IGNORED

Thierry Henry Retires

Robbored

At his peak he was literally unplayable. One of the best of all time

I'm glad someone else agrees with.

Plus I'm not just rating Henry since the start of the PL. In my view he's one of the best of all time and that includes Jimmy Greaves who when I was a boy was the best goalscorer of his generation. Henry was as good if not better than Greaves when it came to putting the ball in the net.

Plus I'm not just rating Henry since the start of the PL. In my view he's one of the best of all time and that includes Jimmy Greaves who when I was a boy was the best goalscorer of his generation. Henry was as good if not better than Greaves when it came to putting the ball in the net.

Does anyone really care?

Why does everything get whittled down to 'Premier League history'? The bloody thing has only been around for 20 years.

Why not compare him to top flight history?

You'll like this then: http://www.free-elements.com/England/ts0.html

Interestingly, in 126 years there have been 245 players to score over 100 goals.

In the 22 years of Premier League, 24 players have scored over 100 goals.

Abundantly clear by the ratios that the Premier League has made strikers worse.  :shifty:

Other than the facts of Henry being less than a goal every other game domestically and internationally, and Greaves being 2 in 3 domestically and 3 in 4 internationally, you are right.

Henry might well be a more complete player, but as a pure goalscorer, Greaves was the better of the 2.

Henry was embarrassed and full of remorse after the handball. Apologised and said it was "an instinctive reaction". Not that many Irish fans accepted that.

Do many of us point at Zindanes sending off in the World Cup final as a black mark against one of the Worlds greatest players?

Not me in both cases.

Yep but a few days later when France were already safely qualified and he realised exactly what people were thinking of him, I don't blame the Irish fans, that would be like English fans forgiving the Argentinian cheating drug taking, nutbar.

Other than the facts of Henry being less than a goal every other game domestically and internationally, and Greaves being 2 in 3 domestically and 3 in 4 internationally, you are right.

Henry might well be a more complete player, but as a pure goalscorer, Greaves was the better of the 2.

Those stats are not a fair reflection of different eras. Both natural goal scorers and the best of their generations, but very different generations. In Greaves era he scored loads of goals from in and around the 6 yard box with the occaisional one from other areas. He wasn't necessarily a team player either, he'd go missing for 89 mins and then pop up with the winner.

Henry on the other hand not only scored goals he plenty of made goals as well. He scored from all over the pitch. His pace was electric and his balls skills almost equal to those of legend Jimmy Greaves.

Obviously we'll never know how brilliant Greaves would have been in today's game up against fitter and better organised defences, but I like to think he'd have done the business.

Funny old thread when everyone knows the whole ethos of football is about cheating, appeal for a throw when you know you played it last...cheating, ditto corner, fall over in area claim penalty...cheating, claim something, anything when a goal goes in...cheating, pull opponents shirt in area at corner...cheating, it's just the way the game is played from kids to internationals.

Tierry Henry great player, probably Bergkamp just shaded him in the Premiership IMO.

So you will turn your back on all the great things that Henry did and all the competitions won on the basis of one hand ball?

You will end up with a pretty short list if you rule out anyone that has broken a rule. 

Yeah I would because he did it knowing he was putting Ireland out of the World Cup. Arrogant cheating ...............

John Atyeo, Geoff Bradford would not have dreamt of doing such a thing

The most complete player in Premier League history, no one comes near him for me, not even Shearer

Bergkamp was obviously better.

The most underrated footballer of all time in the sense that to me he is in the top 10 greatest ever.

Far more of a footballing genius than Henry.

Henry was a great footballer though.

Can't disagree that Bergkamp was a top class player. He had sublime skills and his goal against Newcastle was truly brilliant. With him and Henry in the same squad the Arsenal of those days were their best ever.

No doubt it's a tough call between the two but for me Henry shades it largely because he had the one asset that Bergkamp didn't have - lighting pace.

Can't disagree that Bergkamp was a top class player. He had sublime skills and his goal against Newcastle was truly brilliant. With him and Henry in the same squad the Arsenal of those days were their best ever.

No doubt it's a tough call between the two but for me Henry shades it largely because he had the one asset that Bergkamp didn't have - lighting pace.

I still think that one was a fluke, it looked good, but I'm not sure he meant it

As for Greaves, he was my Dad's hero, best goalscorer he ever saw. Dad died in 91, I often wonder what he'd think of the goalscorers since, how he'd rate them against JG. No one is ever as good as your hero when you're a kid though, are they? For me, never seen a better footballer than Glenn Hoddle or a better cricketer than Ian Botham

Shame you missed the early 90's to the late 00's then. There was this bloke called Warne. Best cricketer that ever lived.

Don't get me wrong Fordy, I could watch Warne bowl all day, but it wasn't the same as watching Botham as a young lad

The one player that has come close since, Adam Gilchrist. Even against England, I wanted him to bat all day, which I think he succeeded in a few times!

Shame you missed the early 90's to the late 00's then. There was this bloke called Warne. Best cricketer that ever lived.

I don't think anyone who follows cricket would disagree that Warne was a breed apart. He could do almost anything with the ball in his hand. He has a great cricket brain as well and his ability to work out the batsman was almost spooky. He used the same gift when captain of different teams. His field placing were uncanny.

Good bloke as well. A real mans man.

If anyone hasn't seen Sky's Masterclass series then look out for the repeats. They are all fascinating but especially the one involving Warne.

Yeah I would because he did it knowing he was putting Ireland out of the World Cup. Arrogant cheating ...............

John Atyeo, Geoff Bradford would not have dreamt of doing such a thing

Fair enough. Each to their own.

But would you care if it had been against another team? For instance if it had meant Italy or Germany hadn't qualified would you even still remember it? This wasn't Suarez at the world cup- it was a qualifier and it would have probably completely passed under the radar here if it hadn't have involved Ireland.

I consider Maradona a great despite the hand of god, I consider Messi a great despite imitating the hand of god on a couple of occasions, I consider Ronaldo a great despite producing a horrific dive against Celta Vigo the othe rweek. I would say Rivaldo is up there despite what he did against Turkey. In the English game I would say Ian Rush was one of the greatest all time goal scorers but I remember watching him deliberately blocking off Brian Gunn so John Barnes could tap in against Norwich.

these are just players i remember watching play and I'm sure I could list more and I'm just as sure that if I was to go further back there would be just as many of these types of indiscretions. Whilst not trying to defend any of these actions I find it over the top to ignore everything else that a player was for one incident. 

Don't get me wrong Fordy, I could watch Warne bowl all day, but it wasn't the same as watching Botham as a young lad

The one player that has come close since, Adam Gilchrist. Even against England, I wanted him to bat all day, which I think he succeeded in a few times!

You watched Beefy as a lad, I watched Warney.

We're from different eras Ade, perhaps that explains our disagreement!?

I think had you taken his athleticism away he wouldn't have been as good a footballer as Bergkamp.

Anyway, despite his talent, I found him quite nauseating. Yes he was good but he wasn't the best of all time and only did it for a limited time span, yet he thought he was god's gift. Was always hoping Roy Keane would target him, as he would have cried.

The French public are none too keen on him either.

Thierry Henry..... the best striker to play in the premier league. I have a soft spot for Arsenal and loved watching him when he was there. My favourite number is 14 because that's what he wore.  Also if I was playing for England and the only way to get us through was to handball it late on I would...

Terry henry was simply one of the best stikers I've seen and one of the best in the prem, he truely was a blessed and great player,

people won't like him because thats human nature, to me he was a genius, and no I don't think of that handball I think of that goal he scored against united,

Archived