IGNORED

Best City Goals You Have Seen?

simon uk

Two stick in my mind

Roberts vs Hartlepool, mazy run, last minute, sheer drama, back from the dead

Donowa - last minute, the missed pen, and the fact it was them

If I had to pick, it's Donowa every single time for me. That goal, the 90 seconds of Ashton Gate nearly taking off, the gutted looks on their faces, that is what football is all about

One of the earliest goals I can remember seeing was Junior Bent in the last minutes again the 15'ers.  I was young, quite new to watching City and I went absolutely mental!  Oddly I don't remember much about the goal itself, but the feeling of getting one over the rivals (back when they were rivals!) has always stuck with me.

More recently, the Trundle goal against Palace in the play off semi is up there as one of my favourite Ashton Gate memories.

All of these and many more have merit - too difficult to pick one

Few more to stir the memories -

The real SuperBob scored a couple of crackers against Swansea away, a 30 yd volley at AG v Crewe just before he got injured and our title went south

Also a cracking overhead kick against Birmingham early in the 89/90 season

Ralph Milne scored some crackers in his short time with us !!! (Bury & Palace at home, York City away)

Another cracker that has to be up there for the 'moment' has to be the excitement and shock at Paul Mardons long ranger at Cloughs Forest in the Littlewoods Semi First Leg to take the lead

Roberts v Mansfield almost gets lost in the emotion of the game and also the appalling camera angle/footage but it was an absolute thunderbolt.

Matty Byrants 35yarder in the 90s is worthy of a mention..

When I saw the headline the first four that came to mind were:-

Maynard at QPR

Noble at Palace

Ray Cashley v Hull 1973 when he scored from the East End into the Open End.

Trundle  v Palace

Oh yeah and Byfield last minute at Watford

Maybe not the best goals but all very memorable.

Roberts v Mansfield almost gets lost in the emotion of the game and also the appalling camera angle/footage but it was an absolute thunderbolt.

Matty Byrants 35yarder in the 90s is worthy of a mention..

Matt Bryants screamer - good shout

Just reminded me , thinking abot Matt / Centre halves - a Keith Curle goal at AG when playing at centre half he brought ball out, defenders backed off and he accelerated through the lot of them and finished - a run of some 60-70m with some blistering pace !!!

Can't remember who it was against

Just reminded me , thinking abot Matt / Centre halves - a Keith Curle goal at AG when playing at centre half he brought ball out, defenders backed off and he accelerated through the lot of them and finished - a run of some 60-70m with some blistering pace !!!

Newport I think, won 3-1.

Newport ?

Tinnion's free kick against Cambridge always sticks in my mind. They'd just had Perez sent off (the bleach blonde GK who was at Sunderland) for handling outside the box. Renditions of 'Where's your froggy gone' came from the stands. Beadle flicked the ball up Tinns hit it on the volley over the wall & into the back of the net as the sub goalkeeper stood froze to the spot. 

Lots of beauties have already been mentioned, but here are a few more that stick in my memory, even if some of them weren't the most spectacular.

The third goal at Wembley in '86, which involved a brilliant build up with two pinpoint cross-field passes from Walsh and Pritchard.

Nicky Morgan with a superb bullet header in the early 1990s against Blackburn after a typically marauding run down the left wing by Dave Smith. Similar to Thorpe's goal aginst the gas in 2000 from Aaron Brown's cross.

Roberts' winner away to Mansfield still makes me smile - a completely unforgettable end to a game. His goal against Hartlepool in the play offs was amazing at the time but the memory, for me, was soured by our abject performance that year in the final.

This season all three goals against Swindle and the flurry of goals in the second half against Walsall will live long in the memory.

I also remember listening to the commentary on the radio with my dad when Hirst got the winner at Eastville in the 2-1 cup win (1983?) and us dancing around the room. Certainly the best goal I've experienced when I wasn't at the actual game and one of those moments as a young lad that helped to cement my love of City. What made it even better was seeing the way the ball seemed to trickle over the line on the TV highlights. 

Goal by beadle, last kick of the game, we were losing 2-1 and had a corner, headed clearance and beadle volleys the ball into the top corner. No idea who it was against though

Not necessarily the best I've seen, but it sticks in my mind

Luton in 2002-03?

Ralph Milnes solo effort at the manor ground in Oxford in the league cup.

Dribbled it around 4 or 5 players before curling it past the keeper... (well that's how I remember it!)

Also one that sticks in my mind was David Clarkson at the gate 40 yarder from half way line.. amazing goal. (Particularly as it was from him!)

Lots and lots ... but remember a side foot volley by Ralph Milne against I think Bury.

Also remember as on the news I could be seen celebrating in the East End with a stunning Stone Wash Denim jacket ... how sad!

You remember right Palmers - feeling it might of been his debut

Archived