IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Good that Somerset are making it publicly known they're prepared to go all the way over this, clear message sent to the ECB. I'm starting to think more that we'll be told by the ECB they've decided its best that county cricket went back to 9 teams in each division. 

If the ECB had the audacity to give those points back to Middlesex wouldn't that open the floodgates to all other teams deducted points on the grounds that in hindsight they would all have played differently if they'd known what the outcome was going to be. Middlesex, irrespective of the crossbow incident had already "broken the rules". Wonder what their plan C will be?

5 hours ago, Midred said:

If the ECB had the audacity to give those points back to Middlesex wouldn't that open the floodgates to all other teams deducted points on the grounds that in hindsight they would all have played differently if they'd known what the outcome was going to be. Middlesex, irrespective of the crossbow incident had already "broken the rules". Wonder what their plan C will be?

Threaten to refuse to allow any England matches or finals at Lord`s until they are returned to their rightful place in the cricketing hierarchy.

Oh, and to exempt Middlesex from ever being relegated again in the future.

• Like 1

• Admin

Middlesex have failed in their appeal against a two-point deduction in the County Championship, confirming their relegation from Division One.

The punishment came for their slow over rate during August's match at Surrey, which was abandoned when a crossbow bolt was fired into The Oval.

Middlesex finished one point below Somerset, who were ready to take legal action if the appeal was successful.

Middlesex, county champions in 2016, will play in Division Two next season.

The Cricket Discipline Commission ruled that the matter did not need referring to a disciplinary panel hearing as "rules relating to over rates are clear and understood by all teams, coaches, players, and captains."

How did we get to this point?

Middlesex were deducted two points after the crossbow incident at The Oval denied them the chance to improve their over rate in the remainder of the final session of that match.

After the punishment was announced on 9 September, Middlesex chief executive Richard Goatley said there was "no scope" for an appeal, despite the fact he was "extremely disappointed" by the decision.

Middlesex went on to lose their final game of the season at Somerset, who leapfrogged the 2016 champions with victory at Taunton to seal their own survival.

A day after their relegation, managing director of cricket Angus Fraser told BBC Radio London they would raise the circumstances of the deduction with the ECB.

Middlesex confirmed they had "made submissions to the chairman of the CDC over the issue" last week.

The final decision

Cricket Discipline Commission chairman Tim O'Gorman said: "Middlesex have sought to argue that it was only because of the abandonment of the game that they did not make up their overs, but that cannot be entirely correct.

"There was no guarantee that, if the game had run its normal course, those overs could ever have been made up.

"I do not accept that Middlesex only agreed to the abandonment of the match on condition that their slow over rate in the first innings would be overlooked.

"It is not within the power or gift of either the umpires or the players to make deals like that.

"The match was abandoned for safety reasons. Play ended accordingly and the points earned or deducted should stand with effect from that time."

• Like 1

• Admin

Somerset County Cricket Club have welcomed the Cricket Discipline Commission’s decision to uphold Middlesex County Cricket Club’s two point deduction.

The Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) today announced that it had upheld the deduction from Middlesex CCC for a slow over rate in their Specsavers County Championship match against Surrey at the Kia Oval in August.

Following today’s decision Somerset CEO Lee Cooper said: “We were confident that the ECB’s original decision would stand and we are delighted with the outcome.

“We are pleased that this has now been put to rest and we can concentrate on preparing for next season in the First Division of the Specsavers County Championship.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the ECB for the swift resolution of this matter.”

Over-rate penalties are automatically applied in the First-Class game under Playing Condition 16.4 with no right of appeal. However, due to the exceptional circumstances surrounding this fixture, the ECB and Middlesex agreed to send submissions to the CDC Chairman, Tim O’Gorman, for his consideration. Having considered these submissions, he was satisfied that this was not a matter that should be referred to a Disciplinary Panel Hearing.

In reaching his decision, Mr O’Gorman said: “It is in the interests of the whole game that arrangements are put in place to prevent slow over rates, and it is noted that the requirement of 16 overs per hour is a minimum rate.

“The rules relating to over rates are clear and understood by all teams, coaches, players, and captains. Although it may be common practice that teams will seek to make up time later in a match, even in the second innings, if they seek to do this they must also be aware that approaching their over rate in such a way carries with it an inherent risk. If, for any reason, they are unable to make the time up, the appropriate sanction will be imposed. Middlesex have sought to argue that it was only because of the abandonment of the game that they did not make up their overs but that cannot be entirely correct. There was no guarantee that, if the game had run its normal course those overs could ever have been made up.

