IGNORED

Terry Cooper

red mist

Just saw his interview on Subs Bench. I know he's been very ill but looked well and in good form with his stories whenBCFC manager

Well done T C

Gutted to of missed this, is it repeated?

Edit I see it is at 10pm.

Cheers for the heads up gents, will watch later. Bona fide City legend is TC.

I think one of the corporate suits in the corner of the south stand should be named after him. Also eight of the boxes named after each of the Ashton eight. 

Minimum. I'd name one of the stands after him myself.

Just saw his interview on Subs Bench. I know he's been very ill but looked well and in good form with his stories whenBCFC manager

Well done T C

Best Manager in my time following City (which includes Alan Dicks). Not because of what he achieved results wise but he took over a club in intensive care with Doctors recommending the life support machine be switched off and turned us pretty quickly into something that was worth watching on a Saturday afternoon and that fans felt a part of.

Whilst we used to moan at times that we were a gung ho side with a soft underbelly we didn't really realise how lucky we were and it wasn't half fun. We went from the depths of despair with Cooper having to dip into his own pocket to buy players fish and chips on the way home from away games to Bolton Wanderers at Wembley, players like Glyn Riley who claimed the only way he would leave the club was in a coffin, claiming our rightful place from the 26 'ers as Bristol's number 1 team, that cup tie at the Ikea Dome that seemed to turn the club round in an instant, attacking football with two wingers etc. etc. - it's a shame Cooper couldn't make that next step up in terms of getting us to the second tier but he didn't do badly in hindsight!!

His Son could learn a lot from him.

I think one of the corporate suits in the corner of the south stand should be named after him. Also eight of the boxes named after each of the Ashton eight. 

I really don't think it appropriate for Sir Terry to be associated with corporate suits, do you? ;) A stand, maybe.

Really enjoyed that interview and I think it's the first time I've actually seen or heard TC talk about his time at City retrospectively. I thought it came across that he obviously has genuine feeling for the club and some strong recollections of the period, even if he did struggle to remember one or two names.

For me, the most interesting point was that he felt during his last couple of seasons the board weren't prepared to spend any money on new signings, leading him to step down and hand over the reins to Joe Jordan, for whom they would spend. Which they did.

Part 2 next week, talking about the Wembley games.

A Bristol City legend is an overused term but not where Mr Terry Cooper is concerned.

Along with those business men who led the rescue operation, the 2,000 supporters who bought shares, TC was a major reason why our beloved football club, BCFC, rose from the depths to a much safer place in the league structure.

I love my club and it's very existence is due to people like Terry Cooper and I thank him for his part in our history.

Yep, makes me laugh when people on here call for legendary status to be bestowed on people who have been with us for five minutes in relative terms and have basically just done their jobs.

Terry Cooper went way above and beyond that, repairing/ decorating the ground, helping new players move house, buying grub on the way back from away games etc - all in his own time and out of his own pocket.

Terry Cooper - Bristol City Legend.

Yep, he deserves that.

Please think carefully when saying someone is a 'legend' - what have they done to deserve that?

Very pleased to hear he is better or on the mend.

I share many of the remarks from Numero Uno; it was the around that time I started watching City almost week in, week out, home and away. Jordan got the fans going very well but nobody since Terry really engaged with the fans until Gary J came along.

To see Terry almost in tears at Wembley when we won the Freight Rover was humbling. 

I remember writing to him asking him to sign some obscure nobody (what do I know), or a change in tactics/lineup, and received a proper handwritten reply. He understood my concerns, but I'm pretty sure he considered them to be bollocks. Very eloquent and charming bloke....deffo legendary.

Best Manager in my time following City (which includes Alan Dicks). Not because of what he achieved results wise but he took over a club in intensive care with Doctors recommending the life support machine be switched off and turned us pretty quickly into something that was worth watching on a Saturday afternoon and that fans felt a part of.

This 100%, the man is a Legend.

Only a suit? Why not the shirt and tie that goes with it?

I've been to a few stadiums where areas of hospitality are named after their great players, I would really like to see something similar at Ashton Gate - we'll have enough such areas and it would be a nice touch from the club. 

If anyone deserves reconition, its Terry Cooper.

And if anyone at the top of the club understood it's history prior to THEM arriving at it they would ensure Terry Cooper gets recognition in some way. The argument that "he was paid to do a job so why should he be treated as something special" simply holds no water in this instance. Let's see if the custodians know their history - more chance of some rugby legend being honoured in the "interests" of Bristol Sport equality in my view.

And if anyone at the top of the club understood it's history prior to THEM arriving at it they would ensure Terry Cooper gets recognition in some way. The argument that "he was paid to do a job so why should he be treated as something special" simply holds no water in this instance. Let's see if the custodians know their history - more chance of some rugby legend being honoured in the "interests" of Bristol Sport equality in my view.

Couldn't agree more. At a time when this football club was at it's lowest ebb, Terry Cooper pulled it up by it's bootlaces and gave it some pride back.

Things like hiring a removal van to move Alan Walsh down from Darlington, painting fences etc at the ground, paying for fish suppers for the players on the way back from games, selling tickets for Wembley in the ticket office. All small things in the grand scheme, but not something I can imagine the manager doing at any Football League team nowadays.

To try to quantify his acheivements merely as one promotion from the 4th division and a wembley win, as one poster did on another forum, quite simply does the man no justice.

We're very good in this country at honouring people once they're no longer with us, I'd love City to buck that trend and honour TC while he's still around to see how much he means to so many supporters of this club.

TC to cut the ribbon on the Terry Cooper South or Grandstand? Would love to see that.

Archived