IGNORED

No Safe Standing At Ashton Gate..........yet.

Manon

Was inevitable I think, the law was never going to change in time, I think that statement is as positive as it could be in the circumstances, they still seem committed to the idea and stand ready to replace the initial seats with rail seats as soon as possible. I'm happy with that, although also hope it doesn't mean we will open the ground with cheap, temporary seating giving an overall naff look! 

But which of those clubs who meet the criteria for being a pilot/test bed are actively pursuing this, and the relevant licensing from the authorities?

It seems that we are now dependant on others to take the reigns in getting it pushed through.

Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks, gutted mainly for Blagdon Red who has worked tirelessly for this to happen :(

Hey, at least he can have a rest now;-)

Blagdon has played an important role, and regardless of where and when SS finally takes off, he will have been an instrumental part of that.

The whole thing is a joke.

Far too many people involved you have no idea or understanding of the issue. Far too many people who bring Hillsborough as if it's relevant to this.

Simply laughable the amount of numpties out of their depth on the subject but have to justify their salaries by making a decsion that plays well in the media. 

Just to confirm but are City not one of the 'tester stadia' because we are not in Premier League/Championship, we are required by law to have an all seater stadium, or both?

Would this perhaps mean that WHEN we get promoted we would be a team applicable to this? Or do we have to have an all seated stadium?

It was one year yesterday when that interview came out, but I feel I may be the one now asking a "stupid question"

Just to confirm but are City not one of the 'tester stadia' because we are not in Premier League/Championship, we are required by law to have an all seater stadium, or both?

Would this perhaps mean that WHEN we get promoted we would be a team applicable to this? Or do we have to have an all seated stadium?

It was one year yesterday when that interview came out, but I feel I may be the one now asking a "stupid question"

We are not one of the tester stadia because we are ALREADY all seater, regardless of division once you go all seater you can't go back to terracing.

The 21 teams will be those in L1 and L2 who still have terracing so would be allowed to upgrade their terracing to safe standing.

The question is why would they spend the money when they are allowed to keep terracing until they reach the championship?

Although I would imagine that a retro fit would be a lot more expensive than installing from scratch. Not feeling so positive that it will happen any time soon now.

It should'nt be any more expensive as the proposed SS areas are designed to take either standard seating or rail seating.

• SC&T Board Members

We are not one of the tester stadia because we are ALREADY all seater, regardless of division once you go all seater you can't go back to terracing.

The 21 teams will be those in L1 and L2 who still have terracing so would be allowed to upgrade their terracing to safe standing.

The question is why would they spend the money when they are allowed to keep terracing until they reach the championship?

Spot on. So you have to wonder whether the Football League are now still serious or just stalling. Any one of those 21 clubs could install rail seats today. They need no special permission, as their grounds are not subject to the Football Spectators Act. But even if some special permission was indeed required and granted, why would any of those 21 clubs want to do so? They have perfectly adequate standing already, it would, for them, be an unnecessary expense and they would still face the risk of not being able to use the rail seating if they got promoted to the Championship and stayed there for a couple of years.

If you were feeling uncharitable towards the Football League, you could interpret Mr Harvey's remarks as a sign that they wish to kick safe standing into the long grass. I hope I'm wrong.

Spot on. So you have to wonder whether the Football League are now still serious or just stalling. Any one of those 21 clubs could install rail seats today. They need no special permission, as their grounds are not subject to the Football Spectators Act. But even if some special permission was indeed required and granted, why would any of those 21 clubs want to do so? They have perfectly adequate standing already, it would, for them, be an unnecessary expense and they would still face the risk of not being able to use the rail seating if they got promoted to the Championship and stayed there for a couple of years.

If you were feeling uncharitable towards the Football League, you could interpret Mr Harvey's remarks as a sign that they wish to kick safe standing into the long grass. I hope I'm wrong.

Is there scope for those clubs that want it, especially cash rich Prem teams giving 1 or 2 clubs an interest free loan to install the seating?

Surely a Man C or Man U could afford to loan Fleetwood (or more likely a L2 team with less prospects of championship soon) a 300k or whatever it would cost to fix up one side of the ground?

I'd imagine many clubs would jump at the opportunity for what is effectively Rooney's wage for 1 week! i guess though that's the equivalent of 'owning' another club as if you met in the cup it could be deemed a conflict of interest.

• SC&T Board Members

Is there scope for those clubs that want it, especially cash rich Prem teams giving 1 or 2 clubs an interest free loan to install the seating?

Surely a Man C or Man U could afford to loan Fleetwood (or more likely a L2 team with less prospects of championship soon) a 300k or whatever it would cost to fix up one side of the ground?

I'd imagine many clubs would jump at the opportunity for what is effectively Rooney's wage for 1 week! i guess though that's the equivalent of 'owning' another club as if you met in the cup it could be deemed a conflict of interest.

I know of no barrier to this being done. However, I also know of no precedent where one club or even a league collectively has funded a project at another club for the general betterment of the game.

Such funding is the only way I could see a trial happening at one of those 21 clubs. And for that reason, I don't see it happening.

You also have to ask: what would a trial at a ground that still has terraces tell us about the use of rail seating at a ground that is currently all-seater? IMHO, diddly squat. The only meaningful trial of any new product is in the market in which it is intended to be used.

