IGNORED

The Official Barnsley V Bristol City Match Day Thread.

Reminds me of Tim Brooke Taylor fighting with his sword and a perpetual smile on his face during 'The Last 1948 Show' or whatever it was called and then finishing by saying 'Oh leave me alone' .. also starred John Cleese and its been pulled from the archives recently. That could be said of this City team... or put another way.. simply enjoying their football, looking like they really do, doing it with consummate ease and winning.

Danny Wilson is a fella who could fit in rather well out here; he is remarkably short for an Englishman, perhaps something to do with his pit head ancestral connections? Danny, I believe, has enjoyed one notable promotion in his career; taking his current club to the Premier League for one season. Since then he seems to have been the 'nearly' man for so many clubs ours of course included although i think last season must have been a new low for him. Was that his first relegation? I always liked Mr Wilson and thought he did a good job for us until that fateful day in Cardiff when he failed to even put Lita on the bench. Many will agree that was a big mistake.

Back to now and I am not surprised Barnsley are finding it hard in League 1 this season. In fact i could have envisaged them struggling more as they adjust to a new level after 4-5 seasons in the Championship. A little like us last season perhaps. That does not mean today will be easy for us, far from it. I happen to think today might be as close as we get to losing our Invincible's label. I think we will hold onto albeit by a slender goal margin. More than that I dare not even dream or say.

A big thank you once again though to the undoubtedly fabulous support our travelling City brothers will give us at Oakwell, a ground I remember well, walking over the hill to see quite a big structure looming large in the valley ahead. it was always an enjoyable trip for me up there. Hope it is today for all those going.

0-1

I like the analogy Downend... and I left it so long its too late to edit . Mods need to amend the timeline for that i would suggest.

Reminds me of Tim Brooke Taylor fighting with his sword and a perpetual smile on his face during 'The Last 1948 Show' or whatever it was called and then finishing by saying 'Oh leave me alone' .. also starred John Cleese and its been pulled from the archives recently. That could be said of this City team... or put another way.. simply enjoying their football, looking like they really do, doing it with consummate ease and winning. 

Danny Wilson is a fella who could fit in rather well out here; he is remarkably short for an Englishman,

Depends on your definition of an Englishman Havana.

Is it a man who was born in Wigan or a man who played his international football for Northern Ireland, as they are one and the same in the case of our " Danny Boy"?

I agree he is remarkably short for an Englishman, but a decent height for a Northern Irishman!

Just heading to get the train from Sheffield, looking forward to this immensely. The word from 'Tarn' fans I've spoken to is that they're good going forward but awful at the back- Danny Wilson's modus operandi perhaps?! So I guess we should be expecting goals galore today

I just have a feeling we might come undone today, we seem to have been getting less and less convincing and if Barnsley offer a genuine goal threat, we could ship a few. As someone else said though, if Cotts puts a rocket up them and maybe even makes a few changes, minds may be refocused

I hope we'll see a couple of  unenforced changes today.

A few players have definitely looked jaded to me recently and we're well equipped with suitable replacements to freshen the team up.

It's got to happen sometime and I'd like to see players rested through choice rather than forced through injuries, bans, or complete loss of form.

The 'new' players will be raring to go and determined to make a positive impression and that fresh impetus would surely benefit the team as a whole.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad

I hope we'll see a couple of  unenforced changes today.

A few players have definitely looked jaded to me recently and we're well equipped with suitable replacements to freshen the team up.

It's got to happen sometime and I'd like to see players rested through choice rather than forced through injuries, bans, or complete loss of form.

The 'new' players will be raring to go and determined to make a positive impression and that fresh impetus would surely benefit the team as a whole.

Agreed.

I'll await to see the line-up before making a prediction but if SC doesn't freshen things up then I have a bad feeling we'll come unstuck today. Recent signs that we're running out of steam a little.

Agreed.

I'll await to see the line-up before making a prediction but if SC doesn't freshen things up then I have a bad feeling we'll come unstuck today. Recent signs that we're running out of steam a little.

I hope SC doesn't have a problem with resting players.

We've got some very able players on the bench and I don't think there's any doubt a few who have played every game have been underpar recently.

Players who have given their all for 14 games should welcome a game or two off to get over any niggles and recharge their batteries.

There should be no acrimony with any player being replaced - it's a squad game, time to use ours to benefit everybody.

I hope SC doesn't have a problem with resting players.

We've got some very able players on the bench and I don't think there's any doubt a few who have played every game have been underpar recently.

Players who have given their all for 14 games should welcome a game or two off to get over any niggles and recharge their batteries.

There should be no acrimony with any player being replaced - it's a squad game, time to use ours to benefit everybody.

Agree with you NtB, Reckon no one will mind being dropped either & will understand it's a team game where they'll get back in when the times right as seems we've got a top team spirit & togetherness with everyone fighting for the cause.

From BBC:

'League One preview

Posted at 13:39

Who can stop Bristol City? They've been in top spot since 8 September and have somehow not lost a league game this season. The Invincibles of the West Country, who have a six-point lead, are in the South Yorkshire town of Barnsley today.'

Invincibles of the West Country - I like that!

Whereas the Gas are the Vincibles of the West Country, no doubt... Edited by Aizoon
  • Like 1