IGNORED

When City Make The Prem .

Major Isewater

When we make it to the Premier League I will be 'Over the Moon' this will be because by then cemetery space will be at a premium so anyone who has been buried for more than 200 years will be dug up and blasted into space and dumped therein to make way for the then present incumbents of the planet when they pass on or failing that to make way for a precious village green.

Not getting a bit ahead of ourselves?

I should think the Championship will become as competitive as ever and remember, we will be one of a minority in it never to have recieved parachute payments. We're not even in that yet.

May I also remind you that should SC be tempted by pastures higher, we do not have a great track record in managerial appointments. Southampton/Swansea we are not re that.

Last time we were in it, our highest average attendance was 16,000ish. At the time, we were a small fish. To be fair, I suspect the good people of Bristol have a fancy of flash modern builds having said that, so should beef us up a bit.

Not getting a bit ahead of ourselves?

I should think the Championship will become as competitive as ever and remember, we will be one of a minority in it never to have recieved parachute payments. We're not even in that yet.

May I also remind you that should SC be tempted by pastures higher, we do not have a great track record in managerial appointments. Southampton/Swansea we are not re that.

Last time we were in it, our highest average attendance was 16,000ish. At the time, we were a small fish. To be fair, I suspect the good people of Bristol have a fancy of flash modern builds having said that, so should beef us up a bit.

If memory serves me correctly, our average league attendance for the 1976-77 season was about 24,000 and that was before the Liverpool match, the last home game of the season, in which 38,000 were in attendance with a few thousand locked outside. I just remember seeing our average attendance in the programme for that match and it was in the region of 24,000.

Actually, I've just re-read the post and you might be referring to the Championship rather than the top flight. Apologies if that was the case.

is it either or though? Swansea have shown it can be sustained, Southampton are making a better fist of it this time around as well.

They could be be, but until they drop out the Premier league, you just don't know do you?

I'm with the original poster, we need to be sustainable, but not to a level like Blackpool did, that was way too stingy.

Maybe, to make things fairer, we can buy more of the bubble blowing machines but turbo charged and position them at points about 2 miles North, East, South and West of Ashton Gate. Then when anyone jumps out of a plane for charity we can turn them all on, minus the bubble mixture, they will inevitably land on the pitch at Ashton Gate for which we can charge them an astronomical amount (or half of what they've raised for charity whichever is the larger sum). Then we will also be benefiting from parachute payments.

You have to be hard to succeed in business. 

Maybe, to make things fairer, we can buy more of the bubble blowing machines but turbo charged and position them at points about 2 miles North, East, South and West of Ashton Gate. Then when anyone jumps out of a plane for charity we can turn them all on, minus the bubble mixture, they will inevitably land on the pitch at Ashton Gate for which we can charge them an astronomical amount (or half of what they've raised for charity whichever is the larger sum). Then we will also be benefiting from parachute payments.

You have to be hard to succeed in business. 

Wow! Out there man............

Having a stadium like ours (will eventually be) makes us seem, at least in stature, a proper Championship club.

It'll brace us well IF we get to the top.

Though us in the Championship, with a stadium like that should hopefully bring our average over 20k. That's my prediction.

It's happened to many clubs, where a new stadium or massive development bumps attendances.

I think a stadium makes a big difference with raising the profile and preparing us IF we can ever even have a few seasons in the top flight.

A few years back when WBA go there, they realised they would struggle, so didn't buy a load of expensive stars.

They accepted they'd come straight back down, but used the parachute payments to strengthen their team so they walked through the Championship next time round and are still in the Prem.

Is that a model you'ld like City to emulate.

When ,not if , City finally grace the Premier League i sincerely hope that we follow a sustainable programme and don't do a Bradford ,Carduff or an.other in putting the very future of the club in jeopardy .

I would prefer that we yo-yo between the two divisions WBA ,Burnley style whilst we improve .

I am alone in this ?

