IGNORED

Agard (Merged)

Bourne End Red

Needs to tweak his first touch and composure in front of goal but other than that, a quality addition. We do need another 'finisher' type striker who has a bit of pace about them though. Not sure if Doyle is the right option. Would prefer we wait until we get to the championship and see what is available then.

I was not at the match but from the commentary sounded like a typical Agard performance, faultless workrate but missed great chance to level it by shooting over bar from 7 yards.

Remember his goals for Rotherham last season all came from him playing more of a right-wing position not a central striker. For me we need a Nicky Maynard / Sam Baldock type who can put away the chances when they come...

I was not at the match but from the commentary sounded like a typical Agard performance, faultless workrate but missed great chance to level it by shooting over bar from 7 yards.

Remember his goals for Rotherham last season all came from him playing more of a right-wing position not a central striker. For me we need a Nicky Maynard / Sam Baldock type who can put away the chances when they come...

I thought he was very poor today, missed chances and didn't keep the ball well enough, Matt Smith looked the  better option when he came on. How the **** we didn't win the game ,let alone take a point is beyond me. Apart from the bent**** of a ref !

Are you having a laugh?! I lost count the amount of 1 on 1's Baldock missed during his time here! I remember at home to MK last season he missed 4 in the first half alone!

Are you having a laugh?! I lost count the amount of 1 on 1's Baldock missed during his time here! I remember at home to MK last season he missed 4 in the first half alone!

Well he obviously managed to put away 25 of them!!!

If you're the sort of player who is always sprinting into the box, you'll get more chances and - by the law of averages - miss more shots. Sam got a boot to a lot of balls other players wouldn't reach, but sometimes he couldn't quite control things having reached his target with such speed. If he could convert all those chances, he'd be playing in La Liga or somewhere.

The fact is, he got there and stuck a lot in and was the league's top scorer.

My worry, should the hypothetical situation of him being loaned back to us occur, would be that his experiences at the Falmer Stadium may have shot his confidence and we wouldn't be getting the same player back. You certainly couldn't fault his workrate and attitude when he was here. He left wishing us well and for entirely understandable reasons.

Well he obviously managed to put away 25 of them!!!

If you're the sort of player who is always sprinting into the box, you'll get more chances and - by the law of averages - miss more shots. Sam got a boot to a lot of balls other players wouldn't reach, but sometimes he couldn't quite control things having reached his target with such speed. If he could convert all those chances, he'd be playing in La Liga or somewhere.

The fact is, he got there and stuck a lot in and was the league's top scorer.

My worry, should the hypothetical situation of him being loaned back to us occur, would be that his experiences at the Falmer Stadium may have shot his confidence and we wouldn't be getting the same player back. You certainly couldn't fault his workrate and attitude when he was here. He left wishing us well and for entirely understandable reasons.

Absolutely, I liked him but there's no denying that his finishing was very poor. The way I saw it his movement was/is Premier League standard, his finishing unfortunately is League 1/2. That's why he's yet to cut it in the Championship. I wouldn't say no to having him back on loan, I was just very surprised to see him described as a clinical finisher! 

Absolutely, I liked him but there's no denying that his finishing was very poor. The way I saw it his movement was/is Premier League standard, his finishing unfortunately is League 1/2. That's why he's yet to cut it in the Championship. I wouldn't say no to having him back on loan, I was just very surprised to see him described as a clinical finisher! 

I dunno. All strikers miss seemingly open goals - well maybe not guys in the Messi league - but those who play in the third tier of English football do!

Wilbs missed one today by all accounts, and Agard managed to spurn a chance I think my aged mum would have converted at our last home game.

I don't think Baldock is guilty of anything more than getting into the box loads of times, so people expect him to score. People talk about him losing his confidence under SOD, but I never felt that. I just felt he is a small striker, who is not going to out jump 6'3" defenders for balls lumped upfield aimed at the back of his head. Our tactics under SOD didn't suit him. Once we started playing a faster, passing game, he showed his class at this level.

I dunno. All strikers miss seemingly open goals - well maybe not guys in the Messi league - but those who play in the third tier of English football do!

Wilbs missed one today by all accounts, and Agard managed to spurn a chance I think my aged mum would have converted at our last home game.

I don't think Baldock is guilty of anything more than getting into the box loads of times, so people expect him to score. People talk about him losing his confidence under SOD, but I never felt that. I just felt he is a small striker, who is not going to out jump 6'3" defenders for balls lumped upfield aimed at the back of his head. Our tactics under SOD didn't suit him. Once we started playing a faster, passing game, he showed his class at this level.