“I do not accept that Middlesex only agreed to the abandonment of the match on condition that their slow over rate in the first innings would be overlooked. It is not within the power or gift of either the umpires or the players to make deals like that. The match was abandoned for safety reasons. Play ended accordingly and the points earned or deducted should stand with effect from that time.”

Has anybody noticed the huge hike in membership prices for next year at Somerset? 

They've changed things a bit but the hard truth is my membership covering all games is going up over £50. With no weekend championship cricket after early June this year I barely went to any games. With many others in the same boat I think a lot won't bother next year.

http://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/club-news/2018-membership-sale-next-month/

• Admin
11 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Has anybody noticed the huge hike in membership prices for next year at Somerset? 

They've changed things a bit but the hard truth is my membership covering all games is going up over £50. With no weekend championship cricket after early June this year I barely went to any games. With many others in the same boat I think a lot won't bother next year.

http://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/club-news/2018-membership-sale-next-month/

Have been getting a joint one for the past few season, don'y think I will be bothering again with the increase in prices

Cooper is talking absolute BS when he says the ground wasn't full for T20's!!

• Admin

Our full 2018 T20 Blast fixtures are:

• Friday July 6th – Somerset v Gloucestershire
  • Sunday July 8th – Somerset v Kent Spitfires
  • Friday July 13th – Gloucestershire v Somerset
  • Thursday July 19th – Middlesex v Somerset
  • Friday July 20th – Glamorgan v Somerset
  • Friday July 27th – Surrey v Somerset
  • Sunday July 29th – Somerset v Middlesex
  • Wednesday August 1st – Somerset v Hampshire
  • Friday August 3rd – Somerset v Essex Eagles
  • Sunday August 5th – Sussex Sharks v Somerset
  • Wednesday August 8th – Hampshire v Somerset
  • Friday August 10th – Somerset v Surrey
  • Sunday August 12th – Somerset v Glamorgan
  • Thursday August 16th – Kent Spitfires v Somerset

The County Championship starts in April with Glos away  to Kent for the opening fixture.

A month later sees the start of the one day cup and nearly every county has been drawn against a neighbouring county.

Glos travel to Glamorgan but Somerset are away to...Surry.

I must say I despair at the thought of a 20/20 franchise competition.

I love 'proper' cricket and even appreciate 20/20 when it is Somerset.

India vs Pakistan just does not appeal to me, even with perhaps some of the best 20/20 players in the world, so there is no way I would go to Cardiff to watch a 'local' franchise team, even if this included a number of Somerset players.

Surely, I can't be the only one who thinks this way, so why do the relevant cricket bodies want to create this nonsensity?

• Like 2

On 1 December 2017 at 18:08, PHILINFRANCE said:

I must say I despair at the thought of a 20/20 franchise competition.

I love 'proper' cricket and even appreciate 20/20 when it is Somerset.

India vs Pakistan just does not appeal to me, even with perhaps some of the best 20/20 players in the world, so there is no way I would go to Cardiff to watch a 'local' franchise team, even if this included a number of Somerset players.

Surely, I can't be the only one who thinks this way, so why do the relevant cricket bodies want to create this nonsensity?

Agree mate.

Driven by the success of the IPL no doubt.

19 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Agree mate.

Driven by the success of the IPL no doubt.

Perhaps, but as its acronym confirms, the IPL is played in India where cricket is the main spectator sport and the fans are just that; fanatical.

You only have to watch the way the crowd, adults both male and female together with numerous young children, because it must be said Indian cricket certainly does attract a joyous family audience, all surge to get their faces on screen whenever a TV camera scans the crowd; the ubiquitous, hand-written and often inane messages written on scraps of cardboard and just the general, almost Carnival atmosphere at grounds throughout the country to understand why their IPL matches are so well-attended.

But, somehow, I don't foresee similar size crowds flocking to Cardiff on a cold, damp English summer evening to watch two teams with little or no local interest.

Oh Well. I am sure the ECB knows best.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps, but as its acronym confirms, the IPL is played in India where cricket is the main spectator sport and the fans are just that; fanatical.

You only have to watch the way the crowd, adults both male and female together with numerous young children, because it must be said Indian cricket certainly does attract a joyous family audience, all surge to get their faces on screen whenever a TV camera scans the crowd; the ubiquitous, hand-written and often inane messages written on scraps of cardboard and just the general, almost Carnival atmosphere at grounds throughout the country to understand why their IPL matches are so well-attended.

But, somehow, I don't foresee similar size crowds flocking to Cardiff on a cold, damp English summer evening to watch two teams with little or no local interest.

Oh Well. I am sure the ECB knows best.

WELSH summer evening. I'll grant you the cold and damp, though...

• Haha 1