IGNORED

Bristol Sport "disappointed" With Atmosphere At Ag

CyderInACan

Can I just clarify.... People here are worried about there being a sanitised atmosphere, but then get precious when a club official (rightly) states that the atmosphere was crap..?

Doesn't that just show that we all want the same thing..?

Can I just clarify.... People here are worried about there being a sanitised atmosphere, but then get precious when a club official (rightly) states that the atmosphere was crap..?

Andrew Billingham is not a club official. He is also not fan [?]. He may be totally unaware of the history of the clubs support and its recent past.

Football is being sanitised everywhere, Bristol City's fans bucked that trend in one stand at least for a time. To understand why, what has changed and how things can improve he should look further into the post of the Supporters Trust.

Doesn't that just show that we all want the same thing..? No.

His thing will be a different thing ... Just look at them boards behind the goal.

Billers is right but also wrong or summat.

The Nigels of Croydon are now looked upon as the Mutts nuts. Our chaps in their way once were better.

Its the officials and suits who are getting the sanitiser out.

Some of us are engaging. Email to Andrew Billingham:

Andrew

I am sure you will have seen the reaction that your tweet about atmosphere has provoked. Much of it is captured in replies to you on twitter (see the WTMS links) and in this thread, however, I would draw your attention to "Harry's" post:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167018-bristol-sport-disappointed-with-atmosphere-at-ag/?p=2167694

Harry's perspective is very much where I am. There is a huge risk of a sanitised environment post-redevelopment if we are not careful.

My twitter reply about recognising those that have tried over the years simply reflects the history of some fans trying to make a difference. Like with most clubs, there is a history. In our case, campaigns to open the East End, unrestricted access, unreserved seating, surfer flags, flags hung up, flags being waved around, unique songs, streamers, red and white nights etc. Some degrees of success, but then there is health & safety, ground regulations and varying approaches to stewarding; all of which have become barriers.

This is a great piece about the Palace Holmesdale fanatics and what they have been through. Note the challenges they had in the early days and how much depended on working with a club board that eventually embraced it:

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/holmesdale-fanatics-crystal-palace-fc.html

Enough of the past. Here is a good example of another club listening to fans and embracing change:

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/south-stand-unreserved-seating-2203018.aspx

The Supporters Club & Trust is consulting within the fan base to construct a meaningful survey on unreserved seating, singing sections and atmosphere in general. It should be ready to roll shortly. The results can go to FAN, the Ashton Gate Ltd board if appropriate and of course to Bristol Sport. This, I hope, will help inform the approach to ticket sales for the 2015/16 season. I believe it is vital to establish habits and behaviour next season because once people have chosen their seats, it will be difficult to shift them.

Obviously happy to expand on any of this.

Regards

Stuart

You do some great stuff for the SC and Trust, but really another survey, (then a meeting etc, etc ) is that really needed?  is it not clear enough what is required; a non reserved singing area behind the goal with a permanent place to display flags :dunno: are them upstairs really that far away from many fans hopes/wishes? or is it just the pound notes they are interested in.

Suit in talking s*** shocker.

Atmosphere died in the 70s. The push to 'family' values killed that stone dead along with the all seater stadia.

How many songs has AB started? How many chants has AB joined in with? Answer, a big fat zero.

Just a guy passing through with no attachment to the club beyond a paycheck.

Bloke's a jackass.

Would anyone sing and chant in a cinema? No and that is what the 'modern' day football experience is closest to, going to the movies.

I wish good luck to those that are pushing for an unreserved and/or singing section in the future. Unfortunately you're going to have to

deal with corporate football as envisioned by BS (and isn't that fitting) which is at odds with a vibrant, colourful and noisy atmosphere

whilst maintaining a head in the sand attitude as to why said atmosphere is lacking.

You do some great stuff for the SC and Trust, but really another survey, (then a meeting etc, etc ) is that really needed?  is it not clear enough what is required; a non reserved singing area behind the goal with a permanent place to display flags :dunno: are them upstairs really that far away from many fans hopes/wishes? or is it just the pound notes they are interested in.

Interestingly, not everyone wants to be behind the goal apparently. We always try to present evidenced based arguments. It will be a quick survey, if lots respond we can try and influence ticketing for next season.

• Admin

Interestingly, not everyone wants to be behind the goal apparently. We always try to present evidenced based arguments. It will be a quick survey, if lots respond we can try and influence ticketing for next season.

As it is an open letter to Mr Billingham, assume that you will share his reply?

