IGNORED

Wade Elliot Situation

JM91

Just to clarify the Wade Elliot situation, am I correct in thinking that he can either take a coaching role here or move elsewhere to continue playing?

Either way is Wade Elliot's playing career at BCFC finished?  If so a massive shame (and in my opinion a mistake) I for one would like to state my thanks for everything Wade has achieved in his short time here, a true professional. 

Yes, that's how I read it.

Pretty obvious Wade wants to keep playing for another year or two, otherwise he'd have signed up for the coaching role I'm sure.

I'd imagine he's waiting to see what offers he gets. If a L1 club offer him a deal then I'd have thought he'll take it.

Don't forget this is his last pay day as a player and taking the coaching role here will involve a big pay-cut.

Yes, that's how I read it.

Pretty obvious Wade wants to keep playing for another year or two, otherwise he'd have signed up for the coaching role I'm sure.

I'd imagine he's waiting to see what offers he gets. If a L1 club offer him a deal then I'd have thought he'll take it.

Don't forget this is his last pay day as a player and taking the coaching role here will involve a big pay-cut.

I read it that he was going to discuss this with his family.

IMO this is a great opportunity and one with the chance of advancement and one that might never come his way again at that level.

it's obviously a big decision for him but again IMO SC was right in this one, the injuries and knocks don't heal so fast at his age.

Think he could play league one still? Pack kept him out the team and I don't think pack is particularly good, so interested to see where he could play.

Must also be frustrating having played decent football and possible playing a lower standard, plus having to move his family again, so maybe he'd take it. From what I've read he's a bright guy so could go on to do well as a manager.

On a side note, did anyone see that Clarke Carlisle used to bully wade Elliot at burnley?! Supposedly homophobic abuse, even though wade is married. Realise Clarke carlisles had some struggles though, and think he feels pretty terrible about it.

I admire Cotterill's ruthlessness. It would have been a sentimental decision to give Wade a new playing contract and one most of us fans would have accepted. It would be great if Wade accepts the u21 role, certainly won't be a job for the boys type appointment in this instance.

Tough call but one I agree with fully to be honest. Nothing against Wade and maybe he could do a decent job in the championship but it's not worth the risk and frees up a midfield slot for us to hopefully bring in a quality signing for the league above.

Hope he takes the coaching job but fully understand if he wants to go elsewhere.

Just to clarify the Wade Elliot situation, am I correct in thinking that he can either take a coaching role here or move elsewhere to continue playing?

Well that seems to be the situation.

Wade Elliot considers his future earlier today, with freshly shaved colleague, Marlon Pack.

27483.jpg

The old City of previous Championship years would have offered him a 3 year deal with a 5 figure wage, mainly because we couldn't attract anyone else.

Job done as far as Elliott is concerned, another promotion to add to his cv whilst he can again pick his next move. If nothing comes up that takes his fancy then he may think about the next stage of his career.

Seems like a top professional who has clearly looked after himself (like Wilbs), he may not have played much but I'm sure he has has a positive influence around the changing room.

Good luck to him whatever he decides to do.

I personally think it was the signing of Wade Elliott that halted our shuddering slump down the League ladder. He came in at  a time when League Two was looming large. 

Once he'd got to full fitness, he rarely misplaced a pass, and for the first time for a long while we had a footballer who could not only pass, but actually Pass and move.

He turned our season round, and his confidence and enthusiasm seemed to rub off on his team mates.

It's only my opinion, but whatever Wade Elliott decides, I would like to thank him for everything he did for Bristol City. A true professional 

I hope and think he'll stay, this in many ways gives him a future and a chance to learn in a new role, he might think if he goes elsewhere to play, he might have 1 year left and then no security of a coaching role anywhere and back to scratch. He might decide securing his future and getting his coaching badges here in charge of our youth is a very good step for him  if he wishes to stay in football when he stops playing.

If wade took up Mr Cotterill's offer, would he be able to play for the u21's? would be good for the younger lads to play with him and he gets to carry on playing. I heard someone talking about it at another club where they had an older player running the u21's and playing for them too. Think it was steve fletcher at Bournemouth.

If wade took up Mr Cotterill's offer, would he be able to play for the u21's? would be good for the younger lads to play with him and he gets to carry on playing. I heard someone talking about it at another club where they had an older player running the u21's and playing for them too. Think it was steve fletcher at Bournemouth.

In my opinion, the likes of Joe Morrell would benefit massively in being coached and managed and maybe even playing with a successful player.

If he were to be registered he could, yeah. Would very likely happen at some point too.

Bit pointless for him to play. Would need the 'over age' spots in the team for first teamers who need fitness. It's coach or nothing as far as I'm concerned. Big decision for Wade though and as this would effectively mean his retirement I'm surprised Cotts didn't speak to him a few weeks ago so he could decide and than potentially say farewell to football in the last couple of games.

I think there are several types of player, ones who want to play as they can do nothing else and those who have the intelligence and skills to continue in the game without playing. I applaud those who carry on, but sometimes it's sad seeing them drop further and further down the leagues living on past glories. Do we really want to see Wade Elliott turning out for Havant and Waterlooville etc?

Also it must be a hard decision to finally hang up the boots, maybe sometimes it's better that decision is made for you. I think Cotterill is trying to do this for Wade by offering a way to be involved at the club without playing. Afterall there is only room for one kitman, Scotty Murray seems to be treated the same as if he is still playing (hotel stays etc, other kitman are probably envious) so I hope Wade takes up the offer and thinks slightly more long term than another season playing. It would be a shame to let his obvious skills with players slip away.

Presumably if he was at the club as U-21 manager there would be nothing in theory to stop the club registering him as a player, though you'd think only in emergency circumstances.

This is exactly how I saw it. Wade will be a great influence on the u21 and can step up if required. I think SC is being very fair, as Wade might want to play first team football but we can't offer him that. Whether Wade decides to play on a go for a coaching role with us, it will be great for all involved. Well done SC and the club.

A shame to see Wade (and JET) move on - be it to another club or simply out of his playing gear, but if the last 12 months have shown me anything, it's that Cotts knows exactly what he's doing. In the past I've doubted managers' decisions RE: players going in and out. But Cotts I trust, and I believe that whatever decision he makes it is the right one. He's not put a foot wrong this past season and a bit.

Thank you Wadey, you've been a model pro and have led the team on and off the pitch fantastically. Couldn't have done it without him I can guarantee that. Hope he stays and coaches the younger boys - they'd really benefit from his intelligence on and off the pitch, and his professional attitude to the game.

Archived