8 Men Had A Dream

• Admin

To save our football team

They ripped their contracts up so we could go on

NOW THIRTY YEARS ON

We're still going stronggggg

We're Bristol City

We're championship!

My shout for the best song ever? Absolute hero whoever created that gem!

I thought this was the version?

I have to say that having lived through the "Bristol City - No or Never" era, the eight had more of an ultimatum than a dream

Eight men were given an ultimatum 

They ripped their contracts up so we could go on

NOW THIRTY YEARS ON

We're still going stronggggg

We're Bristol City

We're championship!

Pretty catchy that new version

Little bit different to what iv heard and been sung at away games

8 men had a dream

Tore their contracts up so we could go on

Now 30 years on

We're still going strong

We're on our way back

To where we belong

But also heard were Bristol City were top of the league as the last two lines

I have to say that having lived through the "Bristol City - No or Never" era, the eight had more of an ultimatum than a dream

Been saying this myself.

I don't dislike the song- I'm undecided on it, but as much I appreciate the 8 tearing up their contracts it does romanticise the event a tad.

Not knocking the 8 or indeed the song but....

Is anyone really convinced that these 8 players had a career long ambition to sign a contract and then rip it up again?

Top flight football? Yes. I imagine the dreamt about that.

FA Cup success? I'd imagine that crept in to their subconscious at some point.

International recognition? More than likely.

Uncertain financial future and unemployment? Less so.

Not knocking the 8 or indeed the song but....

Is anyone really convinced that these 8 players had a career long ambition to sign a contract and then rip it up again?

Top flight football? Yes. I imagine the dreamt about that.

FA Cup success? I'd imagine that crept in to their subconscious at some point.

International recognition? More than likely.

Uncertain financial future and unemployment? Less so.

There are dreamers and there are realist,what camp are you in BR. :whistle:

Only being a kid at the time I do not fully understand 

A) the full events of what happened

B) how the 8 players on top flight money are held as heroes when they must have been somewhat at fault for our drop down the leagues.

The fact of the matter is, surely they could not have been giving it their all or we would not have had three relegation's on the bounce.

It's a good song if the clapping/drumming is right at the start - it wasn't at Bradford away and I believe this is why it never took off. Although I can't fault the effort and I tried to get it going in the POTD section.

It was ace in the 3 lions in flag day. There's a video somewhere.

Regards the dream thing; this is artistic license, never let the truth get in the way of a good sing song and more importantly the 8 should be proud of what they did, even if it wasn't a "dream" at the time.

It's a good song if the clapping/drumming is right at the start - it wasn't at Bradford away and I believe this is why it never took off. Although I can't fault the effort and I tried to get it going in the POTD section.

It was ace in the 3 lions in flag day. There's a video somewhere.

Regards the dream thing; this is artistic license, never let the truth get in the way of a good sing song and more importantly the 8 should be proud of what they did, even if it wasn't a "dream" at the time.

Never got going? It was sang for about 10 minutes straight at Bradford

B) how the 8 players on top flight money are held as heroes when they must have been somewhat at fault for our drop down the leagues.

The fact of the matter is, surely they could not have been giving it their all or we would not have had three relegation's on the bounce.

I see your point young 'un. The same players who had won at Highbury and Old Trafford were now losing 1-0 at places like Watford and Cambridge.

Still prefer the version I posted a couple of years ago!

8 men had a dream

To save their football team

They got no money, they had no place to go

They still went ahead

Those 8 saved the Reds

And 30 years later

We're still going strong....

Technically, they did get some money. And a testimonial.

AND they have a plastic number eight on the stadium in their honour.

Have a read of this post from our very own cider head written in 2009. It explains events in some detail. If you've then any questions, I'm sure there are enough of us who lived through it who will chip in with answers.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/118527-ashton-gate-8/

Never got going? It was sang for about 10 minutes straight at Bradford

Probably longer than that. But mostly by a small section behind the goal. Did you read the bit where I said I could not fault the effort? My definition of getting going would be to hear most people sing it & that didn't happen at Bradford. Probably because most people don't know it/the words. Let's keep it going though, top song, we just need to persist and try to convert the nimby's

The eight had a nightmare, not a dream. They consulted with the PFA chairman Gordon Taylor regarding the best course of action. One of the 8 was Peter Aitken who'd spent most of his career with the Gas. I doubt when he was turning out at Eastville week in and out that he mentioned to his teammates about  this dream he was having to save their bitter rivals.

I notice that this 8 men had a dream  nonsense seems to come from the younger element among our fan base who weren't around when the events occurred. Anyone around at the time would think such a claim that 8 men were having a dream to save Bristol City was absolute pie in the sky fantasy compared to what was really happening. It is also crass and insensitive. 8 men tore up their contracts because basically they had no alternative. It was not altruistic, or inspired by a dream. It was just the most sensible option, advised by PFA chairman Taylor, that enabled them to get some financial recompense rather than none at all.

The eight had a nightmare, not a dream. They consulted with the PFA chairman Gordon Taylor regarding the best course of action. One of the 8 was Peter Aitken who'd spent most of his career with the Gas. I doubt when he was turning out at Eastville week in and out that he mentioned to his teammates about  this dream he was having to save their bitter rivals.

I notice that this 8 men had a dream  nonsense seems to come from the younger element among our fan base who weren't around when the events occurred. Anyone around at the time would think such a claim that 8 men were having a dream to save Bristol City was absolute pie in the sky fantasy compared to what was really happening. It is also crass and insensitive. 8 men tore up their contracts because basically they had no alternative. It was not altruistic, or inspired by a dream. It was just the most sensible option, advised by PFA chairman Taylor, that enabled them to get some financial recompense rather than none at all.

I know Peter pretty well, and he most certainly 'one of ours'. I  have taken the piss out of him a few times for helping to 'save' City, but as others have said, none of the 8 had a choice.

What City did at the time was in the rules, and quite possibly your board at the time were doing what they thought was the right thing, however quite a few people did suffer because of their actions.

I do allow myself a wry smile when- quite often on this forum- City fans complain that Rovers 'stole' The Mem, and that they acted immorally with regards to the rugby club, if you are looking to follow a team with a long history of good business ethics in the hope that somehow your team is 'better' than others off the pitch, then football is probably the wrong sport for you!

I know Peter pretty well, and he most certainly 'one of ours'. I have taken the piss out of him a few times for helping to 'save' City, but as others have said, none of the 8 had a choice.

What City did at the time was in the rules, and quite possibly your board at the time were doing what they thought was the right thing, however quite a few people did suffer because of their actions.

I do allow myself a wry smile when- quite often on this forum- City fans complain that Rovers 'stole' The Mem, and that they acted immorally with regards to the rugby club, if you are looking to follow a team with a long history of good business ethics in the hope that somehow your team is 'better' than others off the pitch, then football is probably the wrong sport for you!

Mismanagement had forced us into the AG8 situation. Bristol Rugby's mismanagement did not force you to steal their ground.

Typical non-league view on things

I know Peter pretty well, and he most certainly 'one of ours'. I  have taken the piss out of him a few times for helping to 'save' City, but as others have said, none of the 8 had a choice.

How did the players not have a choice?

When Pompey were going bust the majority of their players owed money didn't tear their contracts up.

Archived