IGNORED

Two Evils

JM91

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know four people who are actually manure season ticket holders, they are all bristol born n bred, i have put the same question to all of them...." why support utd when we have (at the time) two league teams in bristol ?"

They all come out with the same answer," Football in bristol is crap, i would rather watch a prem team,"

I always reply that if more locals supported their own teams the better those teams become, better attendances, better atmosphere, and more income for the clubs, which in turn allows the clubs to invest in better players etc etc..........all i get is a look of Whooosh

I have a Bristol born in law relative who was a died in the wool Manure fan all through his childhood. He poured total scorn on me for supporting City all my life. I do not meet him very often so when I returned to Bristol last year after eight years in Portugal, imagine my total surprise when I met him this summer.

Conversation went like this.

Me: I suppose you are hoping for a better season without Moyes?

Him: I think we'll have a very good season with promotion at the end of it.

Me: To which league are Man U going to be promoted?

Him: I'm a Bristol City fan and I go to everynhome game.

Me: Do you have a season ticket and if so in which stand?

Him: I work for an Accountants firm and they have a block of seats in the Williams. I go there.

Me: Oh. So you don't pay to go?

Him: Oh no of course not.

What a w****r !

Perhaps the question should be:-

Qu: You are an Avon & Somerset Police horse on duty in Bristol. Who would you rather be punched by:-

A) Scum in sag shirt, or

B) Moron in Man U / Arsenal / Chelski shirt.

Up the reds!!!

TFR

I don't get the "having two teams" thing. I really don't.

Like people who say they support City and then Man U, what happens if they play eachother?

I just don't get how you can have that much passion for more than one team, your team is your team and there just isn't space for another if you ask me.

Would much prefer someone from Bristol supporting r*vers than a prem team.

I look out for certain other teams results, mainly due to friends or family connections, but I would never say I support that other team.

I don't understand why it bothers people so much. I really don't.

It's not a big deal at all yet this discussion always erupts.

I don't enjoy seeing local pubs fill up with plastics when the big prem teams are on the TV, but each to their own I guess - as long as they don't try and give me stick.

Really you should feel sorry for the typical armchair fan. They've no idea what it feels like to follow a football team. They don't experience the atmosphere at games, and am sure as hell that the way I felt when we beat Nottingham Forest 1-0 away in our Championship survival season will outweigh any feeling they've ever had towards a game of football. And that feeling doesn't even compare to Palace away and home in the Play Off Semi Final...

Football's origins arose from tribalism, dating back as far as the 13th century - so I s'pect it's a remnance of that.

The club you 'support' has become more of a trendy, fashion statement in some quarters, much like the clothes you chose to wear. It's quite superficial, not 'real football'.

The media/commercial exploitation, as well as greater geographic mobility have made major impacts on football fandom.

Hhhmmmm , couldn't answer this at first and I wasn't sure why.

In conversation , I find it difficult to take a local seriously when they say i support ManYoo/L'pool/theArse etc , and I have more respect for someone who follows the squatters so I think it comes down to this.

The sight of Prem shirts is so regular I almost don't see them , although I find it funny watching grown men walking to the pub in their bulging new team shirt.  I do however hate the sight of that quartered Jesters shirt.

I don't understand why it bothers people so much. I really don't.

It's not a big deal at all yet this discussion always erupts.

I agree wholeheartedly. In years gone by there was a reason to support your local club more so than them being local. The players were involved in the Community, they were role models, they were not alienated and they were people you looked up to. Now, for the most part and I am not necessarily talking of our current squad, footballers are gobshites, and football is much more of a commodity. Footballers are alien and live a lifestyle most only dream about.

Atmosphere around the grounds is nothing like what it used to be, and for many football has become a placid form of entertainment - a bit like watching a tv programme you enjoy, you don't find yourself watching the clock but equally the passion does not erupt. If someone chooses to affiliate with those that most entertain them then crack on.

* I would caveat that on rare occassions there are huge overspills of passion - Coventry, Forest, Palace in recent times. And if you were a newby to those games no doubt you'd be overcome and find yourself closely affiliated.... but by the flip side, if you were at an alternate game, on a cold tuesday night, when there are empty seats either side of you and the crowd barely doing more than a murmer - which there were at times last season, I can understand why a 5 year old might want the Chelski top.

