IGNORED

Oldham Fan Here, Ready For Next Week

armin_tamzarian

Im really looking forward to my visit to Ashton Gate next week. It should be a great advert for league one football. 2 sides who go for it, try to score goals and play football in the right way.

We have a few ex Bristol players:

James Wilson: Since signing he has been the most consistant player at the club. I know you are top, but Ill be shocked if you have 2 more comfortable centre backs. The lad is class at this level. To get him on a free is an absolute steal.

Liam Kelly: He started this season as a bit if a "boo boy". People on his back, but he has got better with every game. Wins it, keeps it moving, has a shot, I really like him.

Brian Wilson: really consistant, but was injured on tuesday. We won 4-1 so didnt get his place back today. I suspect he will play next week though.

Other players to look for: Mike Jones. Signed on a free from Crawley as he wanted to move back up here. They liked him. The best midfielder we have had since Wellens on current form. Beats people, picks a pass and puts on a wicked dead ball. Compliments Kelly really well.

And obviously Forte: 11 goals in 14 games for him. Half the time he has been played on the wing too. Ibhere has freed him up to get in the box. 6 in his last 5 starts. Looks like he is going to score every game at the moment.

We are playing very well, but next week is a massive step up in class. Ill take a point now, but I hope we go for it. You are obviously a very goid side, but we shouldn't fear you. It has all the makings of an excellent game.

An excellent read, this post - unlike how the Bradford one this time last week degenerated into anything but a 'decent' read, thanks to Bantam up North.

Whilst OAFC were v good against us last year, I for one am surprised at you/them being so high up the division, no disrespect. But that shows my mis-judgement of Lee Johnson to whom, I am happy to say, I never gave stick (or that much, anyway!) Man, is he doing a good job and fair play to him, he deserves a lot of praise. Seems like Oldham are playing good football, too, although that is true of most teams in this div: MK, Chesterfield, Walsall, Swindle, us and more...there are a lot of teams passing it about now.

I have to agree with KITR and think it may turn out to be our first defeat, seems like it is closer with our defence not playing at the same high standard as Aug/Sep.

Choice of team to lose our unbeaten record to? Don't mind it being a good club and team like Oldham. But, then again, I'd rather not lose it at all this season...

Good game on the cards...

Im really looking forward to my visit to Ashton Gate next week. It should be a great advert for league one football. 2 sides who go for it, try to score goals and play football in the right way.

James Wilson: Since signing he has been the most consistant player at the club. I know you are top, but Ill be shocked if you have 2 more comfortable centre backs. The lad is class at this level. To get him on a free is an absolute steal.

Liam Kelly: He started this season as a bit if a "boo boy". People on his back, but he has got better with every game. Wins it, keeps it moving, has a shot, I really like him.

Brian Wilson: really consistant, but was injured on tuesday. We won 4-1 so didnt get his place back today. I suspect he will play next week though.

Other players to look for: Mike Jones. Signed on a free from Crawley as he wanted to move back up here. They liked him. The best midfielder we have had since Wellens on current form. Beats people, picks a pass and puts on a wicked dead ball. Compliments Kelly really well.

And obviously Forte: 11 goals in 14 games for him. Half the time he has been played on the wing too. Ibhere has freed him up to get in the box. 6 in his last 5 starts. Looks like he is going to score every game at the moment.

We are playing very well, but next week is a massive step up in class. Ill take a point now, but I hope we go for it. You are obviously a very goid side, but we shouldn't fear you. It has all the makings of an excellent game.

James Wilson - very highly rated at City as a youngster, but was a victim of a mixture of serious injuries, and perhaps club politics, limiting his opportunities when a popular veteran player in his position was retained for what many feel was 2 seasons too long, no doubt eventually blunting his enthusiasm.

It seems then that his confusion at continually being offered new contracts - good ones too - but always being overlooked (or losing his place to a player returning from injury even when playing well) as well as the injuries, then took their toll on his spirits and determination and eventually made him complacent at AG.

I always rated him and argued his case many times on here so it's no surprise to me that he's doing so well and is considered Oldham's most consistent player and thought to be such a good signing.

Liam Kelly is a really solid all round midfield player at this level with fantastic energy. He was really looking the part when he suffered that  cruciate  injury, and but for that, and the way things inevitably moved on in his long absence, I've little doubt he'd still be a regular at City today.

Wellens was with us in 2006. He was excellent on his day, but had a few off days. He personally needed the move to Doncaster. We have never replaced him til this year.

Im surprised the PNE fan thought we were the best side they have played. We were ok that day, but nowhere near our best. (I don't think they were either)

As for how many we will bring? Ive heard we have only been given 500 tickets. Ill be surprised and disappointed if they don't all go. People are buying Rochdale away tickets though. 2000 have already gone apparently and there is a month to go til that game.

Im a bit worried, by this talk you have of "this may be our first defeat", the planets are aligning too well. You will probably beat us, but lose to Crewe or S****horpe!

As an aside. This is the Bradford local paper match report from saturday.

In my opinion in a number of ways it was the best performance for a long time

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbcfc/11560567.Bradford_City_battered_after_failing_to_heed_warning_about_Oldham/

Was your forum haunted for several days by a Bradford fan desperate to know how you rated several of their players?