Just my 2 penny worth. Our most vocal singers need to be nearer the away fans, they should have been housed the other end of the Williams. It's an important part of a football match to have 'banter' with opposing fans, wind them up a bit, out sing them. It's almost impossible to do, or at least largely unrewarding if you haven't even got them in your sight line. Too late now for this season but it was a huge mistake that was made and accepted IMO.

Just my 2 penny worth. Our most vocal singers need to be nearer the away fans, they should have been housed the other end of the Williams. It's an important part of a football match to have 'banter' with opposing fans, wind them up a bit, out sing them. It's almost impossible to do, or at least largely unrewarding if you haven't even got them in your sight line. Too late now for this season but it was a huge mistake that was made and accepted IMO.

If, as would seem sensible, for away fans to have the Atyeo (quotas of 10% for league and 15% for cups) next season when we will get more away fans in the Championship, then I believe the best place for the singers, flag wavers,standing ups would be blocks A and B in the Dolman. The closest place next to the away fans.

No additional stewarding for segregation.

The club could sell all tickets for a numbered seat, but with the understanding that it is "Pick your own seat on the day" thus avoiding the 10% reduction.

I also hope that a sufficient number of young noisy fans come in the new South Stand to get us old codgers going as well.

If, as would seem sensible, for away fans to have the Atyeo (quotas of 10% for league and 15% for cups) next season when we will get more away fans in the Championship, then I believe the best place for the singers, flag wavers,standing ups would be blocks A and B in the Dolman. The closest place next to the away fans.

No additional stewarding for segregation.

The club could sell all tickets for a numbered seat, but with the understanding that it is "Pick your own seat on the day" thus avoiding the 10% reduction.

I also hope that a sufficient number of young noisy fans come in the new South Stand to get us old codgers going as well.

• Admin

Is the nearest area not going to be the Atyeo stand?

We already know the limit on away tickets will be the same next season - with the new stand opening, if sold correctly many would move into that end leaving space for people to get behind the goal again.

Moving people out of A and B blocks is a complete non starter - can you imagine it now.... apparently you don't make any noise so we are moving you to another part of the ground so that others can

Is the nearest area not going to be the Atyeo stand?

We already know the limit on away tickets will be the same next season - with the new stand opening, if sold correctly many would move into that end leaving space for people to get behind the goal again.

Moving people out of A and B blocks is a complete non starter - can you imagine it now.... apparently you don't make any noise so we are moving you to another part of the ground so that others can

Wouldn't it make more sense to have everyone in the new Lower Dolman where there are no existing Season Ticket issues? Surely BCFC would be happy to

co-ordinate this as long as it was allocated seating.

The problem is it is expected that such an area will have a tolerant attitude to standing therefore those who wish to sit in the upper dolman will have their view obstructed.

• Admin

Wouldn't it make more sense to have everyone in the new Lower Dolman where there are no existing Season Ticket issues?  Surely BCFC would be happy to

co-ordinate this as long as it was allocated seating.

There are season ticket holders in there - those that have been in there this season will move back once the work is completed.

The ONLY way this will work is to start from scratch, that means either the new EE or the new Williams.

If the new Williams is to be flooded with corporate sales etc, never going to be housed in there.

Fully expect many "like minded" people will do like the temporary move to the Williams for one game last season and get it sorted amongst themselves

The club have stated categorically that there will be no unreserved seating next season due to the 10% reduction in capacity at a time when they already have a reduced capacity. This is fair enough.

The trouble is, if they sell Season Tickets in the new EE then the problem will arise once the rebuild is complete that an unreserved area won't be able to be allocated because there are ST holders there.

An unreserved area in the new Williams once finished seems unpractical as the commercial and corporate stuff will be in there, and the best place for an unreserved area is at an end anyway.

Therefore, I would suggest that what needs to happen is an area of the new EE is set aside next season and have no Season Tickets sold there. POTD tickets can still be sold in this area next season on an allocated basis, but once the rebuild is complete, there is then a full section of the new EE to have as unreserved with no season ticket holders to be moved.

This could only be sorted before Season tickets for next season go on sale though and would seem to be the only way forward.

But there were still 6,500 City fans there.  Why were only 200 trying?

Exactly.  I like to think of myself as one of those "loud chaps" but I've really no love for the section I'm standing in and my behaviour has changed in recent games.

Booze.  Then, maybe.....more booze.  I find booze always helps a little as well.

