IGNORED

Parking Charge Notice - South Bristol Trade Park

MarcusX

If its a private company that has charged you, you don't have to pay.  Ignore all correspondance, don't respond to any of it, and they will give up after a few months.

My sister got one from Gordano services, few letters later (one of which was a solicitors letter from the companies own solicitors and not one that did any other business) and she has heard nothing for about 6 months now.

The only parking tickets you have to pay are those issued by the police or a traffic warden.

Approach this is one of two ways:

Contact the land owner and explain the notice you've received and explain you were told verbally it would be ok to park there. Ask them to contact the parking company to remove the notice.

OR

Follow the appeal process on the notice and state that you didn't see the correct signage, if they don't accept it, ask for an appeal reference and lodge a case with POPLA (free to you, however it costs the parking company).

Whatever you choose to do, DO NOT ignore the notices and DO NOT admit anything to the parking company. I'm confident you won't pay a single penny.

if I do the first one, does that rule out doing the second one? Does admitting to parking there under agreement forgo my right to appeal?

On this occasion the garage was shut, do no one confirmed. however they have in the past allowed it.

I may go into the garage on Thursday and see if perhaps they'll give me a dated letter of permission or something - they seem alright in there.

I got one from there not this Boxing Day but last, had letters from them threatening court action but just totally ignored them and haven't heard anything for a couple of months, I did read somewhere that the ticket is for the person driving and the onus is on them to prove it was you but how true that is I don't know. I have since started parking elsewhere now.

If its a private company that has charged you, you don't have to pay.  Ignore all correspondance, don't respond to any of it, and they will give up after a few months.

My sister got one from Gordano services, few letters later (one of which was a solicitors letter from the companies own solicitors and not one that did any other business) and she has heard nothing for about 6 months now.

The only parking tickets you have to pay are those issued by the police or a traffic warden.

Correct Dolls.

Don't contact them!

They will not contact you as it will cost them to trace you.

Be very careful with ignoring as a lot of these companies are taking people to court and winning 6 months down the line when you have forgotten all about it and ignored them.They can only claim (under contract law) what their losses were and in a free car park that is not a lot.

Visit MSE or Pepipoo and you will be given the correct advice but do not ignore.

Unless the police or council issue a parking ticket, then ignore it.

Ignore the letters and make sure you DON'T RESPOND TO ANYTHING.

To my knowledge, the laws have not changed on this.

My dad got a ticket, probably the same company - and done what I say above. No fine paid.

They'll try and scare you, but it's what it is - a scare tactic.

They can't take you to court (and win) over it, as they don't know who parked it. IF they did see you/video you, then there'd be a picture of you for proof. Most likely, it'll be a poor picture of your vehicle reg plate.

I may be wrong but is this the parking area by PC World, if indeed still there,  i parked a hire car from Green Motion of Stansted when I was there in 2011. i was buying a laptop for my daughter to take back home with me.  The salesman had to arrange for this particular model to be sent there from another branch and this took much longer than the allowed parking time.  The salesman phoned the parking company, who I believe was G4S,  to tell them that I was on business and would need longer time and not to fine the car,  however,  a while after i got home I checked my bank account and found out that 80 Pounds had been taken by Green Motion without my consent. I immediately emailed them to find out why they had taken this money, thinking that they had found some damage to the car, although there was none noticed on the inspection when the car was returned.  I was surprised when they emailed me with a copy of the fine and a photo of the car driving out of the park with the time printed on it.   i would have appealed the fine, but the hire company had paid it without my permission,  i was very annoyed, but there was nothing i could do about it other than complain to the hire company about using my card without my permission.  That would have involved long international telephone calls and would have cost more money and probably got me nowhere, so, as others have said, i would appeal the fine and if you can get the permission from the garage that you were allowed to park, all the better.

My dad got a ticket, probably the same company - and done what I say above. No fine paid.

They can't take you to court (and win) over it, as they don't know who parked it. IF they did see you/video you, then there'd be a picture of you for proof. Most likely, it'll be a poor picture of your vehicle reg plate.

Goes further than that, even if they had a video of a driver parking up, stepping out, shouting obscenities at protestations to parking and walking off they've still got a helluva battle to get the money.  They need to show why the penalty is fair, reasonably and caused them loss or damages for it to be enforceable.