Was your forum haunted for several days by a Bradford fan desperate to know how you rated several of their players?

No, but to be honest with the exception of the lad who came on after 25 mins and Hanson who is just a threat due to his size, they were well beaten on the day. He probably didn't want to know.

Sides can throw in an anomoly of a performance on any one day. Scunny were nowhere near as bad as the league table suggests at Boundary Park. Fleetwood were pretty pedestrian, so rating sides on the back of one performance is always pretty difficult

Reading this board, your fans seem more scared of our team than we are of you. I am surprised. I expected to see you all really pleased.

I think we see this as a great opportunity, a shot to nothing. If we lose, we lose, its a game we are not expected to get anything from. We are well ahead of where we thought we would be. No pressure.

You probably have more pressure on you. Its at this point of the season when it stops being a good start. Expectation goes up. You are now there to be shot at, people are mentioning Promotion.

Its a long season... You are undefeated, top and on paper have the best squad in the division.

Enjoy it!

we will beat you 4-0  :fingerscrossed:

An excellent contribution to discussion on this forum.

However..........it's Bristol City. For some reason just "Bristol" gets our backs up. Minor point, but it wouldn't go down well in general conversation.

I think that the one real advantage we have over out main rivals right now (I do say this without looking into it, so I could be well off the mark!) is that we have goals from throughout the team (15 different scorers already) whereas Oldham & priest ton appear to largely rely on one real goal threat each. (Forte & Garner respectively) an injury or suspension could really prove problematic for these other teams, whereas I feel we have more options, despite not having a very large squad.

I think that the one real advantage we have over out main rivals right now (I do say this without looking into it, so I could be well off the mark!) is that we have goals from throughout the team (15 different scorers already) whereas Oldham & priest ton appear to largely rely on one real goal threat each. (Forte & Garner respectively) an injury or suspension could really prove problematic for these other teams, whereas I feel we have more options, despite not having a very large squad.

I agree with that with us, but Forte didnt play vs Walsall (well he came on after 70 mins) and we scored 2. Danny Philliskirk has started scoring, which is a massive bonus.

We have sold 450 of our 490 tickets for Saturday. We have a lot saying they are still to get one. Apparently we have asked for more*

* that is from the ever reliable facebook, so probably false.

How many fans will Oldham be bringing?

I've heard it could be the biggest away following at Ashton Gate so far this season. :chant6ez:

Just been told, by an Oldham fan that they sold their initial allocation of 490 and asked for more but City refused. Seems odd?

If thats true it may be due to the club not wanting to free up a whole block for a few more away fans - they know the whole lot would be snapped up by home supporters. Just a guess..

Playing the devils advocate would that be allowed under Football League rules? There are regulations on minimum percentages for away fans (10%?) which city managed to get special permission from the Football League to reduce to 1100 according to Dave L. Therefore aren't we obligated to at least give them the option of selling up to 1100?

Edit - Its also worth pointing out there are only about 300 tickets left online, more than half of which are in the Lower Dolman with none left in the Upper Dolman or Upper Atyeo so I would be certain we'd sell out any extra allocation.

I agree with the PNE poster - Oldham are the best side we've played so far.

If you aren't at the top of your game they'll win.

Anyone on here heard of the possibility of our little skirmish being on Sky - must be the best game on that weekend.

Hope it's as good a game as last season - same result would be good, too!

Hope JET doesn't play - best opposition player I saw last year.

I agree with the PNE poster - Oldham are the best side we've played so far.

If you aren't at the top of your game they'll win.

Anyone on here heard of the possibility of our little skirmish being on Sky - must be the best game on that weekend.

Hope it's as good a game as last season - same result would be good, too!

Hope JET doesn't play - best opposition player I saw last year.

Thanks for your post .You must have thought long and hard for your user name !

This has to be the most civilised (and well informed) thread involving several opposition fans (not just Oldham) that I have ever seen on this forum.

Keep it up. Slagging each other off just makes me switch off.

I think any 'sensible' post, whether from a City fan or an opposition fan is welcomed - witness our friends Inthenet etc.

The problem arises when posters like Bantam10 etc. go on and on and on....

For any visiting fan, our team

Fielding - goalkeeper. Dodgy kicking. Decent.

Little - good going forward. He's decent.

Flint - tall. Decent.

Ayling - gives away penalties but decent.

Williams - Good defender. Pretty decent.

Smith - Strong, solid, decent.

Elliott - Decent captain

Freeman - Great runner, skillful, he's decent

Bryan - young & decent

Wilbraham - decent

Agard - decent striker

Cotterill - Decent

For any visiting fan, our team

Fielding - goalkeeper. Dodgy kicking. Decent.

Little - good going forward. He's decent.

Flint - tall. Decent.

Ayling - gives away penalties but decent.

Williams - Good defender. Pretty decent.

Smith - Strong, solid, decent.

Elliott - Decent captain

Freeman - Great runner, skillful, he's decent

Bryan - young & decent

Wilbraham - decent

Agard - decent striker

Cotterill - Decent

I've read better posts from you, although this one was fairly decent.

Archived