IGNORED

Derrick Williams

Super

A lot of my more hard core Villa supporter friends up here in the Midlands were not happy that the club let him go.

He must have made some impression because he only played 1 competitive game for them.

By all accounts, he always seemed to play well in their reserve matches and the Ireland youth levels and they had a lot of hope for him for the future.

Then he came here.

Is it just me or does this guy barely get a mention on here? Had a very good season and still only 22 years old and will only improve in the future.

I rate him. His distribution can be a bit hit and miss at times, but as you say, at 22 can only get better.

Derrick has had a good season just like the rest of the squad, but as we all know, the far less flashy players generally slip under the radar (ie Korey Smith). Very much valued member of the side and think the transition to the championship will be fairly comfortable for him

Fair,point Super

Thought he was our MOM against Coventry

I think because he's not as spectacular footballer as Ayling and doesn't get the goals / prescence of Flinty he prob does get overlooked

A solid defender to be fair

He really does get unnoticed. You certainly need a left sided defender in that formation and he fits it perfectly. Can I say well done to SOD?!

He's the sort of player that goes about his business with no frills, but does a very good job. That type of player just tends to go under the radar, until they're no longer there that is. Skuse Syndrome, if you will!

I think the fact that both Ayling and Flint have had such spectacular seasons has shifted the attention towards them, but Derrick has still played a vital role.

As someone else said, his main weakness is his distribution but he's young and full of room to improve. Playing at a higher level will certainly help that.

He's the sort of player that goes about his business with no frills, but does a very good job. That type of player just tends to go under the radar, until they're no longer there that is. Skuse Syndrome, if you will!

I think the fact that both Ayling and Flint have had such spectacular seasons has shifted the attention towards them, but Derrick has still played a vital role.

As someone else said, his main weakness is his distribution but he's young and full of room to improve. Playing at a higher level will certainly help that.

We have a formation and a system in which the 3 Centre Back's know each other's game and their own game suits their fellow defenders too.

Is it any wonder that all the best teams, whatever division they are in, always have excellent defences.

Chelsea - everyone knows about their defence, but their record is only the joint best with Southampton with 26 goals conceded.

Watford - 4th best in the league (goes against my point) but not too far off, but Bournemouth can still win the league and their defence is second best at the moment.

Bristol City - best defence in the league by 3 goals

Burton - 3rd best defence, but Shrewsbury in second can still win the title and they do have the best defensive record.

Liverpool last year is recent proof that it does not matter how many you score, it's how many you keep out at the other end which is just as important.

Fair,point Super

Thought he was our MOM against Coventry

I think because he's not as spectacular footballer as Ayling and doesn't get the goals / prescence of Flinty he prob does get overlooked

A solid defender to be fair

True - players who aren't spectacular and are just consistent end to be overlooked. To get a mention a player must be total garbage, spectacular or a Marmite player. The Marmites - e g JET, Agard, and particularly Skuse, before he left, were guaranteed to generate squillions of posts.

Fontaine, even at his best was always prone to an error/switching off. Williams doesn't seem to have that problem, think he could go far.

Um, he can be caught out of position - and is on occasion.

That said, he's barely put a foot wrong in the last third of the season and is one third of a very good defensive line. I'd agree, he probably doesn't get enough praise.

Got a reasonable shot on him too!

Last season apart from Jet and Baldock he was our best player in my opinion and he has certainly maintaned that level and kicked on too with 2 partners in Ayling and Flint alongside him in incredible form but IMO Williams will kick on in his  career further than those 2 as I have a feeling Ayling and Flint will be a mainstay in our team for years to come (hopefully!)

True - players who aren't spectacular and are just consistent end to be overlooked. To get a mention a player must be total garbage, spectacular or a Marmite player. The Marmites - e g JET, Agard, and particularly Skuse, before he left, were guaranteed to generate squillions of posts.

Yet he still won YPOTY ahead of JET last season...

Young player of the year last season along with best signing last season IMO. Quality defender for his age and will only get better. Definite potential to play in prem so can see him going all the way there with us without being replaced. I think at a higher level, ailing may get found out whereas Williams is consistently solid

Um, he can be caught out of position - and is on occasion.

That said, he's barely put a foot wrong in the last third of the season and is one third of a very good defensive line. I'd agree, he probably doesn't get enough praise.

Got a reasonable shot on him too!

Yeah I guess. But it's easier to get dragged out of position with the formation we play, ie having to cover both Flint and Bryan at times.

For me the most likely to make it at the highest level from our current squad - of course unless we get there

Yes I agree. I think he along with Bryan have the most potential. I hope Freeman will. I think he looks great... Just want to see what he can do against better midfielders and defenders.

Archived