IGNORED

Phil Hughes

phantom

• Admin

Just heard the report about Austalian cricketer Phil Hughes, who is currently in a critical condition in hospital after getting struck on his helmet by a bouncer.

He then leant forward after being struck, then just fell face first into the pitch!

He was stretchered off before being taken to hospital, he was set to be taken by helicopter but like Jules Bianchi in F1 recently was deemed a risk flying at altitude with a head trauma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRo5Z1Rnz0

Fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery!!

Awful news to wake up to. Hope he pulls through.

Just interesting on his helmet I guess being hit on a certain part of it can cause these things to happen?

Side of the head most probably.

Thing is when you're being a bowled a bouncer, your instant reaction is to turn away or duck ( if you have the time )

Turning your head away is probably the worst thing to do, you're better off taking the hit full on your helmet where the badges are usually situated.

Can't imagine how the bowler is feeling as well.

Just been reading about it on Aussie media - former teammates

Sounds like Hughes is one of the sports good guys from what I've read, and on the verge of getting his place back in the test team with Clarke injured. Just shocking, in a coma now apparently

Can't imagine how the bowler is feeling as well.

Okay. If you don't want to hurt someone you wouldn't bounce it. The whole idea is to rough em up or make them play a shot. I have no sympathy for the bowler. Anyone doing bouncers knows there is a chance of serious injury. So if you are going to beat yourself up, why bowl it?

Anyhow. Hughes fault for taking his eyes off the ball and turning his head away from it. I feel sorry for the guy but very silly thing to do for a pro batsman

Okay. If you don't want to hurt someone you wouldn't bounce it. The whole idea is to rough em up or make them play a shot. I have no sympathy for the bowler. Anyone doing bouncers knows there is a chance of serious injury. So if you are going to beat yourself up, why bowl it?

Anyhow. Hughes fault for taking his eyes off the ball and turning his head away from it. I feel sorry for the guy but very silly thing to do for a pro batsman

Pretty sure he won't be feeling ok. I get what you are saying but how many bouncers have hit someone on the helmet and caused life threatening injuries over the years?

Pretty sure he won't be feeling ok. I get what you are saying but how many bouncers have hit someone on the helmet and caused life threatening injuries over the years?

Got to be 4 or 5 I remember (was it) Phil simmons WI player had a depressed skull fracture. Plenty of others that were inches away from a similar fate.

Be it with a helmet or not, there have been enough head injuries to at the very least question the use of bouncers. Love watching then, but they are dangerous, that is the only reason they are used, to scare the batsman

PS didn't Boucher have to retire after a bouncer to the face?

Shocking accident to happen. From the news bulletins it sounds very serious. Like everyone else I hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Dark day for cricket.

Just saw another Australian TV report. Hughes actually stopped breathing whilst lying on the crease. Poor bugger. Saved by mouth to mouth resuscitation.

Got to be 4 or 5 I remember (was it) Phil simmons WI player had a depressed skull fracture. Plenty of others that were inches away from a similar fate.

Be it with a helmet or not, there have been enough head injuries to at the very least question the use of bouncers. Love watching then, but they are dangerous, that is the only reason they are used, to scare the batsman

Didn't Boucher get hit whilst wicketkeeping??

• Admin

Was at the game when Mark Boucher got injured, a bail hit him in the eye in a freak injury that was nothing to do with the ball bowled

Phil Simmons was hit on the head whilst playing in Bristol against Glos', but to be fair that wasn't a bouncer and was more to do with the fact that the game was being played in very bad light, Simmons admitted that he lost the site of the ball. The level of light played in was looked at after this game. You are though correct his heart did stop that day and got emerency surgery at Frenchay.

Disagree about not having sympathy with the bowler, the "bouncer" is part and parcel of the game, it is the reason why a batsman has the choice of wearing a helmet, he wouldn't have intended to hurt Phil Hughes, in fact they are good mates off of the pitch too

Should Hughes not pull through imagine the impact that would have on his family and Abbot as well. He just bowled a bouncer which we all know is a perfectly legitimate delivery and this tragic accident happened.

