IGNORED

Fc City Of Bristol

Eddie Hitler

If you ignore the fact they've sold out their last 4 games. 

Sold out? That didn't take long for the basketball team to reach its full potential. Which other sports team in Bristol is to be propelled towards international success?

However, I believe Bristol Sport as a model makes sense and under that one banner it brings all the clubs together creating a massive financial pool to source from.

All the clubs? Are you really that gullible? It's Bristol City and Bristol Rugby. The rest is a load of window-dressing to make out that this is a "multi-sport" organisation with an altruistic purpose to promote sport in Bristol. It's a takeover of Bristol City's identity. Nothing more.

Look at how well all the teams under the banner are doing! 

How can you have the bare-faced cheek to come on here and suggest that Bristol City's and Bristol Rugby's [relative] success is down to an artificial organisation that Steve Lansdown set up last year (when both teams were doing just as well) without consulting anybody?

For people who want to have at least one, tangible example of how Bristol City's identity is being taken away, there you have it. When City win, it's thanks to this "Bristol Sport" sham.

I don't know what is worse: the dreadful cynicism of those peddling this rubbish or the shocking naivety of those who are falling for it.

As for my fellow forumster asking whether other teams should be renamed Bristol City, well, they would do if the FC Barcelona was really being followed here.

l

Citys gates have been static for years despite all the ctid talk of fans few are. Many of the people we attended with in our youth become strangers to Ashton Gate.

There are scores of City fans heading abroad each season to watch football because the experience is more intense, exciting and colourful.

Watched a youth game yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was more honesty on show and more bold audacious skill attempted by local kids from BS3 and a team from BS5 than in the Professional game. The majority there have nothing to do with Bristol City, and Bristol City Saturday barely had much to do with local either - Check the squad.

Never say never.

Sold out? That didn't take long for the basketball team to reach its full potential. Which other sports team in Bristol is to be propelled towards international success?

Or maybe just maybe they can grow by getting their own facilities? Or playing at the arena if/when that happens?

Perhaps you could try looking at things with an open mind rather than being quite so dismissive.

No to the idea of a parallel FC City.

Having lived in Portugal, I saw daily evidence in the sports papers of the extensive number of sports run by SLB. That is Sport Lisbon and Benfica. Football, Futsal Tennis, Athletics, Handball, Swimming, Water Polo and a few others.

Certainly has not hindered the football club, more like enhanced it because so many youngsters play for SLB that they feel part of a great club.

Steve Lansdown visited FC Barcelona which is very similar. There are so many big football clubs in Europe that have others sports under their umbrella and it certainly does not appear to adversely affect their football section.

So I am sure someone will tell me that we don't do it that way in GB. No wonder the Germans call us "Insel Afen". Those who look up the translation are not the one's I am thinking of.

I have followed City and Bristol Rugby for 65 years and I feel that finally, we are beginning to see a better future for sport in our great city.

To clarify the above, SLB is the full name of Benfica football club.

If you ignore the fact they've sold out their last 4 games.

They clearly need a bigger indoor arena.

What if SL built an ice rink with capacity around 5,000? And ran an ice hockey team. A removable floor on top of the ice and you have an arena for the Bristol Flyers! And indoor gymnastics? And what else?

Having lived in Portugal, I saw daily evidence in the sports papers of the extensive number of sports run by SLB. That is Sport Lisbon and Benfica. Football, Futsal Tennis, Athletics, Handball, Swimming, Water Polo and a few others.

Certainly has not hindered the football club, more like enhanced it because so many youngsters play for SLB that they feel part of a great club.

Steve Lansdown visited FC Barcelona which is very similar.

Yes but the Bristol Sport model is nothing like Benfica or Barcelona.

They clearly need a bigger indoor arena.

What if SL built an ice rink with capacity around 5,000? And ran an ice hockey team. A removable floor on top of the ice and you have an arena for the Bristol Flyers! And indoor gymnastics? And what else?

Wouldn't a floor on top of ice be a recipe for disaster?  Although it might make basketball interesting.

Its also nothing like Cardiff or Hull but it seems to be judged based on what happened there.

Every so often there are post on this forum that stop and make you think.

This is one where you have to put on the right set of eyes to understand it.

Then with a sagely nod ... Bristol Sport is no more essential than Fire and Pash the Magic Dragon was.

Would Bristol Sport have been more accepted if they had done everything identically but taken on the Bristol City name instead and the other clubs under the umbrella changed name?

If so, then it seems to be unfounded fears that we might lose the name Bristol City more than anything else that is driving the dislike of Bristol Sport as an entity.

Its also nothing like Cardiff or Hull but it seems to be judged based on what happened there. 

I do not have the faintest idea what you are saying or what point you are making.

True, the European versions are clubs where the members vote for the President on a regular basis. But in reality, they are all the playthings of one or a few very rich supporters.

My understanding is that rich supporters are more likely to be voted into positions of power and President at clubs such as Barcelona and Benfica as they are able to promise an injection of capital, but nevertheless there is a democratic process.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/card/democracy

http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/barca_statutes.pdf

With this model in place, of course there would still be disagreements, but nobody could have any justifiable complaints along the lines that we are seeing at the moment.

