IGNORED

Why Have We Lost 2 On The Bounce?

reddogkev

Any clear answers?

Just hope that a negative mindset doesn't creep in now; any doubt lingering on the mind's of the players could see us slip down the table quite quickly.

Thinking back to my original question, are we really that dependent on Wade Elliot?

God I hope we don't lose the next match.

Great interplay at the back and middle but no real threat upfront.

its never going to be easy when teams come and park the bus. You have to hand it to Preston, they sat 7 behind the ball and took one of omly a handful of chances.

we need to learn to do the same.

No goals.

Simples.

Not that simple, we can "not lose" by not conceeding and scoring no goals;

Elliot was a miss for both the 2 games, but both were close and we could have easily got a point or more from either or both. If we replayed them again I wouldn't bet on us not doing so.

We are still top of the league (although MKD could now overtake us) and we still have one of the best squads in this div and we will come again.

Great interplay at the back and middle but no real threat upfront.

Apart from the 17 shots, you mean.

The magic just didn't work today. Wilbs missed an absolute sitter early on and Aggard spurned about three very good chances.

Preston didn't offer much, apart from Olympic standard diving, and on another day we might have won 2-1.

A few of our players didn't have great games and the goal we conceded was stupid, but Preston then parked the bus and were happy to time-waste their way to victory, which their smoke-bomb happy supporters celebrated as if they'd just won the Champions League.

The magic just didn't work today. Wilbs missed an absolute sitter early on and Aggard spurned about three very good chances.

Preston didn't offer much, apart from Olympic standard diving, and on another day we might have won 2-1.

A few of our players didn't have great games and the goal we conceded was stupid, but Preston then parked the bus and were happy to time-waste their way to victory, which their smoke-bomb happy supporters celebrated as if they'd just won the Champions League.

Quite.

no goals.

We've played worse than the last 2 games and won this season. On another day we play like that and put Preston down 3/4-0 . They had one good chance and defended for the rest of the game.

I do think we need to become a bit more cynical in our play though. I think that's the fourth penalty dive that's gone unpunished against us this season. perhaps we should be adding an hours training on at the end of each session to practice diving, feigning injury, winding up opposition and general unsportsmanlike like behaviour. I don't think its any coincidence the 3 worse teams for it have been Chesterfield,Swindon and Preston who we've dropped points against. Others teams must be working that out. Match fire with fire or( Olympic diving with sniper shooting). 

We've played worse than the last 2 games and won this season. On another day we play like that and put Preston down 3/4-0 . They had one good chance and defended for the rest of the game.

I do think we need to become a bit more cynical in our play though. I think that's the fourth penalty dive that's gone unpunished against us this season. perhaps we should be adding an hours training on at the end of each session to practice diving, feigning injury, winding up opposition and general unsportsmanlike like behaviour. I don't think its any coincidence the 3 worse teams for it have been Chesterfield,Swindon and Preston who we've dropped points against. Others teams must be working that out. Match fire with fire or( Olympic diving with sniper shooting). 

Not true.

17 shots, 4 on target.  Preston had 7 attempts, all on target.  You don't score goals unless you get your shots on target.

We have lost 2 games because it is a 46 game season and invariably we will lose. The fact they were on the bounce imo - coincidence largely.

Take Swindon - sending off early on, lose our rhythm, backs to the wall for a while, didn't get the break when we were on top. Frankly away, m4 derby whatever, 10 men for 90 minutes (incl stoppage time) against 3rd in the league lets be absolutely honest if we came away with 1 point it would have been a monumental result and probably as good as any we have got so far and will get this year.

Preston - reshuffle in the middle of the park doesn't help. Not that we are so reliant on Elliot, but it is an integral role he plays and is one of about 4 others who take them out of the team and some serious adjustment is needed. As for the game itself I think we should take A LOT of positives.

This is a team in 2nd position. They scored with a rare forray (they had plenty of shots but most of those weren't even half chances), but if you really think about the game Wilbraham should've scored, Agard should've scored two, Flint also could have netted. Now think about their chances - they scored there's and that was about it other than some hopeful punts.

Just one of those days but actually I think we were damn unlucky to not get 3 points, let alone a draw. Some days it just happens like that where no matter what you do you aren't going to score and that one chance away goes it: we've done the reverse plenty of times.

But based on that performance, to do that to second place and our nearest rival, massive signs of encouragement and all the more reason why we shouldn't fear anyone in the league.

17 shots, 4 on target. Preston had 7 attempts, all on target. You don't score goals unless you get your shots on target.

There's lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Which of those 7 shots, other than the goal,troubled Fielding? They were tame catches in the most.

Their main missed opportunity was on the first half when Garner I think broke through and couldn't get his shot off with just Frank to beat.

After the break, they hardly got out their half.

There's lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Which of those 7 shots, other than the goal,troubled Fielding? They were tame catches in the most.

Their main missed opportunity was on the first half when Garner I think broke through and couldn't get his shot off with just Frank to beat.

After the break, they hardly got out their half.

2 of them straight at Fielding in each half should of been goals. We certainly had more chances but they could of easily scored a few more.

2 of them straight at Fielding in each half should of been goals. We certainly had more chances but they could of easily scored a few more.

Agreed, but if you look at a stat saying they had.7 shots on target and we had 4 someone not at the game could conclude we were second best. In fact, most of these shots on target were powerless and completely untroubling. We had more and better chances at closer range, but failed to take them. If everyone buried everythingthey should have, it could have well ended up 4-2.

Agreed, but if you look at a start saying they had.7 shots on target and we had 4 someone not at the game could conclude we were second best. In fact, most of these shots on target were powerless and completely untroubling. We had more and better chances at closer range, but failed to take them. If everyone buried everythingthey should have, it could have well ended up 4-2.

Totally agree with you RR.

Had Wilbs scored after rounding the keeper early on, it would have played out completely differently. None of the chances thereafter would have still presented themselves and Preston would have had to do something rather than bide their time and wait to catch us out as they did. Wether that would have meant that we sat deeper and deeper until they equalised or that we exposed them at the back and went on to win comfortably we will never know. Likewise, Agard swinging and missing at a great chance with just seconds gone of the restart could have had us looking for a winner for the following 45 mins but it wasn't to be. Preston were getting away with too much physically and it didn't help that Pack seemed to be on their side every now and again.

People at the club were getting really concerned that while our long unbeaten run continued the usual negativity surrounding the club was being drowned out by fans' more positive outlook and opinions. 

Worried that this positive fans vibe could upset the mind set of the players, SL had a word with the manager and encouraged him to change things around a little - "a sending off and tell the strikers to miss a few so we manage a couple of defeats and that should do the job", were the comments I've heard bandied about - as getting fans back to their normal, negative state, would restore equilibrium at the club and all will be well again.

Thing is SL only wanted a couple of defeats - mission accomplished SC  so no more defeats please!!!

Archived