IGNORED

No Safe Standing At Ashton Gate..........yet.

Manon

I must be totally naive here, but if you look at the rail seating that was put into A block of the Atyeo,.............then it's pretty much seating!!! It has a flappy metal plate that swivels up and down to plonk your backside on in exacty the same way as every other seat within the Ateyo stand. 

The only real difference I can see here is that there is a waist high barrier behind the rail seat and the rail seat is made of metal rather than plastic.

So in my simplistic World, we're being told we can't have this style of rail seating because it's different from the existing seating, and yet the only real difference being is a safety barrier????

What would the authorities say if safety barriers we're welded behind every single existing plastic seat, would they then become rail seating by default and therefore not allowed?

It does seem as though the "just put them in" approach could have some merit.

Obviously, if there is a genuine threat of being completely screwed over by the authorities for doing so (be it fines, restrictions on fans, or suddenly not being allowed to use the stadium at all - which would clearly not be acceptable) then it's not at all worth it.

But if it were possible to at least install them, using them precisely in the same way as every other seat in the stadium will be used - i.e. one ticket per seat, allocated seating, without them being locked up - then surely the stadium would still fall under the 'all-seater' criteria with just a small section carrying a slight variation in design.

They only become an area for standing when they are locked up, and double the amount of tickets are allocated specifically for standing. Otherwise they're just a different design of seat.

Obviously, I've not been involved in any conversations about the actual ins and outs of this scenario, and am fully aware that there's probably an understandable reason that this can't happen.

However, whoever made up that understandable reason is a total *****.

Typical of this country's national & local authority's 'no can do' attitude .... Its pervaded through most ruling bodies, organisations and larger institutions from bloody Europe, Westminster, Counties, Town Halls, Parish councils and into every aspect of our once proud nation of innovation.

Another example of how PC correctness, Health & Safety (good idea that's ran rampantly out of control) Red F 'king tape (& red trousers ) everywhere that's combined to stiffl paralyse and suffocate everything from the Houses of Parliament to the flooded houses of the Somerset levels and every f'ing thing in between. God save the NHS (somehow) ..... The no can do efforts of professional 'no men' in this country is a bloody disgrace, a few 'Im alright Jack' people at the top with hardly an ounce of common sense or compassion among them... The idiots wouldn't recognise a good idea ( in this case safe f'ing standing) if they crashed into one in their stupid 20 is Plenty MPH zones - (in wide well lit main roads - crazy!) .....of course corner cutting pavement mounting bendy-buses are welcomed.

The country is fu ** ed when those at the top view the prolification of food banks throughout the land as acceptable without a hint of shame or empathy.

We just love red tape, rules and regs, and anything designed to scupper or put barriers in the way of just about any f'ing thing - look no further than the Village Green situation at Ashton Vale - stadium idea had everything going for it including the benefit of Bristol and the West as a whole, but of course as always someone somewhere contrives to screw that up non sensical impenetrable no can do rulings.

Safe-Standing - great idea, wonderful, why not ? - because No Can Do'ers win yet another round of their favourite destructive game of NO CAN ******* DO!!!

(thanks for your effort Blagdon Red - who knows, maybe just maybe someone somewhere will break the NoCanDo game rules and seek to see if its a better strategy for everyone if he dares to try a Yes Why Not roll of the dice.)

It does seem as though the "just put them in" approach could have some merit.

Obviously, if there is a genuine threat of being completely screwed over by the authorities for doing so (be it fines, restrictions on fans, or suddenly not being allowed to use the stadium at all - which would clearly not be acceptable) then it's not at all worth it.

But if it were possible to at least install them, using them precisely in the same way as every other seat in the stadium will be used - i.e. one ticket per seat, allocated seating, without them being locked up - then surely the stadium would still fall under the 'all-seater' criteria with just a small section carrying a slight variation in design.

They only become an area for standing when they are locked up, and double the amount of tickets are allocated specifically for standing. Otherwise they're just a different design of seat.

Obviously, I've not been involved in any conversations about the actual ins and outs of this scenario, and am fully aware that there's probably an understandable reason that this can't happen.

However, whoever made up that understandable reason is a total prick.

What you have described is the manner the club wished to initially use them but it seems the FL haven't even the balls to allow that

What you have described is the manner the club wished to initially use them but it seems the FL haven't even the balls to allow that

...but here lies the question:

When's a railseat not a railseat and whens a seat a railseat?

Theres no bloody difference!!! So frustrating.

Yeah, I thought that was the original plan, this latest announcement just confused me a bit.

I guess the issue is why can't this still be the plan? If they can justifiably be deemed a seat, to be used in the same way as every other seat, why does it need to be allowed or otherwise by the FL?

It's all just nonsensical semantics, really.

• SC&T Board Members

The stumbling block is more the government than the Football League. If the government (DCMS) would rule that rail seating is indeed "seated accommodation", then we could go ahead with Plan A (i.e. using them as seats for football and standing for rugby). However, because, despite our best efforts over the last year, they have still to rule on that, so Plan A is not yet achievable (though still may be further down the line). Plan B would be operating a safe standing trial, with the rail seats used as standing accommodation for football as well. However, because the Football League have not been able to gain clearance yet for such a trial (and now appear bizarrely to be looking only at the 21 grounds that still have terracing), we can't proceed on that basis either.

It's daft. But logic always prevails in the end and will prevail in this case also ... eventually!

• SC&T Board Members

So if we were building a rugby stadium and decided to put rail seating in, and a football club moved in to play their home games, are you saying the football club would not be able to use the seats but the rugby club would be able to use them?

If the football club had played at tier 2 level for 3 years (not necessarily consecutively) since 1990, then yes that is correct. If it was Rovers, Yeovil or Cheltenham, for instance, then no problem. The rail seats could then be used either as seats or standing accommodation.

If the football club had played at tier 2 level for 3 years (not necessarily consecutively) since 1990, then yes that is correct. If it was Rovers, Yeovil or Cheltenham, for instance, then no problem. The rail seats could then be used either as seats or standing accommodation.

Thought so ...... It was Lee Johnson's fault then!

I agree with Tom, it's all to do with hillsborough. Whenever rail seating/safe standing is mentioned you always get a person connected to hillsborough involved in the conversation. When asked why they are safe in Germany, always get the but you weren't at hillsborough card.

I know it's a bit harsh but it's 25 years now and people have moved on except the people who are determined to make everyone else stay in the past. Things get improved for a reason but the government etc. are running scared of the hillsborough inquest and have no bottle to disagree with them.

Archived