Yeah you make some fair points there. Agree that Baldock's form improved a lot in the second half last season. He does get himself into a lot of scoring positions so naturally he will miss more, but I still think he missed far more than he should. That's what prevents him from being a top Championship goalscorer. If we want a clinical striker then Leon Clarke is our man, but from what I gather he's quite lazy so he doesn't offer a lot of movement. Will take a chance if it comes though

A bit like Baldock in a way, in that he will do all the stuff a good footballer will do but cant score for toffee. Baldocks shot to goals ratio was terrible and so is Agards.

+EDIT+

Before I get slagged for stating that Baldock was crap in front of goal, I have added a google search for you.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Baldock+missed+chances&spell=1

Must admit i have been disappointed with agard and i also believe that because of his blistering start to his career with us , wilbraham has got off quite lightly despite some rather inept displays recently.

I will proabably be castigated for this, but he is currently looking like the player that many on here expected him to be when he first arrived...a bit of a carthorse. 

Must admit i have been disappointed with agard and i also believe that because of his blistering start to his career with us , wilbraham has got off quite lightly despite some rather inept displays recently.

I will proabably be castigated for this, but he is currently looking like the player that many on here expected him to be when he first arrived...a bit of a carthorse.

Wilbraham is what he is. He works hard, and he will wade in with 12-15 goals tops. Agree with you when you say he has gone off the boil a bit lately.

Agard....said it from the start, jury is still out for me. I got mullered on the Fleetwood match day thread when I said I had my doubts.

We are looking pretty toothless going forward at present. Couldnt score against Crewe and scraped a winner against Crawley. When you look at MK Dons and Swindon lately....plenty of goals (ok, not Swindon yesterday?

We are two quality additions away from staying in the top two in my opinion

Wilbraham is what he is. He works hard, and he will wade in with 12-15 goals tops. Agree with you when you say he has gone off the boil a bit lately.

He's already scored 13, so I think you're being a bit off in your prediction.

He's had a few games where despite chances it hasn't quite come off for him, but can anyone doubt his form will return? Hopefully on Dec 26th!

What I like about the man is for a very active striker in his mid-30s, his fitness is phenomenal.

As well as goals, he brings excellent hold-up play, tackling and inspiration to the side and something younger pros haven't always got: guile. Wilbs knows how to make the ref see when he's been fouled, he knows how to deal with defenders cutting up rough with him without attracting a card, he's been around and he knows the tricks of the game, and how to deal with them.

I will proabably be castigated for this, but he is currently looking like the player that many on here expected him to be when he first arrived...a bit of a carthorse.

Merry Christmas Jeff.

While I agree Wilbs hasn't been at his best of late, he hasn't looked anything like a cart horse. His touch is quality and puts Agard's to shame. Not to mention his relentless work rate.

Agard....said it from the start, jury is still out for me. I got mullered on the Fleetwood match day thread when I said I had my doubts.

We are looking pretty toothless going forward at present. Couldnt score against Crewe and scraped a winner against Crawley. When you look at MK Dons and Swindon lately....plenty of goals (ok, not Swindon yesterday?

We are two quality additions away from staying in the top two in my opinion

Horses for courses I suppose,but if the course we run on changes to a championship one so will a number of the horses,ie a few ever-presents this season won't be starting every game.no doubt the manager will have an eye on what's needed as we progress.

And any other striker in L1 for that matter. I would have Maynard back in a flash regardless of the cloud he left under. Would be the best striker in this league by some distance. If only.

I'd go get Ched Evans, would score a bucket load in this division. Would divide opinion guaranteed but I'd go for it.

I'd go get Ched Evans, would score a bucket load in this division. Would divide opinion guaranteed but I'd go for it.

He has the ability but his history means it's unlikely any league club will sign him. He's having his conviction reviewed which might change some opinions, if he's successful, but I wouldn't want him at the club. How could he be involved in any community activities?

He's already scored 13, so I think you're being a bit off in your prediction.

He's had a few games where despite chances it hasn't quite come off for him, but can anyone doubt his form will return? Hopefully on Dec 26th!

What I like about the man is for a very active striker in his mid-30s, his fitness is phenomenal.

As well as goals, he brings excellent hold-up play, tackling and inspiration to the side and something younger pros haven't always got: guile. Wilbs knows how to make the ref see when he's been fouled, he knows how to deal with defenders cutting up rough with him without attracting a card, he's been around and he knows the tricks of the game, and how to deal with them.

You sum him up perfectly, but would like to add if I may, the fact that he is always talking to the players around him, very quick to hand out praise but also a rollicking when needed. Very Captain-like. A fantastic team player and a hugely valuable member of the squad. We are very privileged to have him in League One.

Archived