IGNORED

F.a. Cup Final Day As Us Old People Remember It

phantom

• Admin

For those of us that grew up before the days of SKY TV, the big day for football was always FA Cup final Saturday.

The BBC coverage would start after the Saturday morning kids programme and then run through all day up to the news about 5pm (ish)

Sadly the influx of football over the many channels meant that this once great day in any young footballing fans season, meant less and less and the coverage eventually dried up.

BUT, it's good to see that the BBC are giving it another bash this year with extended coverage.

• BBC Breakfast (06:30-10:00, BBC One)
  • FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (08:30-09:30, BBC Two)
  • MOTD Kickabout (09:30-10:00, BBC Two)
  • Saturday Kitchen ( 10:00-11:30, BBC One)
  • FA Cup 50 Greatest Moments (10:00-12:00, BBC Two)
  • Football Focus (12:10-13:00, BBC One)
  • Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory (BBC One, 13:00-14:00)
  • FA Cup TOTP 2 (14:05-14:30, BBC One)
  • Pointless FA Cup Special (14:30-15:20, BBC One)
  • The Road to Wembley (15:25-15:55, BBC One)
  • MOTD LIVE: FA Cup Final Build Up (15:55-17:15, BBC One)
  • MOTD LIVE: Arsenal v Aston Villa (17:15-19:50, BBC One)

For those of us that grew up before the days of SKY TV, the big day for football was always FA Cup final Saturday.

The BBC coverage would start after the Saturday morning kids programme and then run through all day up to the news about 5pm (ish)

Sadly the influx of football over the many channels meant that this once great day in any young footballing fans season, meant less and less and the coverage eventually dried up.

BUT, it's good to see that the BBC are giving it another bash this year with extended coverage.

• BBC Breakfast (06:30-10:00, BBC One)
  • FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (08:30-09:30, BBC Two)
  • MOTD Kickabout (09:30-10:00, BBC Two)
  • Saturday Kitchen ( 10:00-11:30, BBC One)
  • FA Cup 50 Greatest Moments (10:00-12:00, BBC Two)
  • Football Focus (12:10-13:00, BBC One)
  • Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory (BBC One, 13:00-14:00)
  • FA Cup TOTP 2 (14:05-14:30, BBC One)
  • Pointless FA Cup Special (14:30-15:20, BBC One)
  • The Road to Wembley (15:25-15:55, BBC One)
  • MOTD LIVE: FA Cup Final Build Up (15:55-17:15, BBC One)
  • MOTD LIVE: Arsenal v Aston Villa (17:15-19:50, BBC One)

Talking about this this morning.

I remember watching the build up to the Man City v Spurs final in '81. They would always interview people in the grounds of the team hotel and I recall John Bond being interviewed. He said the players had all just had their breakfast "they all had scrambled eggs, except Gerry Gow, who had a raw steak and 6 inch nails"

Broadcasters (especially the BBC) get a lot of stick for various reasons, sometimes justified and sometimes not, but really well done to them on this.

I wonder if last year's final played a part in their decision to go with this, it was the first one that I've watched in a few years (partly due to the stupid kick off time now) and I thought it was a brilliant game.

Broadcasters (especially the BBC) get a lot of stick for various reasons, sometimes justified and sometimes not, but really well done to them on this.

I wonder if last year's final played a part in their decision to go with this, it was the first one that I've watched in a few years (partly due to the stupid kick off time now) and I thought it was a brilliant game.

It's literally taken me about 60 seconds to recall who played in last years final....how sad is that?

Last one I remember watching was either Liverpool - West Ham, or Arsenal - Southampton, whichever came last out of those two, got to be at least 8 years ago?

It's literally taken me about 60 seconds to recall who played in last years final....how sad is that?

Last one I remember watching was either Liverpool - West Ham, or Arsenal - Southampton, whichever came last out of those two, got to be at least 8 years ago?

I just had to google it!

I just had to google it!

I haven't got a clue.

Sad, eh? I could remember every final, the score etc going back to early 60s when I was a kid

First final I remember watching was United-Arsenal, 78 or 79 I guess? The sun was shining, watched it was my Dad and my brother, Dad was Spurs, so was supporting United, brother was Arsenal - I got bored with a couple of minutes to go and went and played a game of my own on the drive.....missed the late United equaliser, and the even later Arsenal winner. Didn't move a muscle on Cup Final day for the next 20 years or so!

That takes me back, watching that as a kid with my old man...

Mick McManus

Kendo Nagasaki

Giant Haystacks

The Royal Brothers

Jackie Pallow

The guy that used to do the Indian war dance....tip of me tongue....nope, its gone.

Happy days !

not forgetting Pat Roach!

I'm not old enough to remember much of the pre-Sky days, but even in the 90s the cup final still had an air about it that it lacks now.

That said, the 1991 cup final with Gazza's injury and Des Walker's own goal is one of my earliest football memories, along with Gazza's free kick v Arsenal in the semi.  "School boy's own stuff" as Barry Davies put it.

Yes, it was almost as special as Xmas Day was Cup Final day in the 1970s to early 80s and the build up on tv and well done BBC for trying to make the day special again. However, it will be doomed to failure for one simple reason. In the 1970s and early 80s the Cup Final was the only club match shown live on tv throughout the entire year. That in itself made it special. I recall one of the main reasons I wanted City to get to the Final in that period was because I wanted us to feature on national tv, and both channels at that, for hours on that special day in May. The honour of being a cup finalist was incidental to this. Indeed, had City reached the Cup Final in the 1970s daft though this sounds seeing that I didn't miss many home matches in that decade, I would've probably remained at home to savour the coverage on tv...plus it was pre video recorder days.

Now, hardly a day goes by during the season when there isn't live coverage of a domestic club match on tv. Usually, coverage of those games involves lots of interviews and features on the clubs involved. The cup final has become just another tv fixture and no matter how it is spruced up it will never replicate its standing in the 50s, 60s, 70s and early 80s.

That takes me back, watching that as a kid with my old man...

Mick McManus

Kendo Nagasaki

Giant Haystacks

The Royal Brothers

Jackie Pallow

The guy that used to do the Indian war dance....tip of me tongue....nope, its gone.

Happy days !

Edit - Billy Two Rivers

Don't forget the very camp Adrian Sweet

Talking about this this morning.

I remember watching the build up to the Man City v Spurs final in '81. They would always interview people in the grounds of the team hotel and I recall John Bond being interviewed. He said the players had all just had their breakfast "they all had scrambled eggs, except Gerry Gow, who had a raw steak and 6 inch nails"

He must have cut them before the game .

Archived