IGNORED

Ched Evans

Real Red

I really hope it's not us- And I really believe it isn't us.

Leaving all personal morals aside as well as the argument of if he's guilty/not guilty and looking at it from a purely selfish bristol City point of view... it would sour what has been a great season so far, cover us in negative press and divide the fans.

Looking at it from a moral stand point I would find it difficult to show any support to a team that had him or anyone with a similar conviction in anyway.

I really hope it's not us- And I really believe it isn't us.

Leaving all personal morals aside as well as the argument of if he's guilty/not guilty and looking at it from a purely selfish bristol City point of view... it would sour what has been a great season so far, cover us in negative press and divide the fans.

Looking at it from a moral stand point I would find it difficult to show any support to a team that had him or anyone with a similar conviction in anyway.

Totally agree. The thought of young kids with Evans on the back of the shirt is enough to make you feel sick.

He has a point. I avoid his films but mainly because they are shit.

I really enjoyed Departed and Shooter.

I didn't realise that he was a convicted thug, had blinded someone and made racist assaults.

He says that he paid for his crimes , does not feel guilty and wakes up feeling good about himself.

I really don't want us to sign him either.

He was found guilty by a jury of committing the crime - he also did the time. His sentence is now complete so he should be allowed to earn a living. That said footballers are role models for society so he needs to show some genuine remorse while training at Oldham. The fact he is still appealing his sentence tells me he believes he has done nothing wrong.

thing that I find strange with this is that he has always said he was innocent but he never appealed the verdict or sentence! if that was me and I was convinced I didn't do it I would be appealing it for sure

He has appealed, twice, and the conviction remains. He's currently appealing for the 3rd time.

To be fair, our judicial process is pretty solid in this country, is it not?

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been convicted unless there was very strong evidence against him. Just because he denies it doesn't mean he didn't do it. Lots of people try and convince themselves they're innocent and can't admit the truth.

I'd say it was one of the most farcical and easily abused in the world, it rarely seems to protect the innocent (IMO) but back to the point...

Contrast public attitude to Ched Evans and Mike Tyson who was hero worshipped here and doesn't even try to make out he was innocent - I know he's banned now from the UK but why the difference?

He was found guilty by a jury of committing the crime - he also did the time. His sentence is now complete so he should be allowed to earn a living. That said footballers are role models for society so he needs to show some genuine remorse while training at Oldham. The fact he is still appealing his sentence tells me he believes he has done nothing wrong.

I think the remorse thing is the issue.

I and many others are all for giving people a second chance and recognising that he's done his time. The point is he WAS convicted but is continually claiming his innocence. Until he either shows some remorse or wins an appeal (if he is in fact innocent) it makes it very difficult for clubs to morally give him that second chance. It's too full of contradiction and takes the piss out of the victim by continually saying he was wrongly convicted.

Obviously if he's innocent he should be appealing to clear his name. But, assuming he's guilty as he was convicted, I think if he had come out of prison and shown remorse he'd proably be a Sheff Utd player now and will have been for a couple of months.

We can debate this for ever and a day, but the facts are that he was charged and found guilty by his peers, it matters neither here or there what may or may not happen in the future, the fact still remains that he is a convicted rapist and as such anyone with an ounce of morals should not touch this guy with a barge pole.

Haven't really read much of this thread but I couldn't really feel more strongly about this. The first main point being, we have a very valuable person here, who could earn a decent wedge and pay a decent amount of tax. What benefit do we attain by forcing every job move he has to be incredibly difficult and tarnishing the reputation(s) of the various companies he works for in future? There has to be a stage where he has served his time, that's what our society is based on is it not? At what point do we deem an act so heinous that he should simply drift doing nothing for the rest of his life while we pay for him to live as we as a society are not allowing him to make his own way?

Secondly, the details of the case are incredibly sketchy. The woman cannot remember what happened, and therefore she was unable to give consent and therefore she must have been raped, according to the courts. There were 2 footballers present, why was one freed and one prosecuted? If we reach a point where we're claiming that any woman who cannot remember having sex the night before was 'raped' then we would be in a very tricky situation indeed, and dare I say it, there would probably be a fair few 'rapists' on this board! I'm not for one minute suggesting there is such thing as a 'good' rape, but there is a clear distinction between this and a violent rape down an alley or something. Add to the fact that as a footballer, who collectively are very easily criticised down to their profession due to their behaviour, he was most likely made an example of, I actually think the handling of this Ched Evans saga is absolute nonsense. Let's remember this is all IF she failed to give consent.

Let him get on with his career. The difference in cost to our nation between allowing him to play football and supporting him as he's unable to get a job would be huge. If we don't believe in rehabilitation (not that this necessarily applies) and re-accepting someone after they've paid their time then what do we have as a society?

We can debate this for ever and a day, but the facts are that he was charged and found guilty by his peers, it matters neither here or there what may or may not happen in the future, the fact still remains that he is a convicted rapist and as such anyone with an ounce of morals should not touch this guy with a barge pole.

As I said in my previous post, this is too simple minded an approach. Would you categorise him alongside someone who violently threatened a girl with a knife in a secluded location?

Archived