IGNORED

Bristol City And Willem Links

JamesBCFC

As those who attended the last trip pointed out it was attended by oaps, and previous trips people have taken family.

I like the idea that has been mooted of having wider supporter groups involved and having tournaments for academy/trust/kids/local teams. Bristol Jfc's this year are visiting FC Venlo.

Friendlies and tours are always supported by small sections of fans. These sections of fans are still significant. There is clear and logical opportunity to increase engagement via more thoughtful planning of friendlies.

300 didn't go to Latvia, but you are right about the increased numbers going to Portugal.

so now that you have just established to us that this core group will go regardless of which country we go to, can we stop wanking over Willem and crying when there isn't a friendly against them?

Because something does not include your bull****, it does not mean it is imaginary.

DSC00142.jpg

El%20Rincorn.jpg

A45_zpsvbyphqxd.jpg]

TshirtII.jpg]

VakEEEEEE.jpg

you've missed my point totally, there is no link between the two clubs which someone claimed earlier in this thread, that IS imaginary. There is,  however,a small link between a minority of the two clubs fans

you've missed my point totally, there is no link between the two clubs which someone claimed earlier in this thread, that IS imaginary. There is, however,a small link between a minority of the two clubs fans

Your less than articulated point was not lost.

There is clearly a link between a significant number of fans of Bristol City FC and Willem II FC. These fans are part of their clubs unless you are suggesting that the notion of a "club" is an imaginary entity.

Your less than articulated point was not lost.

There is clearly a link between a significant number of fans of Bristol City FC and Willem II FC. These fans are part of their clubs unless you are suggesting that the notion of a "club" is an imaginary entity.

this "significant number" is by far a minority- I would wager that if a poll of all City fans worldwide was taken, less than half would know specifically about any links between the fan bases of the two clubs, and much less would be a part of that number itself.

Not sure if you are interpreting things wrong here, perhaps i could be clearer, but in terms of the actual playing side and things such as coaches, training, scouting, etc. between the two clubs  there is no link, that is what i was saying was imaginary. which is not what a post earlier in the thread suggested

this "significant number" is by far a minority- I would wager that if a poll of all City fans worldwide was taken, less than half would know specifically about any links between the fan bases of the two clubs, and much less would be a part of that number itself.

Not sure if you are interpreting things wrong here, perhaps i could be clearer, but in terms of the actual playing side and things such as coaches, training, scouting, etc. between the two clubs there is no link, that is what i was saying was imaginary. which is not what a post earlier in the thread suggested

I disagree, if you asked the simple question "are you aware supporters from Willem II and Bristol City have a link" I'm confident over 50% of City fans worldwide would answer yes.

Your posts include references to "we", "us" and "the club". There is nothing to misinterpret. Those references have to include fans, all of them minorities or not. If your view differs, you may want to re-examine what your notion of a FC is.

Back on topic.

Those fans who have paid for flights and accommodation in Portugal have been let down. Real clubs don't forget why they exist!

really not sure if you are this dense, or if you are putting some of it on, but I will clarify each one for you, although they are self explanatory when looked at in context with the posts that each on is replying to

if it was Ajax, feyenoord or PSV then that is one of the decent teams. With respect to Willem a lower-mid table/more recently a yo yo club between the Eredivise and Eerste Divisie is probably below what City will want. Also the fact we(the team) are in Portugal for the pre season training, not Holland, for whatever reason and Villa were due be there too is probably why we(the club) didn't give Willem a call and say "get your asses out to Portugal so we can play you(willem) in a meaningless game because a couple of our fans want it"

because clearly a training camp of some such would have been organised out there, it's foolish to think we(the playing staff) have gone out there just to have a friendly against Villa

logical so that a small section of fans from both clubs(the club as a whole) can get pissed together? Shit reason for a club(as a whole) to have a friendly with a specific club tbh

so now that you(the person I'm replying to) have just established to us(on the forum) that this core group will go regardless of which country we(the team, as in regardless of where the friendly is) go to, can we(never mind that this is a rhetoric question, it is referring to the forum as a whole, just as "we" [embarrassingly] were obsessed with swindon last season) stop wanking over Willem and crying when there isn't a friendly against them?

villa, the side we (the playing side, who else?) were supposed to play, would have been a much tougher test than willem

No, I (me) just don't buy into bullshit and people trying to force an imaginary link

right, I (me) forgot villas first team (Aston Villa's first choice players) only play 1 friendly every season

you've (the person i  am responding to) missed my (me) point totally, there is no link between the two clubs (away from the fans) which someone claimed earlier in this thread, that IS imaginary. There is,  however,a small link between a minority of the two clubs fans (do i really need to explain this?)

this "significant number" is by far a minority- I (me) would wager that if a poll of all City fans (fans of Bristol City Football Club) worldwide was taken, less than half would know specifically about any links between the fan bases of the two clubs,(Bristol City and Willem II) and much less would be a part of that number itself.

