IGNORED

Foreign Players

Bristol_Badger

Apologies if already posted but I'm keen to understand why we don't seem to sign any foreign players?

Do we not have an overseas scouting network?

Surely there are some gems to unearth or some genuinely talented players in some second tiers across Europe?

What's the deal?

How do you know they aren't looking at some foreign players?

One thing that I don't like about the championship and premiership is the amount of foreign player playing in the teams,we love to see a local lad like Joe but there are teams in the higher leagues who would love to have an Englishman in the team ! :englandsmile4wf:  

Disagree with the foreign players will make the team better argument. I think that there is good value to be had by looking for good young players from the lower leagues (like Freeman, Smith, Ayling and Flint). Now we're in the championship we can almost take our pick - particularly as we're establishing a reputation for being a club who can develop their careers. No need to rock the boat - plan A has worked so far - lets see how far it can get us before resorting to plan B!!

Disagree with the foreign players will make the team better argument. I think that there is good value to be had by looking for good young players from the lower leagues (like Freeman, Smith, Ayling and Flint). Now we're in the championship we can almost take our pick - particularly as we're establishing a reputation for being a club who can develop their careers. No need to rock the boat - plan A has worked so far - lets see how far it can get us before resorting to plan B!!

This.

Wait till this reputation goes global, I wouldn't be surprised to see talented youngsters with bags of potential assessed if not bought over the next few years - we could be a good club that is a stepping stone to the pinnacle for most professionals*.

We've picked up youngsters that haven't been able to make the first team at Arsenal & Villa, no reason why we wouldn't do that with the top tiers of other countries with the promise of good first team football.

I don't think there's been an agenda on this, not like when Johnson said he wouldn't go abroad again! I just think we haven't needed to go to foreign leagues, Cotterill will work with anyone if he works hard, is good enough & fits into the squad - his preferences are behind success when it comes to his priorities.

* - EDIT. The premier league being most professionals' pinnacle, not that we could be a stepping stone for most professionals

I'd rather see younger English players given a chance over journeyman foreign players every single day of the week. Think Cotterill shares a similar view based on his recruitment to date.

There are so many foreign players who arent good enough/ don't settle in English football. I recall a few years ago Wigan bought an argentine striker for about 6 million and he played about 2 games, let alone our signings like styvar and saborio. If you are bringing in Zola, bergkamp, Henry, cristiano ronaldo etc, then fair enough, but the amount of dross picking up big money is shocking, and Scottish football is even worse.

I love seeing a team full of English players! Makes me quite proud of the team for some reason and I've always thought it must be a lot better for team spirit. I struggle to see how a team like Man City cope with all the different nationalities. Surely it must be a nightmare getting a good team spirit going when people struggle to speak English, and naturally cliques form as people seek others of the same nationality or ethnicity.

Personally I like the fact our team is made up of predominantly English players and hope that recruitment wise we look to do similarly over the summer as we did last year. We have got to where we are now with homegrown players, why not carry that on in the championship....

Archived