IGNORED

Clubs That Are Bigger Than They Think That They Are.

ZiderEyed

Nottm Forest

Sheffield Wednesday

Newcastle

Leeds

All have large numbers of fans with ideas above their station from my experience.

On the other hand you've got clubs like Norwich and West Brom that have grounds to play the massive card but on the whole seem to remain quite grounded and humble.

As a geordie I feel I should defend Newcastle a tad - I don't think there are any Newcastle fans at the moment who believe that Newcastle are either a big team or play attractive football.

They know they have potential (good fanbase, only team in the city, rich owner), and it wasn't that long ago that they could be put in the same bracket as clubs such as Spurs (good teams but not the best).

As mentioned, it's got to be:

Leeds

Newcastle

Liverpool

As others have said, I don't get all the mentions for Liverpool?

Totally respect your opinion but mine is that with 18 League titles, five European Cups, loads of FA Cup and League Cup wins, sell out every home game and away allocations, attract some amazing players but probably don't use them correctly, fan clubs all over the World etc etc then they are BIG...

Are there any foreign ones? I suppose technically, you could put AC Milan down. Despite being a giant, slipped massively, and expectations from fans are still huge.

I agree. Winning 8 league titles, 5 league cups, 7 European cups and 2 cup winners cup doesn't make you big. Who do their fans think they are?

Southampton- years of doing nothing and not winning a thing and they think they're one of the biggest clubs in the country

I know a couple of Southampton fans here, and neither of them have given any indication that they consider themselves a big club, rather a moderately sized club punching well above their weight at present.

Clearly your experience might vary.

As others have said, I don't get all the mentions for Liverpool?

Totally respect your opinion but mine is that with 18 League titles, five European Cups, loads of FA Cup and League Cup wins, sell out every home game and away allocations, attract some amazing players but probably don't use them correctly, fan clubs all over the World etc etc then they are BIG...

They've been that bigger club in the past.

They've fallen off and haven't won a domestic title for quite a long time.

I wouldn't put them in the same category as Chelsea, Man U & Man C. Those 3 are a cut above. Liverpool fans live too far in the past, rather than present terms. Though I'd say a lot if Liverpool 'fans' I know think they're a top side and I'd definitely disagree. Last season was a once in a decade season for them, otherwise they're in that 4th-7/8th team side in the Prem League.

That's the main reasoning, or at least, that's what I would argue.

I wouldn't put them in the same category as Chelsea, Man U & Man C. Those 3 are a cut above. Liverpool fans live too far in the past, rather than present terms. Though I'd say a lot if Liverpool 'fans' I know think they're a top side and I'd definitely disagree. Last season was a once in a decade season for them, otherwise they're in that 4th-7/8th team side in the Prem League.

Those cheeky Scousers have a different view, and I tend to side with them on this one.  Rich club <> big club.

B16stHuCYAAlOp_.jpg

The only thing I agree with is that they aren't a top side. However they are a massive football club.

I know a couple of Southampton fans here, and neither of them have given any indication that they consider themselves a big club, rather a moderately sized club punching well above their weight at present.

Clearly your experience might vary.

Quite. Southampton is a small city and I think Saints fans are rightly proud that their club is enjoying their second period of major success.

I have never got the vibe off them that they thought they were the "Big I Ams" - and I lived there for nearly 4 years.

It really depends how you measure a big club. Arsenal recently went a decade without a single trophy but would you say they arent a big club? That their fans expect too much?

Despite not winning a league title in an age liverpool have consistently won trophies to the point where Rogers is currently being derided as he is the first manager not to have won a trophy in his first 3 years since the 50's.

I really couldn't care for them... but there is no denying the size of their fan base around the world and the trophies in their cabinet. Manchester city and chelsea are currently richer and more successful, does that make them a bigger club? Im not convinced but as I say it depends how you measure it.

Archived