IGNORED

Eoin Doyle

Londoner

Well it is pretty obvious he's moving on, Chesterfield could only name 4 subs today and yet he was one of them.

I'm not so sure about him, his record before this season is pretty average and he's gone off the boil of late with 4 goals in his last 11 games

It seems obvious we do need an alternative to the excellent Wilbraham and Agard though and JET patently isn't it in Cotterill's eyes.

I like the sound of him, and if we can't tempt players like him in now we never will. I guess it might be clubs like us in league one or strugglers in the Championship who would look at him. As far as I know he hasn't played in the Championship so is unproven as such at a higher level.

Another paddy madden. Not convinced but SC has been very shrewd so far in the transfer market.

Yes and no.

Shrewd with several players- Wilbraham, Agard ( overall), Freeman, Ellliott , Smith and Little  but less so with  El Abd on a three year contract, the ineffective Tyrone Barnett and the mystifyingly poor Matt Smith.

He's good and better than many previous managers but not unable to make errors of judgement in signings or very odd substitutions. Nothing yet appearing from the reserves/academy.

On balance  a lot more right than wrong but SL will not be writing any blank cheques for him.

Heard from a guy in Sheffield who claims to have close ties to Pemberton that Afobe is a serious target for us and that 'money isn't an object' as far as SL is concerned.

I don't know the guy well enough to vouch for his credibility as far as his football connections are concerned, but I can't think of any reason that he would have to lie to me. He's a Sheff Utd fan and thinks very highly of us as a club and set of fans and not the type to lie for the sake of winding people up.

Heard from a guy in Sheffield who claims to have close ties to Pemberton that Afobe is a serious target for us and that 'money isn't an object' as far as SL is concerned.

I don't know the guy well enough to vouch for his credibility as far as his football connections are concerned, but I can't think of any reason that he would have to lie to me. He's a Sheff Utd fan and thinks very highly of us as a club and set of fans and not the type to lie for the sake of winding people up.

This guy ,his name does n't start with a 'K' does it ? Sounds a bit like Kitchen ?

Are transfer fees subject to FFP or is it just wages?

By the way, those questioning Doyle's scoring record before this season, Diego Costa's record prior to the 2013/14 season is poor, never scoring above 10 goals in the league. now he's considered one of the best strikers in the game, we should definetly take a punt on a player who's scored 19 goals and it's not even December.

By the way, those questioning Doyle's scoring record before this season, Diego Costa's record prior to the 2013/14 season is poor, never scoring above 10 goals in the league. now he's considered one of the best strikers in the game, we should definetly take a punt on a player who's scored 19 goals and it's not even December.

Very true. Costa is a great example of a player who has flourished later (relatively) in his career.

The club have to judge whether Doyle's purple patch is a one off or likely to continue given good service.

If we're to pay a substantial fee for him they'll also have to believe he can continue to be prolific at Championship level.

On his career stats, his age and likely ability to improve further I'd have real doubts.

Would he play with Wilbs. replacing recent big money signing Agard? How would that affect Agard - who has hardly been a failure - and what knock on effect on morale in the dressing room?

He certainly won't be replacing Wilbs. this season, and I doubt he'll come as first reserve.

I'm not sure an experienced, expensive new forward who expects a first team place is what is required right now. Wouldn't signing a lively, pacy loan player, keeping our options for permanent signings open at the end of the season, be a better bet?

The club need to be absolutely certain about Doyle, and on the evidence of his career so far it's hard to see how they could be.

Yes and no.

Shrewd with several players- Wilbraham, Agard ( overall), Freeman, Ellliott , Smith and Little but less so with El Abd on a three year contract, the ineffective Tyrone Barnett and the mystifyingly poor Matt Smith.

He's good and better than many previous managers but not unable to make errors of judgement in signings or very odd substitutions. Nothing yet appearing from the reserves/academy.

On balance a lot more right than wrong but SL will not be writing any blank cheques for him.

Sorry I meant to say shrewd in the transfer market this season. Last season we were in a different position & SC had come half way through the season. O'Dismal had also used a large chunk of the budget so whilst he made mistakes in Barnett & El-Abd I think SC's hands were tied to an extent.

What has pleased me about his transfer dealings is that he knew who he wanted so went and got them. More importantly to fit into the system he wanted to play. He hasn't chopped or changed it or shoe horned players in. I was a little perplexed at the time as to why he signed Ayling and Little but it turned out to be fantastic business and they are both perfect for the system.

Back to Doyle. I just can't see this being worth the gamble. He's not better than what we have but I guess it depends on a number of things such as fee, wages and contract length.

It will also be interesting in time to see if SC brings through any of the youth.

If we can turn a 35 year old Aaron Wilbraham into a goal scoring striker im sure we can keep Doyles form up.

We didn't turn him into a goal scoring striker, he had the ability but dropped a level.

However it must be said we signed Wilbs by accident, which let's face it is not the proper way to address our striking options, I just hope Cotts and all have a decent plan to bring someone in rather than relying on meeting someone on the next holiday. 

However it must be said we signed Wilbs by accident, which let's face it is not the proper way to address our striking options, I just hope Cotts and all have a decent plan to bring someone in rather than relying on meeting someone on the next holiday.

That's a bit unfair. I'm pretty sure Cotts has enquired about him in January but he wanted to fight for his spot at Palace.

We didn't turn him into a goal scoring striker, he had the ability but dropped a level.

You do realise we were previously scouting him and Cotts' jokey anecdote about just bumping into him in a hotel wasn't literally true, don't you?

Perhaps Cotts should take his next holiday in Brazil !

Archived