IGNORED

England

The dastardly red

Smalling and Jones are a joke :facepalm:

Barkley,Townsend and Carrick made a big difference.

On another note i see the mighty Cape Verdi are beating Portugal 0-2.

Agree re Jones & Smalling

Jones is a rugby player, so flat footed, poor balance

Had hopes for Smalling but he's not improved a tot since he went to Man Ud

Had to combine foreign pictures with BBC Radio. Danny Murphy and Alan Green were slating us constantly pretty much. So many cliches about 'The Italians' it was unbearable.

Danny Murphy even said at one stage that Italy always play well at big tournaments - Forgotten the last two World Cups I suppose...They were on the way home with us in Brazil, and didn't do any better in South Africa either.

On England, yeah I thought we did alright. Don't see what Gibbs or Walcott have done to deserve to start though - Both out of favour at the moment at Arsenal (Walcott to be fair was out for a long time) I'd have liked to have seen Bertrand and Mason get a chance for longer.

Decent trip. Turin is a very pleasant city and the weather today was really nice. And what was looking (in the first half) like a substandard performance improved considerably after the break.

But why oh why do we persist with playing players out of position? Jones and Walcott today were just the latest example of this (Milner at right back in one of the Miami games last year was probably the worst in recent times). Is it any coincidence we improved after changes were made and players reverted to their usual positions?

Barkley looked lively, Townsend did well for the time he was on, and Carrick was very composed. Add in Sterling, Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamebrlain, Lallana, the defenders we were missing (Baines or Shaw, Cahill) and one or two from the under 21s (Ward Prowse probably at the front of the queue) and we could have a half decent squad for the Euros next summer (assuming of course we don't screw up qualification).

It would also help if some of Chelsea's 5 English youth players broke through (I know there are very high hopes for Solanke, Loftus-Cheek, Brown and Baker. Bamford has also done well so far on loan at Middlesbrough).

Usual okayish performance against a decent team in a friendly. I hold judgement until we play a decent team in a competitive match. Still think we are shite and 20 years behind the current levels of top international football teams

Usual okayish performance against a decent team in a friendly. I hold judgement until we play a decent team in a competitive match. Still think we are shite and 20 years behind the current levels of top international football teams

Well we didn't do too badly away to Switzerland back in the autumn (who were 2 minutes away from taking Argentina to penalties and who, according to one or two on here, were near certainties to finish far ahead of us in qualification). Some of the top teams have had some iffy results of late - Germany lost in Poland and drew at home against Ireland, Holland have had a couple of dodgy results in qualification too.

That said, I do agree that the real test will be next summer when we're up against one of the big guns in a tournament scenario. I live more in hope than expectation.

Cautious mood of optimism for the future with the players we've got coming through the ranks and the results we've had since the Brazil debacle.

Beating Scotland at Celtic Park was hugely enjoyable.

Oh, and Alan Green is an odious obese orange slug.

We do have some really good youth players coming through at the moment, although the best chance we had of ever winning anything was the squad we had around 10 years ago.

But all in all, that's all they will ever be. Compared with other teams who have won world cups, Euro's, Copa America's etc, they are not a patch on the world class players needed to win anything, or at least get to finals.

2016 team

Hart - Clyne - Cahill - Stones - Gibbs - Carrick - Henderson - Ox-Chamberlain - Barkley - Sterling - Sturridge

There is balance, experience and excitement going forward in that 11 there. And that's without Rooney, Walcott, Townsend, Wilshire, Kane.

Just hope Roy doesn't waste the opportunity. But I imagine the next full time boss after that will be Gary Neville so perfect him being the number 2 at the moment.

Archived