No, you are definitely not alone. This is the only long term method of sustaining the club financially and developing the club into a Premiership club that will be capable of challenging for cups and ultimately, even the high table scraps of a Europa Cup slot.

This scenario needs a squad of players who are tough enough mentally to be able to have a season of real hardship in the Prem, but to come out fighting and winning when back in the Championship.

And a board that sticks with a good manager during the bad times so that continuity is there for the resurrection.

WBA and Burnley are good models and also Stoke City.

There isn't any reason why Bristol City does not become a fixture in the Premiership. It is in our own hands to gain and by the same token, our's to lose.

When we make it to the Premier League I will be 'Over the Moon' this will be because by then cemetery space will be at a premium so anyone who has been buried for more than 200 years will be dug up and blasted into space and dumped therein to make way for the then present incumbents of the planet when they pass on or failing that to make way for a precious village green.

I get the feeling you don't fancy our chances then?  ;)

To be honest I feel (without trying to start a Bristol Sport debate) it would be important to maintain our values as a club as well as making ourselves financially sustainable. If we ever did get there I would be incredibly disappointed if the club became as distant from the community as some of the larger Premier league teams.

Still one step at a time... We are still in League 1!

I'd hope we're clever in the transfer market and instead of paying mega bucks for an English player, look abroad for a cheaper bargain. Only trouble is that could go 2 ways, Swansea got Michu for 2 million and he banged 20 odd goals in his first season, then the likes of Cardiff and Norwich bought medal and van wolfswinkel and they were kack....

Truth is we won't know what will happen until it happens and at the moment we're nowhere near our prem dream. Let's focus on how to be successful in the championship first! and even that isn't guaranteed yet!

I started this thread in response to the Carduff thread where after having dropped their trousers for Mr Tan they now find themselves hugely in debt and doing a Franz Klammer .

I firmly believe that one day we will be in the Prem ,logic and the law of averages dictates but i don't want us to panic and risk paralysing or killing the club just to stay there .

We are more than capable of sustaining a Premiership club in Bristol .

I don't believe that my projections on the subject are going to effect the result against Rochdale or stop the team from concentrating on promotion !

Fascinating to see that some of you don't believe that we could get there anytime soon .

Guys ,it is possible .

Look at Palace .Crap side near the foot of the table ended up getting promoted .

We were 90 mins away under GJ .

It's unlikely i'll admit but there are many examples .

Look how The Cherries are doing ,Blackpool ,Hull ...

Be aware of the possibility ,don't play down our chances .

A few years back when WBA go there, they realised they would struggle, so didn't buy a load of expensive stars.

They accepted they'd come straight back down, but used the parachute payments to strengthen their team so they walked through the Championship next time round and are still in the Prem.

Is that a model you'ld like City to emulate.

Is that a question you are asking at the end? Strangest logic to a model to follow if you ask me.

So...let me get this straight - they got promoted to the prem, decided to allow themselves to be relegated so that they could use the parachute payments to get promoted again. So they just went round in a circle. Then what did they do different second time to stay there??

Dream scenario:

We reach the Prem and we stay there with homegrown talent in abundance.  We shine a light on the dirty antics of the modern game and publicly refuse to condone diving and all the other cheating nonsense that goes on.  We support grass roots football across the South West.  We're unfashionable, nobody likes us and we do consistently well.

Dream scenario:

We reach the Prem and we stay there with homegrown talent in abundance.  We shine a light on the dirty antics of the modern game and publicly refuse to condone diving and all the other cheating nonsense that goes on.  We support grass roots football across the South West.  We're unfashionable, nobody likes us and we do consistently well.

Probable Reality:Our billionaire owner chucks as much money at it as possible bringing in over paid/over rated journey men and probably Steven Fletcher (as that what every newly promoted team tries to do.....) We struggle and otib goes into absolute melt down and Bristol Sport turns it attention to the rugby team. 

Archived