That is their biggest hurdle more than absolutely anything else.

I may be wrong but is this the parking area by PC World, if indeed still there,  i parked a hire car from Green Motion of Stansted when I was there in 2011. i was buying a laptop for my daughter to take back home with me.  The salesman had to arrange for this particular model to be sent there from another branch and this took much longer than the allowed parking time.  The salesman phoned the parking company, who I believe was G4S,  to tell them that I was on business and would need longer time and not to fine the car,  however,  a while after i got home I checked my bank account and found out that 80 Pounds had been taken by Green Motion without my consent. I immediately emailed them to find out why they had taken this money, thinking that they had found some damage to the car, although there was none noticed on the inspection when the car was returned.  I was surprised when they emailed me with a copy of the fine and a photo of the car driving out of the park with the time printed on it.   i would have appealed the fine, but the hire company had paid it without my permission,  i was very annoyed, but there was nothing i could do about it other than complain to the hire company about using my card without my permission.  That would have involved long international telephone calls and would have cost more money and probably got me nowhere, so, as others have said, i would appeal the fine and if you can get the permission from the garage that you were allowed to park, all the better.

Should've got in touch with the bank for an unauthorised transaction.

Poor from people on here to advise to ignore just because it worked for them months or years ago.

Things have changed as posted by some helpful people

Things have changed, but the goalposts have not radically been moved by any stretch, if by any more than a few inches.

The trouble these 'firms' have is the charges (as said above it is a charge not a fine) have to be reasonable and recover for loss or damage incurred. This is a mountain to climb, particularly in an instance where it is private land with no charges for spaces. Proving loss or damage in that instance is nigh on impossible.

As for poor show people advising on here I'm sure as an adult the OP and anyone else would do their own thorough research before taking a course of action. It would be silly to have to caveat each statement. No reliance should be placed on anyone on a public forum, nor indeed on what moneysupermarket may say on any given day.

I remember speaking with a guy from Q Parks who run the car parking at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. They issue tickets. His advice to me was just to ignore it because they can't follow it up and they just rely on some people paying it.

Admittedly this was a couple of years ago, but being a gambler, I'd probably plump for the ignore tactic.

Goes further than that, even if they had a video of a driver parking up, stepping out, shouting obscenities at protestations to parking and walking off they've still got a helluva battle to get the money. They need to show why the penalty is fair, reasonably and caused them loss or damages for it to be enforceable.

That is their biggest hurdle more than absolutely anything else.

Goes even further than that.

As you say they have to show that the penalty fare is reasonable, which would be claimed through loss of income from the vehicle being parked there.

There can only be lost income if the car park was completely full, preventing other consumers using the car park. However most parking companies manage car parks on a contract, so they do not suffer any lost income. This would have to be claimed be the businesses at the car park, the parking company are not legally allowed to claim their "fine" is based on this lost income. This can only be claimed by the businesses themselves.

Be warned ignoring these letters can be dangerous, depending on the company as they can take you to county court, if you ignore this you will get a judgement against you.

You could write to the parking company, don't admit anything, but politely remind them of their lack of authority.

Not 100% sure what the best course of action is, but nowadays it is a bit risky ignoring the letters

Incorrect...... Law changed Oct 2012.

Parking companies can hold the owner of the vehicle responsible. This makes it easier for the companies to apply to county court if you ignore all correspondence.

Not saying the companies will do this, but it is an option. Some people's advice may be outdated if they received a "fine" prior to the law change.

Yes, things have changed. These companies pay tens of thousands to the government now, which in turn has taken away some of the real bad things like unscrupulous clamping but given them more powers to collect money..

I would speak to the land owner who should have the power to ask for it to be scrapped.

Incorrect...... Law changed Oct 2012.

Parking companies can hold the owner of the vehicle responsible. This makes it easier for the companies to apply to county court if you ignore all correspondence.

Not saying the companies will do this, but it is an option. Some people's advice may be outdated if they received a "fine" prior to the law change.

The ticket was issued last season, so post 2012. Guess the company (Cardiff based) were "rogue" and couldn't do shit ;)

Pirates.

Archived