IGNORED

Two Club City - Good Or Bad Thing ?

Major Isewater

I know football has changed a lot in the last century but we haven't finished a season as high as runners up in the top flight or FA Cup finalists since a Gypsy put a curse on Bristol in the early 1920s and gave us 'ye olde Gas'. Maybe they haven't held us back as such but there's no evidence that two league clubs in the City will encourage any success whatsoever for football in Bristol.

I know football has changed a lot in the last century but we haven't finished a season as high as runners up in the top flight or FA Cup finalists since a Gypsy put a curse on Bristol in the early 1920s and gave us 'ye olde Gas'. Maybe they haven't held us back as such but there's no evidence that two league clubs in the City will encourage any success whatsoever for football in Bristol.

there aren't two clubs tho'

there is one club and one joke

Underachievement has it's advantages. At least we have the highs and lows of promotions/relegations/play offs/Wembley trips for tin pot trophies.

Imagine how boring it must be to support someone like Everton or Villa.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Two club city is great IMO.

I recall John Hall lecturing us about how the Bristol clubs should merge and then be "successful" like Newcastle but that's a false comparison.  Newcastle have their big rivalry with Sunderland (and to a lesser extent Middlesborough) who are just down the road.

Bristol isn't close to another big city (Cardiff doesn't count because that's in Wales) so what gives us our rivalry is that which gives Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Notts, Birmingham their rivalry - a second club in the city.

And rivalry is what makes players and fans enthusiastic and makes it far more exciting to follow your club.

Clearly footballing hotbeds like Manchester and Liverpool are able to sustain two clubs in the Premier League. However, Bristol has never been a footballing hotbed and history would tend to suggest that having two league clubs has not done us any favours at all in terms of success, in a city that does not love sport.

People saying our attendances aren't that bad given the "dross" we've been served up should consider our attendances in the championship playoff season. We averaged around 16-17k. Consider how many fans would have watched teams such as Everton or Man City - also from "two club" cities - in that situation.

This certainly doesn't mean I'm advocating a merger of the clubs - definitely not! But I can't help but wonder how much more success one Bristol team might have had over the course of history.

I don't go along with this apathy nonsense, when you think of what the Bristolian football public have had to put up with over the years I think it's a great effort that an average of nearly 20,000 supporters watched lower league football last season which is not far behind many footballing hotbeds in the North

Harry's, surely 'what we have had to put up with over the years' is a direct result of the general apathy in this area.

If more of the ( massive) population in Bristol had bothered to get off their arses over the years, we may not have had to put up with years of shite ;)

Clearly footballing hotbeds like Manchester and Liverpool are able to sustain two clubs in the Premier League. However, Bristol has never been a footballing hotbed and history would tend to suggest that having two league clubs has not done us any favours at all in terms of success, in a city that does not love sport.

People saying our attendances aren't that bad given the "dross" we've been served up should consider our attendances in the championship playoff season. We averaged around 16-17k. Consider how many fans would have watched teams such as Everton or Man City - also from "two club" cities - in that situation.

This certainly doesn't mean I'm advocating a merger of the clubs - definitely not! But I can't help but wonder how much more success one Bristol team might have had over the course of history.

The football hotbed that is greater Manchester sustain and support much more than their "star" clubs. They also sustain and keenly support Rochdale, Oldham, Bury as well as a couple more who've been in and out of the league such as Macclesfield, Altrincham and Stockport. What have we got? Bristol City, Bristol Rovers (recently revived), FGR, Mangotsfield & Weston-s-Mare. No comparison to be honest. 

I thought the effective capacity was only 18000?

I recall John Hall lecturing us about how the Bristol clubs should merge and then be "successful" like Newcastle but that's a false comparison.  Newcastle have their big rivalry with Sunderland (and to a lesser extent Middlesborough) who are just down the road.....

newcastle?...successful!!!!
how long ago?

We all harp on about Rovers historically holding us back but is it really a bad thing to have two professional Football clubs in one city ?

Manchester ,Liverpool and Sheffield are all examples of two club cities and whilst it has not been great recently in Yorkshire's capital both clubs have played at the highest level .

Does the competition drive the clubs to higher performance ?

I think it would be good for us if the Gas were more on our level either that or just disappear completely .It's the hanging on pretending that they matter that annoys me .

When was the last time we coveted a Gas player ?

So for me we need the rivalry it adds spice and interest to a result .

Just so long as we keep the upper hand .

Leeds is most definitely our capital, historically of course it would have been York.

Sorry OP, not trying to be pedantic (before anyone says anything, yep I'm aware that's a contradiction, 2 otib crimes of horror).

I recall John Hall lecturing us about how the Bristol clubs should merge and then be "successful" like Newcastle but that's a false comparison. Newcastle have their big rivalry with Sunderland (and to a lesser extent Middlesborough) who are just down the road.....

how long ago?

sounds good,let's just be called Bristol and watch the crowds flock in,1000 max i would say

In Aberdeen everyone gets behind the one club. Dundee sees only friendly rivalry, not hatred between the two teams.

Back in 82 there was no thought of following Rovers if City folded. Similarly, Rovers fans won't switch allegiance should they go bust. If there was only one club, kids growing up might follow the one club, but not the older generation. Did Swindon or Reading attract new fans when Oxford dropped out of the League?

I live near Oxford and work with a lot of football fans.  When Oxford dropped out of the league, a lot of the local youngsters took up the colours of premiership sides and that's where their allegiances still lie more's the pity.

I recall John Hall lecturing us about how the Bristol clubs should merge and then be "successful" like Newcastle but that's a false comparison. Newcastle have their big rivalry with Sunderland (and to a lesser extent Middlesborough) who are just down the road.....

how long ago?

Hmmm... I think my inverted commas may have been missed.

My point was that John Hall was talking rubbish.

Swindon rivals :laugh:,Cardiff for me followed by the gas

We've just stood toe to toe with Swindle the whole season, had two cracking competitive games and every single one of us enjoyed wiping the smug look on those ***** faces when they were in Ashton Gate. Seeing Swindle choke at the final hurdle has been terrific to watch. And there's a very good chance we'll be competing with them again in the championship.

Compared to the 15'ers, been in a higher league position than them since 2000, haven't played a league game since 2001. Brilliant, intense rivalry.. They brag about getting promoted to a league we haven't been in for 31 years..  They are a mickey mouse club in every sense of the word, always have and always will be. R*vers are great to point and laugh, and believe me we do but from a rivalry point of view...??

Archived