IGNORED

Bristol Sport Mulling Over High Profile Pre Season Friendly At Ag

CyderInACan

I know a lot like Willem II but it probably wouldn't fall into the club/Bristol sport's vision of a "high profile" side. Besides, think a lot would like to have the game at their place if it were to happen?

Would like a premier league team ideally, but a team from the continent would be a good way to build up to start of season too

Really we wont be able to attract anyone of note, all the teams that could draw in crowds will send a 2nd XI as their first team will be pimping themselves out in whatever new market the club is aiming for.  and anyone below those elite teams wouldnt draw in any crowds.

What efforts have "the fans" put in to arranging a friendly?

sent a petition to the club, contacted Bristol sport contacted a director. travelled to Tilburg since 2008 meeting payers directors fan groups who are up for it. And on the last trip members of the Lansdown club attended who will have passed on their views of Willem II fc their great hospitality and facilities.

Hardly a draw for the vast majority of City fans who have never heard of them mind;

No it isnt high profile and Willem II are not a big club like City are not either, right for some grand opening not really but the majority with any knowledge of the game will have heard of them and will know of ex players like Hyypia overmars and stam.

Agreed it should be someone along the lines of Real Madrid if possible. Bournemouth got hold of them and at the time they weren't much of a higher status club than us. We've become a bit of a nationally recognised club for the first time since the play-off season. Let's push than internationally and try for a top side from one of the top European leagues. That's what I'd consider "high profile" - not a mid-table Prem team.

Real, Barca, Bayern, Juventus or any others similar. Aim high.

I heard that EastEnders and Corrie often field teams I charity matches.

With viewing audiences in the millions, they'd be sure to #PackTheGate.

Oi Ref! Mike Baldwin was offside!

Shared spoils as well, which'll keep police costs down, because as 'Wicksy' said....

Every loser wins.

Really we wont be able to attract anyone of note, all the teams that could draw in crowds will send a 2nd XI as their first team will be pimping themselves out in whatever new market the club is aiming for.  and anyone below those elite teams wouldnt draw in any crowds.

We could, if we pay for it. Real Madrid didn't turn up to Bmouth and play their stars because Bmouth asked them very nicely to. I'm sure I read somewhere Bmouth paid a couple of hundred thousand for the privilege.

If we would need to go down that route, whilst some would question if it's a worthy expense, I'd forgive Lansdown a bit of vanity for the brand new stadium he has built.

I heard that EastEnders and Corrie often field teams I charity matches.

With viewing audiences in the millions, they'd be sure to #PackTheGate.

Oi Ref! Mike Baldwin was offside!

Shared spoils as well, which'll keep police costs down, because as 'Wicksy' said....

Every loser wins.

I think you could be on to something here Bristol Rob.

I'd suggest we play the cast of popular antipodean drama "Home & Away" so we can, ummm, play them twice.

I think you could be on to something here Bristol Rob.

I'd suggest we play the cast of popular antipodean drama "Home & Away" so we can, ummm, play them twice.

We could give DaveL the weekend off and see if Stuart Hall can get day release and we could host some sort of 'winner stays on' type cup competition.

#Knockout

No it isnt high profile and Willem II are not a big club like City are not either, right for some grand opening not really but the majority with any knowledge of the game will have heard of them and will know of ex players like Hyypia overmars and stam.

I think you're being a bit optistic in saying the majority with any knowledge of the game will have heard of Willy 2. The majority of City fans don't read the forum and football in the Netherlands isn't very high profile in this country. Most will have heard about Ajax and PSV, but that's about it.

• Admin

I think you're being a bit optistic in saying the majority with any knowledge of the game will have heard of Willy 2. The majority of City fans don't read the forum and football in the Netherlands isn't very high profile in this country. Most will have heard about Ajax and PSV, but that's about it.

Good point, lots of people I know that travel to Tilburg don't go near this forum, if anything from the way it reads I would say very few actually post on here..

Would be very naive to underestimate the potential of this.

To my mind, a match against Willem II would have much the same profile for your average football fan as the pre-season friendly we had against Royal Antwerp not so long ago.

If they were good enough to play, why not Willem II? Especially as there is a growing group of supporters already actively pursuing this?

To my mind, a match against Willem II would have much the same profile for your average football fan as the pre-season friendly we had against Royal Antwerp not so long ago.

If they were good enough to play, why not Willem II? Especially as there is a growing group of supporters already actively pursuing this?

I think the club has changed a lot since we played Royal Antwerp. That was 7 years ago.

I think the club has changed a lot since we played Royal Antwerp. That was 7 years ago.

Do you mean you think we're better than that now?

We were a championship club at the time, just the same as we are at the moment.

Yes the majority of fans do not read this forum including the the now large groups [one very soon] that go over to Tilburg. Not sure what that otib has to do with it. if people do have a knowledge of the game they will have heard of Willem II even if they do not know much about them.

Archived