IGNORED

Which Ex-City Player Are You Most Proud Of ?

Major Isewater

Would have to be Super Bobby Taylor for me. Sold because they said he couldn't score goals in a higher league and went on to smash Jeff Astle's goal scoring record at West Brom, and was adored by baggies fans too.... This might be why they still flock to Weston Super Mare year on year as Bob lived in Weston. He also had a great stint at Bolton and played in the Premiership (and scored). If a player is highly respected at each of the clubs he played for well then it says a lot about the kind of bloke he is. Super Bob definitely.... Missed him more than any player after they had left.

I think that Gerry Gow (I saw him play for our youth team, so believe it would be fair to say he was nurtured here!) made it to the top of the game - Manchester City and Scotland International!

Hey, not disagreeing with you fella because Gerry Gow is my hero.

But I prefer to think of his near 400 performances for us scoring nearly 50 goals as being the pinnacle of his career.

Not sure 26 appearances for a relatively poor Man City side and 1 Scotland under-23 cap merit the meaning of your post?

(I'm just sulking cos when I met him he told me he looks out for Man City's result before ours because they have treated him so much better than us as an ex-player when he goes back to watch them, and that was before their current riches)

There's so many 'worthy' ex players.... But for me as a school kid at the time my first hero and rising City star was CHRIS GARLAND...

lived in flats overlooking the ground (can't get much more 'home grown' than that) .

..his mum worked at Wills (along with my aunty who obtained most of the City squads autographs for me)

Garland got close to the England set up - got an under 23 cap, we thought it would lead to more.

For City he played alongside another favourite John the king Galley.

Become Bristol's (I believe first) Hundred Thousand Pound player when transferring to First Division Chelsea.

Played later for Leicester City, before heading back to the Gate finishing his City career as one of famous Ashton Gate Eight....

Mostly though as far as I'm concerned anyone who's been a near neighbour of Del boy & Rodney Trotter deserves to be remembered with pride...:) .....

Thanks for the youthful memories Chris they're luvely jubbley!

There's so many 'worthy' ex players.... But for me as a school kid at the time my first hero and rising City star was CHRIS GARLAND...

lived in flats overlooking the ground (can't get much more 'home grown' than that) .

..his mum worked at Wills (along with my aunty who obtained most of the City squads autographs for me)

Garland got close to the England set up - got an under 23 cap, we thought it would lead to more.

For City he played alongside another favourite John the king Galley.

Become Bristol's (I believe first) Hundred Thousand Pound player when transferring to First Division Chelsea.

Played later for Leicester City, before heading back to the Gate finishing his City career as one of famous Ashton Gate Eight....

Mostly though as far as I'm concerned anyone who's been a near neighbour of Del boy & Rodney Trotter deserves to be remembered with pride...:) .....

Thanks for the youthful memories Chris they're luvely jubbley!

Excellent shout .

There are so many that it would take a few hours to collect together all names. In sixty five years supporting City, there are some whose names do not immediately come to mind, there are hundreds who deserve to be remembered with pride, there are very few who did not give 100% most of the time, sadly more in the last ten years than any of the other decades.

So l will, without any insult intended to those not mentioned choose one or two from each decade.

Fifties. Big John Atyeo, Tommy Burden

Sixties. Mike Gibson, Jack Connor

Seventies. Gerry Gow, Chris Garland

Eighties. Rob Newman, Alan Walsh

Nineties. Brian Tinnion, Martin Scott

Nouhties. Mickey Bell, Marvin Elliott

Tenties(?) Wait until 2019.

• Admin

There are so many that it would take a few hours to collect together all names. In sixty five years supporting City, there are some whose names do not immediately come to mind, there are hundreds who deserve to be remembered with pride, there are very few who did not give 100% most of the time, sadly more in the last ten years than any of the other decades.

So l will, without any insult intended to those not mentioned choose one or two from each decade.

Fifties. Big John Atyeo, Tommy Burden

Sixties. Mike Gibson, Jack Connor

Seventies. Gerry Gow, Chris Garland

Eighties. Rob Newman, Alan Walsh

Nineties. Brian Tinnion, Martin Scott

Nouhties. Mickey Bell, Marvin Elliott

Tenties(?) Wait until 2019.

All City legends indeed, my earlier reply was who was I proud of

not forgetting the cleanest tackler ever to grace the AG pitch.........blige

:laugh:.... Good old Norm, loved them good old days! ...... as much as we all appreciate today's fantastic playing surfaces..... Don't we all secretly yearn for them God awful muddy conditions sometimes?, remember how sometimes players had so much mud over 'em it was hard to see which team they played for yet alone what number was on their backs!

Late sixties early seventies is the era that football grabbed me as a fan, tbh once you're hooked you tend to remain hooked to an extent but not sure if today's sanitised game would have appealed in the same way if attending for first time, as good and technically much better than it used to be, somewhere along its evolution football as a sport has lost something that's for sure.

We have often been a stepping stone to better things for certain players but who fills you with pride when you see them play for their new club ?

For me it's Albert ,i still see him as one of ours and i have an almost Fatherly instinct kick in when i see him play for Boro or Ghana .

Who is it for you ?

Albert for me as well, always check Boro results to see if he's on the score sheet & makes me happy when he is but also gutted that he's no longer with us.

Didnt mean to change the thread to legends. I am proud of so many who have worn the red shirt but one will always be number one. Big John.

Atyeo or Galley? .... Always be number 9's ..in my book of 'number ones' - (number one, no1 Gibbo)

Both no 9's could be worthy number ones of course, -well , numbers 1 and 2 actually. :)

Hey, not disagreeing with you fella because Gerry Gow is my hero.

But I prefer to think of his near 400 performances for us scoring nearly 50 goals as being the pinnacle of his career.

Not sure 26 appearances for a relatively poor Man City side and 1 Scotland under-23 cap merit the meaning of your post?

(I'm just sulking cos when I met him he told me he looks out for Man City's result before ours because they have treated him so much better than us as an ex-player when he goes back to watch them, and that was before their current riches)

They used to really treat their ex-players well. Look at the recognition the Goat got. Probably all changed now they're rich :(

My favourite player is Tom Ritchie, great player I always remember him flying down the wing, I shall not forget his hat trick that he scored, went mental in the east end!

http://youtu.be/k529LiWS0Ps

Next player is Glyn Riley who scored 77 goals for us, he always put 100% in, he reminded me of Gerry gow in a way, I shall never forget his 2 goals against the rovers!

http://youtu.be/ovZ-Ak3ddKk

Another favourite player was Alan Walsh, scored 97 goals.

Archived