IGNORED

Anyone Else Hate The Loan System?

ooRya

Personally I really hate it.

I can see the possible need for "emergency loans", but I hate the fact that this is so over abused these days.

I'd love it if loans were completely scrapped and teams could only field players that were actually contracted. But with the "bigger/wealthier" clubs filling their books with players that will never get a game with them, and with the smaller clubs (us included) seemingly so willing to go along with it, I can never see it changing.

Personally I really hate it.

I can see the possible need for "emergency loans", but I hate the fact that this is so over abused these days.

I'd love it if loans were completely scrapped and teams could only field players that were actually contracted. But with the "bigger/wealthier" clubs filling their books with players that will never get a game with them, and with the smaller clubs (us included) seemingly so willing to go along with it, I can never see it changing.

It is a system that is abused by some clubs who get in the maximum number of loans rather than agreeing longer term contracts. There are clubs not too far distant from us in League One like this.

But it can also work for City because compared with clubs in League Two and below, we are the big club. For the first time, City with SC and KB in charge, we appear to be using the loan system to get valuable game time in competitive football this season for Reid, Burns, Wynter, Mafuta and Monelle. They will learn more at the loan clubs against hardened pros than under 21/18 games against other boys.

But it can also work for City because compared with clubs in League Two and below, we are the big club. For the first time, City with SC and KB in charge, we appear to be using the loan system to get valuable game time in competitive football this season for Reid, Burns, Wynter, Mafuta and Monelle. They will learn more at the loan clubs against hardened pros than under 21/18 games against other boys.

Accept what you are saying, and yes while the system allows it, of course City should try and benefit from it.

But personally, I would rather there was a decent reserve league for our players to get game time in.

I've always been wary of loan players for a number of reasons -

1) why aren't they playing for thier contracted club?

2) are they any better than what we already have?

3) They often put in decent performances in an effort to win a deal but when they get one they go off the boil.

4) There's a real danger that if the loan player walks into the team that it can piss off regular first teasers, particularly the player whose position they've taken. Disruption is not what City need right now.

5) I find it really hard to remember them once they've finished the loan period.

I've always been wary of loan players for a number of reasons -

1) why aren't they playing for thier contracted club?

2) are they any better than what we already have?

3) They often put in decent performances in an effort to win a deal but when they get one they go off the boil.

4) There's a real danger that if the loan player walks into the team that it can piss off regular first teasers, particularly the player whose position they've taken. Disruption is not what City need right now.

5) I find it really hard to remember them once they've finished the loan period.

Well most loans are from a higher league to a lower one.

For example Bobby Reid has hardly set the world alight here yet the Plymouth fans I know rave about him.

So the answers are:

1) Because they're not good enough (or not yet good enough) for the level of the club they're contracted to

2) Very possibly if they're at a club in a higher division

In that example it's wins all round. Bobby is happy because he's playing football, we're happy because one of our young prospects is getting vital development and expeience and Plymouth are happy because he's better than what they have.

In that example it's wins all round. Bobby is happy because he's playing football, we're happy because one of our young prospects is getting vital development and expeience and Plymouth are happy because he's better than what they have.

I can see the benefit of younger players gaining game time and experience by going out on loan. Reid is a classic example of that. That said I do have a worry about incoming loans on such a short length of time. City had Caulker for a season long loan which was fine but a month loan hardly seems worth the effort.

Of course when Swindon use the loan system it's 'abuse', *rolls eyes*. :)

I'd like to see short term loans stopped and have the Football League insist on half/full season loans only. Possibly with a restriction of how many at one time. Swindon are currently focusing on young loan players on longer spells and it's working really well, I'm never too overjoyed when players aged 25+ arrive (why are you going out on loan? Attitude? Poor form? Injury? etc)

English football is currently structured to destroy the lower leagues. I know folk have been saying that for years but you only have to look at formally established clubs floating around Non-League to know it's happening slowly but surely.

The system is not perfect, but it's probably the best option with the way clubs now operate. In the past clubs ran reserve teams who played regular matches. This meant players not in the first team had regular semi competitive games. Now, with small squads, a senior player not in the first team will hardly play.

The old system also didn't help the development of younger players who could spend years in the reserves, never break through, and then be released. Now they can go to another club and play competitive matches. This indicates at an early stage just how good, or not, they are.

Archived