When we moved away from Briz  I was amazed that in such a rural area ( Mid Welsh Marches ) how many school children and dads alike all have the Chelski, Manc and scouser attire. None of them to the best of my knowledge have ever been to a game other than from their armchair. Even though we are now in our 22nd year up here I have managed to get home and away to see City regularly every year in those 22.  What really gets my stoat drunk though is these armchair preachers telling me what a fool I am spending the money and time supporting what was and still is my Hometown Club when I can watch Premiership football for free at home.  You just see what a lost cause it is. :thumbsup:

When we moved away from Briz  I was amazed that in such a rural area ( Mid Welsh Marches ) how many school children and dads alike all have the Chelski, Manc and scouser attire. None of them to the best of my knowledge have ever been to a game other than from their armchair. Even though we are now in our 22nd year up here I have managed to get home and away to see City regularly every year in those 22.  What really gets my stoat drunk though is these armchair preachers telling me what a fool I am spending the money and time supporting what was and still is my Hometown Club when I can watch Premier League football for free at home.  You just see what a lost cause it is. :thumbsup:

Todays phrase of the day by a country mile !!

I agree wholeheartedly. In years gone by there was a reason to support your local club more so than them being local. The players were involved in the Community, they were role models, they were not alienated and they were people you looked up to. Now, for the most part and I am not necessarily talking of our current squad, footballers are gobshites, and football is much more of a commodity. Footballers are alien and live a lifestyle most only dream about.

Atmosphere around the grounds is nothing like what it used to be, and for many football has become a placid form of entertainment - a bit like watching a tv programme you enjoy, you don't find yourself watching the clock but equally the passion does not erupt. If someone chooses to affiliate with those that most entertain them then crack on.

* I would caveat that on rare occassions there are huge overspills of passion - Coventry, Forest, Palace in recent times. And if you were a newby to those games no doubt you'd be overcome and find yourself closely affiliated.... but by the flip side, if you were at an alternate game, on a cold tuesday night, when there are empty seats either side of you and the crowd barely doing more than a murmer - which there were at times last season, I can understand why a 5 year old might want the Chelski top.

Disagree with your last bit to an extent.

Having been one of the 98 at Hull, those nights are "special" in a way that no plastic can ever understand what that's like.

The show of "appreciation" from the Hull fans, the ironic humour of just two of us, complete strangers, singing the majority of the 90 minutes and the battling 0-0 draw that 4 games previous would have been deemed a good result

Even the shittiest of shit nights have their own memories and are STILL better than watching on the TV

Even the shittiest of shit nights have their own memories and are STILL better than watching on the TV

On a side note, my Gas inlaws had a little 'City relegation party' that night...all sat around the telly, rocking backwards and forwards, dribbling with excitement about the humiliating defeat that promotion bound Hull were DEFINITELY going to inflict on us. When I saw the 0-0 final score I thought they must have been bored shitless watching that. They were beaten at home by Accrington Stanley the next day.

work with 4 plastic scousers ! Honestly drives me mad - i have lost count of the number of arguments i have had with them.

" would rather pay to be entertained and watch good football " bla bla yawn,yes but how many times do you watch them and blow a massive chunk of your wages,? well ! once or twice a year. :facepalm:

the premier league has a tight grip on this type of supporter, all live in Bristol mind !! Ahhhhhh

There are a few other shirts which wind me up whilst driving around the streets of our beautiful but gridlocked city - Argentina to name just one  :grr:

I don't get the "having two teams" thing.  I really don't.

Like people who say they support City and then Man U, what happens if they play eachother?

I just don't get how you can have that much passion for more than one team, your team is your team and there just isn't space for another if you ask me.

Would much prefer someone from Bristol supporting r*vers than a prem team.

I look out for certain other teams results, mainly due to friends or family connections, but I would never say I support that other team.

We love and support Bristol City through and through and it's in the blood. I support Spurs because of family connections.

If they played each other , my choice is Bristol City. No decision.

Archived