Both Hughes and Abbot have been very unfortunate. it could have happened to any batsman or any fast bowler. Obviously Hughes has been seriously injured whilst Aboot injurys will be psychological.

Anyone who doesn't think the bowlers feels bad doesn't know cricket. Legit delivery to rough up but nobody wants to actually harm anyone badly. I've top edged a ball into my own forehead facing 70mph. Obviously not the same as Hughes but suffered pretty badly. Hughes seems a genuinely nice fellow. Just hope he pulls through and can play the game again as seems to be a genuine enthusiast.

Anyone who doesn't think the bowlers feels bad doesn't know cricket. Legit delivery to rough up but nobody wants to actually harm anyone badly. I've top edged a ball into my own forehead facing 70mph. Obviously not the same as Hughes but suffered pretty badly. Hughes seems a genuinely nice fellow. Just hope he pulls through and can play the game again as seems to be a genuine enthusiast.

I didn't say he doesn't feel bad, but at the end of the day you said it yourself, it is done to rough up players, if you don't want something bad to happen to someone with a cricket ball, then don't rough em up!  at the end of the day what you have done as a bowler, is lost control of the ball, you have pitched it short and you have no idea what trajectory it is going to take if it hits a crack.  

Don't get me wrong, i love watching the odd short pitched ball, but everyone knows there is potential for serious injury if something goes wrong as you have given away your control of the ball.  Yes it is part of the game, yes it harsh and you feel sorry for those who get injured, but Bowlers must, and should take responsibility when it does go wrong, all well saying I fell bad.. hey ho sonny Jim, you were the one trying to "Rough him Up"

Total different matter if you bowl line and length and the thing shots up and does damage, as the intention of the bowler is different.

Don't get me wrong, i love watching the odd short pitched ball, but everyone knows there is potential for serious injury if something goes wrong as you have given away your control of the ball.  Yes it is part of the game, yes it harsh and you feel sorry for those who get injured, but Bowlers must, and should take responsibility when it does go wrong, all well saying I fell bad.. hey ho sonny Jim, you were the one trying to "Rough him Up"

Total different matter if you bowl line and length and the thing shots up and does damage, as the intention of the bowler is different.

I think you're the one who is being harsh.

It's a legitimate tactic/delivery for the bowler to "rough up" the batsman and its upto the batsman to cope with it. The weaker batsmen ie the opposition bowlers are rarely subjected to fast short pitched bowling because by and large they don't have the batting skills and therefore are more likely to get hurt and the bowling team know that.

Abbot is in no way at fault for what happened. It was a sorry and dreadful accident.

I think you're the one who is being harsh.

It's a legitimate tactic/delivery for the bowler to "rough up" the batsman and its upto the batsman to cope with it. The weaker batsmen ie the opposition bowlers are rarely subjected to fast short pitched bowling because by and large they don't have the batting skills and therefore are more likely to get hurt and the bowling team know that.

Abbot is in no way at fault for what happened. It was a sorry and dreadful accident.

Fair enough, but don't be surprised when you hurt someone!

I am not really a follower of cricket,but I am quite surprised how many people seem to think this kind of bowling is an acceptable part of the bowlers armoury.Are bowlers really prepared to gamble when they know the consequences can be so grave?If a bowler throws a similar bowl in a game today and the same thing happens will you still say there is nothing wrong with that it is just part of the game?

Bad news indeed. Not sure how the friends and family will cope with this seeing the whole incident was filmed and blazed across media outlets across the world.

All the very best to them in a unbelievably awful horrible time in their lives.

I am not really a follower of cricket,but I am quite surprised how many people seem to think this kind of bowling is an acceptable part of the bowlers armoury.Are bowlers really prepared to gamble when they know the consequences can be so grave?If a bowler throws a similar bowl in a game today and the same thing happens will you still say there is nothing wrong with that it is just part of the game?

It's been coming. A Aussie umpire died a few Yeats back after being hit on the head with the ball from a fielder. Shows you what can happen if you get hit in the wrong place. Head, neck or heart, any hard knocks can potentially kill you there. So to rough you up with the intention of hitting a player was always going to end up with a fatality like this at some point.

Unfortunately for the Hughes family it is their child/grandson/brother/cousin/friend

Archived