IGNORED

Indian Restaurant Recommendatons

Calculus

Very sadly my favourite Indian restaurant has closed - the Rupali in Kingswood. Being going for years and years but unfortunately have now to find a new place to haunt. Any recommendations for good traditional places (great food, pictures of cobras, flock wallpaper etc) gratefully received.

• Admin

Blue Ginger in Whitchurch and it works out cheap as its a BYO. Excellent authentic food, for a bit more up market they have another place in Saltford, Golden Moments, nice family run restaurants, sadly no flock wallpaper.

Another place worth visiting is The Eastern Eye in Bath, food is OK, but great surroundings, old victorian building with high ceiling.

Lastly, the Old India in Corn St.

Very sadly my favourite Indian restaurant has closed - the Rupali in Kingswood. Being going for years and years but unfortunately have now to find a new place to haunt. Any recommendations for good traditional places (great food, pictures of cobras, flock wallpaper etc) gratefully received.

Blimey, that's a shock, I am of an age where I remember going to the Rupali  when it started up, at a guess around 1980 and it was always top notch, back in the day.  Not been there for many years now, I guess there is such a saturation of Indian restaurants/takeaways that many of the "old school" establishments that started up around then have been lost along the way. Not sure if you are looking for a place in that area, and not too sure of the curry scene in Kingswood, other that the Curry Kings in Two Mile Hill Road is our current favourite takeaway/home delivery.  Around where we live there is a brilliant BYO in St Marks Road, Easton (nearly opposite the Sugar Loaf) called the Eastern Taste - would thoroughly recommend.  In town the Khatmandu (spelling?) opposite the Colston Hall is Nepalese/Indian and was really good when we tried it.  Your best bet  is probably to have a look at Trip Advisor on Bristol Restaurants (you can filter Indian Restaurants) and see what suits you best in terms of location/food/ambience. Just be aware of those that have a stream of excellent (often one liner) reviews from those who have only ever made one review on TA, as there is a bit of a thing about offering free pints of Cobra in exchange for use of the Wi-Fi at the restaurant in exchange for a good review!

You won't go far wrong with Tamarind in Downend. Great food, always busy(good sign for any restaurant) service is always attentive with being over the top.

A lot better than the other one down the road (forgot it's name!)

Blimey, that's a shock, I am of an age where I remember going to the Rupali when it started up, at a guess around 1980 and it was always top notch, back in the day. Not been there for many years now, I guess there is such a saturation of Indian restaurants/takeaways that many of the "old school" establishments that started up around then have been lost along the way. Not sure if you are looking for a place in that area, and not too sure of the curry scene in Kingswood, other that the Curry Kings in Two Mile Hill Road is our current favourite takeaway/home delivery. Around where we live there is a brilliant BYO in St Marks Road, Easton (nearly opposite the Sugar Loaf) called the Eastern Taste - would thoroughly recommend. In town the Khatmandu (spelling?) opposite the Colston Hall is Nepalese/Indian and was really good when we tried it. Your best bet is probably to have a look at Trip Advisor on Bristol Restaurants (you can filter Indian Restaurants) and see what suits you best in terms of location/food/ambience. Just be aware of those that have a stream of excellent (often one liner) reviews from those who have only ever made one review on TA, as there is a bit of a thing about offering free pints of Cobra in exchange for use of the Wi-Fi at the restaurant in exchange for a good review!

For those wanting a change from the usual English-ised versions of Bengali dishes, Nepalese food is great. Same spicing, but wider range of veg (and meat) dishes. Lots feature pumpkin - which works bloody great with curry sauces. As well as the one in Colston St, there's a good one in Clifton Village.

Otibers further afield might fancy trying South Indian dining. The Mint & Mustard has restaurants in Taunton and Weston. It's Michelin recommended, but don't let that put you off, their restaurants are neither poncey or pricey. Try a dosa (a kind of thick pancake); they do one stuffed with very spicy potato mash which is to die for!

For those wanting a change from the usual English-ised versions of Bengali dishes, Nepalese food is great. Same spicing, but wider range of veg (and meat) dishes. Lots feature pumpkin - which works bloody great with curry sauces. As well as the one in Colston St, there's a good one in Clifton Village.

Otibers further afield might fancy trying South Indian dining. The Mint & Mustard has restaurants in Taunton and Weston. It's Michelin recommended, but don't let that put you off, their restaurants are neither poncey or pricey. Try a dosa (a kind of thick pancake); they do one stuffed with very spicy potato mash which is to die for!

Nepalese food is awesome. Best place I've been to is the brilliantly named Yak Yeti Yak in Bath. http://www.yakyetiyak.co.uk/

Best Indian in Bristol IMO is Coronation Curry House. Tamarind and Ganesha good too. A shame to see Mehula on Park Street has closed down as that was high-end, contemporary Indian food at its best.

Ganesha for me, and also Krishnas on the Triangle in Clifton is you fancy Southern Indian food.

Not impressed with Ganesha but only went once so who knows, krishnas was very good, was in the Kathmandu t'other night and was a bit meh TBH.

Sheesh Mahal on glous rd has been consistently good for ever and ever and i used to love oh Calcutta but i hear it might have gone off a bit.

I live by the taj brasserie and its good but a bit impersonal, my fave is easton taste on St marks rd coz its bog standard, its got the flock paper and it costs peanuts. :cool:

Eastern Eye on Queen's Street, Newton Abbot. Well worth the 200 mile round trip (although, perhaps, now not quite as good as it once was). Then a short walk on to The Cider Bar on East Street.

Guaranteed to clear any blocked drain after a session in those two establishments!

The Rupali had a visit from the health inspectors that didn't go to well, hence the closure, I used to go there a lot when |I was playing football, used to love it there.

Just a tad further afield, if any of you are ever in Glasgow or Edinburgh, try the Kama Sutra in Sauchiehall Street (Glasgow) or the one in Edinburgh in Spittal Street (Or if it's not there it's close by) . Both do seriously good food, and garlic naans to die for :)

Archived