IGNORED

Happy Donowa Day To One And All

'Orns

What made it sweeter was the Hollowhead penalty miss before Donowa winner. Wasnt this the first time we had beaten them in a while?

Yep, about 5 years. Hadn't won any of the previous 10 games.

Jammy bastards they were back then.

Probably my favourite game I've attended. Great atmosphere and we battered them just couldn't score then big Devon took a swan dive & I thought the lucky bastards had done us again. Then Leaning went the right way & the place went nuts. Never heard a noise like it before but it was bettered minutes later when Louie scored.... Just!

A fantastic night.

Superb. First time we'd beaten them since 85/86 IIRR. They really had the Indian Sign over us in those days. Donowa's goal was deliverance.

My favourite match against them when we were both in the second tier (will that ever happen again, I wonder?) came a couple of seasons later though. We won 2-1 at AG and effectively condemned them to relegation. That was a fantastic night. Video of that one used to be on YouTube too (Mark Lawrenson co-commentating, but even he couldn't ruin it) but seems to have disappeared. 

I caught the train back from somewhere or other to be at that game. Don't know why - I think I'd been to all the previous 10 games in 5 years without beating them. The previous time had been Easter 86 when Llewy did one on G Francis' thigh, studs-up proper.

Mental night.

Don't remember much about the penalty. But the goal! the shot, the way it was half-saved, the way it dribbled toward the goal and the way Louie D dived to make sure it went over the line...

And then Bob running round the back of the goal to flick the V to the Blue Few.

Beautiful.

Quite a few of us used to then sing, to the tune of All Things Bright And Beautiful: "All things bright and beautiful/all creatures great and small/Leano saved the penalty/and Louie scored the gawl!"

I had somewhere to be the next morning, but I ditched the return train, headed back to the pub till the wee small hours and went straight on to the first morning train without a wink of sleep.

I had one of the white/red writing badges for a few years, too. It simply said 1-0 in the middle and had 5th March 1991 round the outside. Sadly, it has been lost from this household.

Anyone still got one?

Was in the open end that night lost my voice my wallet and celebrated long and hard! Had suffered many years of crap from the blue few before that so when hollowhead fluffed his lines it really was at last our turn to party, still cant believe it was so long ago though!

Loudest I have heard it in AG. Only time I ever lost my voice watching city. People go on about hartlepool and Crystal palace. But I swear it was much much louder and definitely 100 times more caustic atmosphere in this game

24 years really !  

The noise that night when Donawa scored was incredible, i can remember all the hairs on my neck standing on end and thinking wow.

I know people bang on about the old days but really you had to be there ! nothing since has come close, only when we play the sags have i ever witnessed anything similar.

I caught the train back from somewhere or other to be at that game. Don't know why - I think I'd been to all the previous 10 games in 5 years without beating them. The previous time had been Easter 86 when Llewy did one on G Francis' thigh, studs-up proper.

Mental night.

Don't remember much about the penalty. But the goal! the shot, the way it was half-saved, the way it dribbled toward the goal and the way Louie D dived to make sure it went over the line...

And then Bob running round the back of the goal to flick the V to the Blue Few.

Beautiful.

Quite a few of us used to then sing, to the tune of All Things Bright And Beautiful: "All things bright and beautiful/all creatures great and small/Leano saved the penalty/and Louie scored the gawl!"

I had somewhere to be the next morning, but I ditched the return train, headed back to the pub till the wee small hours and went straight on to the first morning train without a wink of sleep.

I had one of the white/red writing badges for a few years, too. It simply said 1-0 in the middle and had 5th March 1991 round the outside. Sadly, it has been lost from this household.

Anyone still got one?

Yes I've still got mine. That win meant so much and put years of hurt to rest. Now we need to win the league as for me, in a sort of way, it will put 1990 to bed as well.

I was also there that night (in the open end) - my favourite City moment.

Atmosphere went up several notches due to the disrespectful Rovers fans during the minute silence.

Will always remember grown men hugging strangers and crying when that Donowa goal went in!   

Archived