This is why the behaviours of the "loud chaps" is different this year.  From game to game, I don't know where I'll be stood, I don't know if I'll be able to stand with my loyal group around me, I don't know if the people I'm stood with are there to sing, or because it was the cheapest option, singing anything toward the away fans is pointless as it won't be heard, plus stewards continually giving me the eye if I shout something 'non-pc', or if I stand in a stairwell (we all have to put up with a little disruption during the rebuild Mr Steward, Dave L told me, so if it means I am half-standing in a yellow zone because there's no room anywhere else, then maybe you'll just have to live with it this year.  Believe me, if there's an emergency, I won't be standing still in the yellow box holding everyone else up!!)

I've read with great interest all of the threads here this season about the atmosphere, numerous times there have been quite brutal posts aimed toward those in the 'singing' section, or ex-East Enders, saying how poor we've been.  How many of the people on here who've posted about a lack of atmosphere actually stood up and started something off themselves???  I'm afraid that this season, there are a few hundred who are trying very very hard, but not many are joining in (not just in the Williams block but all around the ground).  I've been heartened a couple of time when I've heard the Dolman or Ayteo from where I stand, it's great, but it needs more people to join in and more often.  Anyone who criticises the atmosphere but doesn't attempt to start or join a song themselves is a hypocrite.

The last few years in the EE have been some of the best times I've had watching City (despite the performances on the pitch).  I was able to get there when I wanted, in the knowledge my regular place was secure - everyone had their own zone and you knew who'd be there week to week.  That builds camaraderie amongst the fans, everyone knows who is who, we have have a chat, a laugh, a sing, a shout.  There are blokes I see in the EE but not anywhere else and we're mates.  I know nothing about them apart from they're an EE-er.  But we know enough to have respect for each other and have a great time for 90 mins.  All of this is missing this year from the Williams block.  There is zero camaraderie.  A lot of lads have lost the love for it.

The solution.

1) An unreserved area, large enough to provide all of us with the room to 'find our zone'.

2) A relaxed stance on standing.

3) A group of stewards who are not over-officious and allow for the odd bit of non-pc fun.

4) An area within a fair distance of the away support - this naturally creates noise.

5) Allowance of flags, at any time of the game, not in designated boxes and specific times.

6) An area for flags to hang - this provides the contingent with pride.

7) The area NOT to be the cheapest - this has resulted in fans in the 'singing' section who are not actually bothered about singing.

8) The allowance of a bar / hut which serves alcohol whenever fans want it - not a small 65 capacity area in which you can't get served until the half-time whistle has blown.

9) Said bar not to show the game live on TV - I am guilty of this myself, but it means people sit in a bar rather than in the stand.

You need booze, flags, a relaxed attitude, people to feel 'at home' in their surroundings and it needs to be near the away support.

Will it happen - unlikely.

Absolutely spot on.

I agree with the comments RE: the east end. My first season ticket was in the Williams in our League 1 promotion season and it was terrible. The people around me were alright but there was no atmosphere. I went in the East End for the Middlesbrough FA Cup game (I think that was the same season) and fell in love.

Next season the EE opened (I think) and I moved my season ticket to there. That place was special, as Harry said you seen the same people in the same place every week. I knew exactly where to go and was able to make a lot of noise around like minded people. I love Away games for the atmosphere, and the EE was pretty much the same experience, probably better most of the time.

I went to one game in the Williams this season, and it wasn't quite the same. There was enough of us trying, but I didn't know or recognise anyone around me and many didn't seem interested in singing except the odd "Come on you reds" at a corner.

The "singing section" needs to be near the away fans. Not so the "netters" can gesticulate and goad them, but so we can engage in "banter" with the away fans and that leads to more fun and more imaginative chants.

There also needs to be a bit of a "blind eye" turned by stewards. Away fans up and down the country are "allowed" to stand, its very rare the Stewards wil try and stop them and the powers that be aren't making a song and dance about it so surely it can be done in the home ends as well (as long as you aren't obstructing anyones view). Its hard to get an atmosphere when your all sat down.

• Admin

The club have stated categorically that there will be no unreserved seating next season due to the 10% reduction in capacity at a time when they already have a reduced capacity. This is fair enough.

Assume that you have read the post where it confirms that this statement is nonsense?  http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167086-10-reduction-in-unreserved-areas/#entry2169454

Assume that you have read the post where it confirms that this statement is nonsense?  http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167086-10-reduction-in-unreserved-areas/#entry2169454

I had, it's certainly open to interpretation, but at the moment the club appear to be interpreting it as a 10% reduction is needed, although it may be that the powers that be that grant the licence are saying this, I wouldn't know. What is definite right now is that City are saying there will be a 10% reduction for unreserved so there won't be any unreserved next season. Time is getting short before ST go on sale for next season, therefore some sort of agreement will have to be reached before then if there is to ever be any chance of unreserved seating in the new EE.

Archived