IGNORED

Pubs That Have Gone

myol'man

The Sportsmans Arms down by the sally army, used to be full of old guys shouting at themselves

up the road opposit was the little volley ( the rifleman volunteer ) not too sure if thats the correct name or if it's now closed !

an lully old dear ran it, she had a back garded full of Gnomes ! think they were for all the gnome less :facepalm:

One pub that closed before I had a chance was Seahorses. Ok it closed for a good reason to build the kiddies hospital but shame I never went in there.

Does anyone have any memories of the St Davids Hotel down bottom of StMicheals?. Always thought it looks a great imposing pub building but I've heard it was a bit rough. Don't really know much about that one.

I remember the Volunteer Tavern near the SallyArmy. George and June (think that's her name) ran it. Hadn't changed inside since 1972. Old fashioned wood draw till, ciggys, chocolate selection. Ancient TV "shut up Corrie's on". George took about 10 mins to serve you bless him. Think they both died in there sadly. It's a great ArborAles house now but had a wonderful quality the old Volunteer. Ahh memories :)

The Highwayman, top of Warmley Hill, was my local and I used to work there for a while. Great pub in the late 80's early 90's until the landlord Barry was forced out by the brewery. He even built a ski slope in the back garden and managed to get himself into the Sun newspaper for it.

In came the managers and it was a downhill all the way.

I live just down the road from there, spent many a happy teenage Friday evening getting bladdered then staggering home. Now it's flats and a shop.

The other thing that winds me up is the re-naming of a Pub and I know that you'll say this has gone on for centuries BUT

'The Louisiana" ?? hah what a travesty. It will always be the Bathurst Tavern, brilliant, brilliant unique shaped Pub, in Prince Street and next to, you got it,  the ****ing  BATHURST BASIN, where my mate used to moor his converted life boat.

The other one, not quite as bad, "The Tap and Barrel" - should of course still be the Clarence Hotel, Dean Lane Bedminster. Just down the road was "Chinny" Pope's bike shop. Theese know.

First ever drinks in there aged 13, I will never ever drink rough cider again. Run by an old boy who always wore a white stewards jacket, proper job, with his equally ancient missus. Bare floorboards, spit and sawdust the lot. Again 3 people in there was a shed full for them - I understand why it had to change.

Went in when I was about 14 with my big sis who was 19. I asked for a half of bitter for her. "You mean a GLASS of bitter, don't you" says the old dear and "Is that young lady 18?"

Happy days

The Queens Head in Willsbridge. Got my first pint in there at the tender age of 15. Utter shithole and despite a string of landlords with big ideas, they could never get past the planning constraints of a listed building.

The very rules meant to protect the character of the place eventually lead to its downfall. Currently being a converted into a house, and one of the oldest pubs in the Bristol area lost forever.

Didn't realise that.. Is a shame, proper old school 'andy capp and flo' type boozer only went in there four or five times in my life at least thirty years ago at that .. Still sad to think its gone though.

Incidently my father was born in one of the cottages/houses adjacent to the old pub, and I vaguely remember him telling me of a wartime plane coming down near the gardens at the back,, (think it was 'one of ours' not certain though, and not 100% percent sure where plane crashed because I'm pretty sure it was the pilot who parachuted down there and survived. (Be interesting if anyone has more accurate info on that wartime incident, its just a vague childhood tale for me)

Heard on radio a couple of weeks ago that THE BULL (near river close to Troopers Hill Crews Hole/Hanham/Conham) has actually REOPENED after years of being boarded up... Used to be very busy pub in the past, hope the landlord (sounded very enthusiastic in radio piece) succeeds in making a go of the place again.

Its a big building on a sizable footprint inc carpark spaces, I was convinced it'd end up like the Wedlocks wrecked and turned into flats. Delighted to hear someone is trying to give it a new lease of life. :)

Heard on radio a couple of weeks ago that THE BULL (near river close to Troopers Hill Cobham) has actually REOPENED after years of being boarded up... Used to be very busy pub in the past, hope the landlord (sounded very enthusiastic in radio piece) succeeds in making a go of the place again.

Its a big building on a sizable footprint inc carpark spaces, I was convinced it'd end up like the Wedlocks wrecked and turned into flats. Delighted to hear someone is trying to give it a new lease of life. :)

It should be busy with all the houses around that area and no other pub close by.

Bourne End was a great pub just a shame nobody used it towards the end.

One I do not mourn the passing of was Wayfarer. Rancid pit in my opinion.

The Bush Totterdown was ok but got ridden with druggy types and now a creche.

Park House St John's Lane had a rough edge but was ok. Obviously closed after that tradgic night.

Mayors Arms in Redcliffe was a typical 70s estate pub. Remember the landlord was ancient. Now a ruby house.

Which years are you talking about? My uncle used to be the landlord there with my Auntie, and my nan and mother worked there at the same time !

Is there anyone out there old enough to remember a pub in East Street, Bedminster that was locally known as Fussell's, though I'm not sure that was the name on the pub sign? Perhaps it still exists in some form - I haven't been down East street in many a year - but I suspect it's gone the way of many others.

Is there anyone out there old enough to remember a pub in East Street, Bedminster that was locally known as Fussell's, though I'm not sure that was the name on the pub sign? Perhaps it still exists in some form - I haven't been down East street in many a year - but I suspect it's gone the way of many others.

Now the Assembly.

All makes rather depressing reading....I'm really lucky out in the sticks...Chipping Sodbury has a plethora of pubs.

In fact the most recently opened, a converted old Post office, feels like it's been their for Centuries.

Try this place out if passing...great CAMRA pub....a 'proper' drinking pub.

http://horseshoechippingsodbury.co.uk/

whats going on with the portcullis spud?

Archived