There seems to be a consensus of opinion that mistakenly believes ultras are welcome at non league grounds. I also attend matches at Mangotsfield United and last season they had a problem with ultras letting off smoke bombs and the like. The FA threatened to close the ground down if this wasn't stamped out so the club took action and banned the ultras.

I think its more to do with them being a bunch of gorms with a political agenda.

I do not have the faintest idea what you are saying or what point you are making.

My understanding is that rich supporters are more likely to be voted into positions of power and President at clubs such as Barcelona and Benfica as they are able to promise an injection of capital, but nevertheless there is a democratic process.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/card/democracy

http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/barca_statutes.pdf

With this model in place, of course there would still be disagreements, but nobody could have any justifiable complaints along the lines that we are seeing at the moment.

Perhaps the European models and BS are not so far apart. We've not elected SL but as an apparently genuine City supporter, then maybe the end result will be similar. As someone who liked what I saw at Benfica with the involvement of so many members of the public and the crossover between sports, I am prepared to give SL and Bristol Sport some time to develop.

It would be a shame for Bristol if we killed it now without waiting for the visible benefits of better class football, rugby etc., become apparent. However, I do acknowledge it might be difficult to stop it if is is proved to be in beneficial in years to come.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't?

So what would you suggest the aim is? If there is some nefarious tinkering at work here I fail to see what evil scheme the co-ordinator of it all might have in mind?

Or, could it possibly be what it appears to be, an attempt to run sport in Bristol on a more professional basis?

people don't like change

So what would you suggest the aim is? If there is some nefarious tinkering at work here I fail to see what evil scheme the co-ordinator of it all might have in mind?

Or, could it possibly be what it appears to be, an attempt to run sport in Bristol on a more professional basis?

It is unlcear why a uneccessary alternative brand is required to oversee a club that existed for over a hundred years.

City should be already ran on a Professional basis. Was the five pillars a student thesis!!

I'm not the one to answer that, Rich. Not necessary an evil scheme. 

An attempt to run sport in Bristol on a more professional basis? I don't think so. I really don't. Where did this ambition suddenly spring from? You have to be fairly gullible to believe that Steve had a moment of enlightenment on a tour around the Nou Camp. 

The Barcelona model is based on the idea that they are a mega-buck organisation that runs a football club as well as anyone else in the world. So, as a community, a community of 170,000 members or so, they run other sports. Just for the hell of it. And they make zilch money out of it. 

The BS model is the hobbyhorse of one man. An idea he didn't feel worth sharing with the SC&T. When you see the FCB shield at the Nou Camp, you are observing an emblem that bonds over 170,000 people. The BS logo at Ashton Gate is a billionaire's graffitti. Why is he doing it? Somebody should ask him.

people don't like change

I'm sure that most people who are against the Bristol Sport brand are not against the idea of the ground share with the rugby boys, for example. Not so much "don't like change" and "don't like change being managed so poorly". 

This could be seen as an opportunity for positive change that has been ruined by one bizarre idea.

I'm not the one to answer that, Rich. Not necessary an evil scheme. 

An attempt to run sport in Bristol on a more professional basis? I don't think so. I really don't. Where did this ambition suddenly spring from? You have to be fairly gullible to believe that Steve had a moment of enlightenment on a tour around the Nou Camp. 

The Barcelona model is based on the idea that they are a mega-buck organisation that runs a football club as well as anyone else in the world. So, as a community, a community of 170,000 members or so, they run other sports. Just for the hell of it. And they make zilch money out of it. 

The BS model is the hobbyhorse of one man. An idea he didn't feel worth sharing with the SC&T. When you see the FCB shield at the Nou Camp, you are observing an emblem that bonds over 170,000 people. The BS logo at Ashton Gate is a billionaire's graffitti. Why is he doing it? Somebody should ask him.

I'm sure that most people who are against the Bristol Sport brand are not against the idea of the ground share with the rugby boys, for example. Not so much "don't like change" and "don't like change being managed so poorly". 

This could be seen as an opportunity for positive change that has been ruined by one bizarre idea.

Rather than SL having a Road To Damascus moment, I would suggest that he found himself getting involved in more and more sporting organisations around Bristol and it made sense to him to group them together under one overarching brand with each separate team/individual retaining their own identity.

In the early days of Bristol Sport I was very vocal on here about the dangers of Bristol City losing it's identity, but I am personally satisfied that what is happening is in the best interests of Bristol City. The rugby club using Ashton Gate appears to be working better than I thought it would, and would seem to have led to more interest in their fortunes from City fans, with a few becoming regulars at rugby matches now.

When it comes to sponsorship, I am sure there are some deals that will be better sold as encompassing the whole of Bristol Sport (Stadium advertising being more valuable due to more events being held for example), but things like shirt sponsorship etc will probably remain individual to each team. I would have thought that they also have more clout when it comes to merchandising deals or catering for the stadium etc when rugby is involved and not just the football.

I also realise that there is a lot of Bristol Sport branding going about at the moment, I would have thought this is due to two things 1. Getting Bristol Sport established as a name and 2. The stadium rebuild being done under the auspices of Bristol Sport. I would hope that in another 3-4 years once everything is built and the dust has settled, that Bristol Sport will become less visible whilst still being something easily recognisable.

I think now that the only real mistake made was not calling the umbrella group 'Bristol City Sport', which would have given the fans of the majority team in the group the impression that we were indeed the major partners in all this and probably caused less dissent.

Archived