IGNORED

Which Formation Is Best Suited To The Championship ?

Major Isewater

You set your formation up depending on the team you play against...not what league you are in.

When watching our 352 this season, have you not noticed the different way we play in that loose formation, depending what personnel are playing.

For example...Cunningham might replace Bryan...but they play completely different roles.

The formation we play should be whatever formation gets the best out of the players who happen to be on the field of play at that time. For example, I think reverting to a 4-4-2,4-5-1,4-4-1-1 etc would be nigh on suicide for us right now. However, what if for some reason we no longer had Flint. It might then be easier rather than replacing Flint in our back three, reverting to a new formation.

SC has bought in players to fit the formation and playing style he has chosen and that has bought us success this season. Why is it not possible that the same formation and  players ( with some strengthening here and there) will not go on to be successful at the next level?

For too long , we had managers who set up their teams to counter the strengths of the opposition, or to compensate for our own weaknesses, whereas SC has set his teams up to play to our strengths, and to let the opposition worry about us. Long may it continue.

SC has bought in players to fit the formation and playing style he has chosen and that has bought us success this season. Why is it not possible that the same formation and  players ( with some strengthening here and there) will not go on to be successful at the next level?

For too long , we had managers who set up their teams to counter the strengths of the opposition, or to compensate for our own weaknesses, whereas SC has set his teams up to play to our strengths, and to let the opposition worry about us. Long may it continue.

I agree with you largely, but I'd caveat that this season in League One there has been no-one going toe to toe with us consistently. It's easy to set up teams to play to our strengths when our strengths are so much greater than that of the opposition. However, next season we are going to walk in to what I genuinely believe to be one of the very toughest leagues. The gulf in quality between 1st and 23rd (Blackpool do not count) is pretty miniscule. In the Championship you cannot predict one result from another and at the start of the season, in spite of what bookies may tell you, it always seems as though everyone has an equal chance of promotion/relegation/midtable.

Because we won't be able to dominate and exert control in the way that we have this season I think we can only try to find a blend of playing to our strengths and countering the opposition. To go pig headed in to matches will not (imo) serve us well nor would undertaking some form of DMc experiments.

There has been talk of a need to change formation ,if (when) we go up ,which set up do you think we'll adopt ?  A winning one

If we change will the football be less attacking ?  If we are more defensive then yes.  If we are more attacking then no

Who will miss out from the current team ?  Nicky Hunt

Who will we need ?  Nicky Maynard, Bas Savage and Lee Johnson

Is my dinner ready ?  Hope so.  What are we having ?

I can't see any reason to change a winning formula until it ain't winning any more!

Technically though the formation we play is 5-3-2 with wingbacks, not 3-5-2 but just splitting hairs.

Split on: technically I think we play a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Did anyone think 3-5-2 would work this season in this league? Answer is probably no. What we have done is carefully plan a team to that formation. All we have had to do is play our own game and everyone else around can worry about what they are doing. It's been seen many times this season opposition trying to match our formation and it doesn't work as they are not set up for it.

I say continue in the same vein in the championship, play what we know and only change when it drastically goes wrong. All we need to do is recruit people for the same roles that have greater ability/quality which isn't 100% necessary as many of our players can step up easily

Did anyone think 3-5-2 would work this season in this league? Answer is probably no. What we have done is carefully plan a team to that formation. All we have had to do is play our own game and everyone else around can worry about what they are doing. It's been seen many times this season opposition trying to match our formation and it doesn't work as they are not set up for it.

I say continue in the same vein in the championship, play what we know and only change when it drastically goes wrong. All we need to do is recruit people for the same roles that have greater ability/quality which isn't 100% necessary as many of our players can step up easily

I did to be honest.  We clearly recruited to play this way.  Cotterill rightly calculated that we could take on and beat any side in our league with the quality we had.   I've always liked this way of playing and the way we do it is ultra aggressive.

However, there have been very strong hints that we will change next season.  We have at times struggled against better League one sides who have been strong enough tactically to negate our strengths and exploit our weaknesses (ie Preston and Sheff Utd).  We only play one centre half, which is virtually unheard of.  Teams with 3 at the back normally play 3 centre halves (eg Liverpool at present).  

Keith Dawe gave an interview recently http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-chairman-Keith-Dawe-knew-Steve/story-26181581-detail/story.html

What struck me is this part of the interview:-

"Consequently, we are looking now at what system we play in the higher division, what sort of players will play that system and how our current players will cope with that system.

"We are now identifying the types of players we need to recruit and we will endeavour to recruit the appropriate players. But we will need value for money, because sustainability is important.

If that isn't a hint that we will change the structure of how we play, then I don't know what is.  

I would be very surprised if we don't revert to a back four next year.  How the midfield and attack is structured is another matter, but I can't believe we'll play the kind of balls out football we have this year away to Derby for example. 

Its the kind of balls out football that has brought us success this term. We need to continue in the same vein if we are to push further. Yes I would be happy to be back in the second tier, but I don't want to sit content in that division, I want us to push on this time. I just hope this summer is as positive as last summer

3-5-2 is our thing. We're winning a league with it, we've won a cup with it, we showed West ham up with it. What's the point of changing it because we're playing Nottingham Forest instead of Notts County. It's been good for us so far so unless it completely goes wrong I see no point in changing it.

Archived