Brunton Park 18,202 Carlisle United F.C. Carlisle Football League Two              

London Road Stadium 15,315 Peterborough United F.C. Peterborough Football League One

Griffin Park 12,300 Brentford F.C. Brentford Football League Championship              

Adams Park 10,284 Wycombe Wanderers F.C. High Wycombe Football League Two

Huish Park 9,565 Yeovil Town F.C. Yeovil Football League One

Abbey Stadium 9,617 Cambridge United F.C. Cambridge Football League Two

Bootham Crescent 7,872 York City F.C. York Football League Two

Glanford Park 9,088 S****horpe United F.C. S****horpe Football League One

St James Park 8,541 Exeter City F.C. Exeter Football League Two

Victoria Park 7,866 Hartlepool United F.C. Hartlepool Football League Two

Broadhall Way 6,722 Stevenage F.C. Stevenage Football League Two            

Whaddon Road 7,066 Cheltenham Town F.C. Cheltenham Football League Two

Pirelli Stadium 6,912 Burton Albion F.C. Burton upon Trent Football League Two

Christie Park 6,400 Morecambe F.C. Morecambe Football League Two                                      

Victoria Road 6,078 Dagenham & Redbridge F.C. London Football League Two                          

Kingsmeadow 4,850 AFC Wimbledon London Football League Two

Rodney Parade 7,850 Newport County A.F.C. Newport Football League Two

Crown Ground 5,057 Accrington Stanley F.C. Accrington Football League Two              

Highbury Stadium 5,327 Fleetwood Town F.C. Fleetwood Football League One

From that list surely the obvious target would be a trial at Brentford their new ground is being built so Griffin Park will get pulled down in 2 years, while that maybe sounds like a waste it means that no permanent modifications need to be made to a stadium that may not end up having rail seating in the future.

Appears to be missing a couple but that's wikipedia for you!

I know of no barrier to this being done. However, I also know of no precedent where one club or even a league collectively has funded a project at another club for the general betterment of the game.

Such funding is the only way I could see a trial happening at one of those 21 clubs. And for that reason, I don't see it happening.

You also have to ask: what would a trial at a ground that still has terraces tell us about the use of rail seating at a ground that is currently all-seater? IMHO, diddly squat. The only meaningful trial of any new product is in the market in which it is intended to be used.

Is there any thought that the FL are quietly waiting for the end of the hillsboro enquiry before finally having the balls to make a real decision?

It will still happen. Just not from day one.

And for that reason, I don't see it happening.

Blimey, that was a quick turnaround blaggo!

What the article doesn't mention is what date shaun harvey made that statement...was it recent , or back in august? I hope the former.

• SC&T Board Members

Brunton Park 18,202 Carlisle United F.C. Carlisle Football League Two              

London Road Stadium 15,315 Peterborough United F.C. Peterborough Football League One

Griffin Park 12,300 Brentford F.C. Brentford Football League Championship              

Adams Park 10,284 Wycombe Wanderers F.C. High Wycombe Football League Two

Huish Park 9,565 Yeovil Town F.C. Yeovil Football League One

Abbey Stadium 9,617 Cambridge United F.C. Cambridge Football League Two

Bootham Crescent 7,872 York City F.C. York Football League Two

Glanford Park 9,088 S****horpe United F.C. S****horpe Football League One

St James Park 8,541 Exeter City F.C. Exeter Football League Two

Victoria Park 7,866 Hartlepool United F.C. Hartlepool Football League Two

Broadhall Way 6,722 Stevenage F.C. Stevenage Football League Two            

Whaddon Road 7,066 Cheltenham Town F.C. Cheltenham Football League Two

Pirelli Stadium 6,912 Burton Albion F.C. Burton upon Trent Football League Two

Christie Park 6,400 Morecambe F.C. Morecambe Football League Two                                      

Victoria Road 6,078 Dagenham & Redbridge F.C. London Football League Two                          

Kingsmeadow 4,850 AFC Wimbledon London Football League Two

Rodney Parade 7,850 Newport County A.F.C. Newport Football League Two

Crown Ground 5,057 Accrington Stanley F.C. Accrington Football League Two              

Highbury Stadium 5,327 Fleetwood Town F.C. Fleetwood Football League One

From that list surely the obvious target would be a trial at Brentford their new ground is being built so Griffin Park will get pulled down in 2 years, while that maybe sounds like a waste it means that no permanent modifications need to be made to a stadium that may not end up having rail seating in the future.

Appears to be missing a couple but that's wikipedia for you!

Brentford would be a good shout. The club is very pro standing and want to install rail seats at Lionel Road if, like City, they can overcome the legislative hurdles. Also being in London, it would be convenient for MPs and the like to wander along and take a look.

However, even though the club is keen, I can't see them wanting to spend the money on Griffin Park, when, as you say, it will be torn down in a few years. However, if the Football League as a body wanted to fund a trial there, I am sure they would be very open to looking at that.

PS: One problem with Brentford, however, is that if they stay in the Championship this season, that's their 'period of grace' used up and strictly speaking they should then fall under the 'all-seater' rule. However, there is precedent for this being delayed where a club is in the process of building a new all-seater ground, i.e. at Cardiff, so they could probably get a stay of execution.

• SC&T Board Members

Blimey, that was a quick turnaround blaggo!

What the article doesn't mention is what date shaun harvey made that statement...was it recent , or back in august? I hope the former.

What I was saying was: safe standing at Ashton Gate will still happen. However, I don't see any trial at one of the 21 clubs that still have terraces happening (unless, as discussed above, it is co-funded by the League as a whole, which, however, would seem highly unlikely, as the clubs have no record of working together in this way).

My understanding is that Harvey's comment is recent.

• SC&T Board Members

Is there any thought that the FL are quietly waiting for the end of the hillsboro enquiry before finally having the balls to make a real decision?

That comes into it to a degree, although there is, of course, no causal link between Hillsborough and standing.

The inquest will go on beyond next July and then, no doubt, be followed by court cases and then in turn by appeals. So waiting for 'Hillsborough to run its course' would mean waiting for perhaps another decade or more. That would suit our opponents down to the ground, but is not a position that we should accept.

Archived