Not sure if you (you) are interpreting things wrong here, perhaps i (me) could be clearer, but in terms of the actual playing side and things such as coaches, training, scouting, etc. between the two clubs (bristol city and willem)  there is no link, that is what i (me) was saying was imaginary. which is not what a post earlier in the thread suggested

happy that i have clarified them all now?

• Admin

I disagree, if you asked the simple question "are you aware supporters from Willem II and Bristol City have a link" I'm confident over 50% of City fans worldwide would answer yes.

Agree with you on this, one thing for sure everyone on OTIB knows about it

Agree with you on this, one thing for sure everyone on OTIB knows about it

but as has been mentioned with many threads regarding the wider City community, OTIB is only a section of the fan base, and the only reason its so well known on here is because the same people regurgitate it year on year

but as has been mentioned with many threads regarding the wider City community, OTIB is only a section of the fan base, and the only reason its so well known on here is because the same people regurgitate it year on year

That will be because the numbers travelling over to Tilburg have increased year on year.

• Admin

Maybe, but people ARE aware which was the point raised

I have never been to Holland to watch Willeim but I have met the Dutch lads on more than one ocassion in Bristol on a Friday night and on match day. 

Unless you have you head buried in the sands everyone must know the fans links , there are Willeim flags on show at Ashton Gate.

It as also been pointed out that the fans are the club so if there is links between to sets of fans therfore there is a link between the two clubs.  I dont understand why a tiny few people are getting upset about fans trying to forge links between fans of different clubs in different country.

I agree that the number of City fans who are actively involved in the link is small, but what's wrong with that? At least we have a friendly link with another club and with just a bit of encouragement from the City it could develop. With the price and frequency of flights this would be an easy away friendly for both sets of fans.

Whilst I understand the argument that the connection is between fans and not the two clubs. I cannot understand why the club would not try and turn it into a positive thing. Willem are after all, in the Eredivisie... many a top player has graced that league before going on to be one of the worlds best (the latest probably being Suarez), good ties could lead to potential loan signing or even simply doing a Liverpool and Borussia Monchengladbach with the clubs using the fans links for nothing other than good PR. 

I honestly can't see any harm in at least giving it go, even if it is for one season.

I agree that the number of City fans who are actively involved in the link is small, but what's wrong with that? At least we have a friendly link with another club and with just a bit of encouragement from the City it could develop. With the price and frequency of flights this would be an easy away friendly for both sets of fans.

I think that's the point. Flights being cheap for fans should not even come into the equation when selecting preseason training, friendlies etc.

of course there is a "link" and of course most people will at least be aware of it, however it's also certain that it is only a very tiny minority who are involved in that.

It's not a sound basis for an official link between the two clubs.

Indeed, if it was to be made official, it would probably be exactly those people currently involved that would complain about the sanitisation and corporate emphasis that it would lead to and it would lose most of what they currently enjoy about it.

Its got to be worth developing. Every other team mentioned on OTIB produces streams of hatred. :gaah:

you are probably right, and i may be wrong about more than half not knowing about it, the key point though is that its only a very small amount that care

This is almost certainly the case. I would very much doubt if anything more than 1% of the supporters on our club database have have been actively involved in visiting Tilburg, own a Willem 2 shirt or could even point to it on a map.

so now that you have just established to us that this core group will go regardless of which country we go to, can we stop wanking over Willem and crying when there isn't a friendly against them?

1) Cowshed (no offence) is not the final word in establishing to us how fans behave.

2) Nothing in Cowshed's post said anything about a core group. If anything Cowshed talks about 'sections' of fans. If you're going to make an assumption based upon what Cowshed says logic determines it would be the complete opposite of a core group, but rather a fractured group which changes, particularly the reference to some OAPs some Families and some on the lash.

3) I've never *ahem* over Willem.... knocked out plenty to Williem II mind.

4) No crying here, merely disbelief that the club wouldn't take the opportunity to forge through close links for both footballing and commercial reasons.

1) Cowshed (no offence) is not the final word in establishing to us how fans behave.

2) Nothing in Cowshed's post said anything about a core group. If anything Cowshed talks about 'sections' of fans. If you're going to make an assumption based upon what Cowshed says logic determines it would be the complete opposite of a core group, but rather a fractured group which changes, particularly the reference to some OAPs some Families and some on the lash.

3) I've never *ahem* over Willem.... knocked out plenty to Williem II mind.

4) No crying here, merely disbelief that the club wouldn't take the opportunity to forge through close links for both footballing and commercial reasons.

1. True

2. I want meaning the whole lot of that 300 to be the core, much like we averaged crowds of 12-13000 last season, but the core of that group, i.e the ones who go most, if not all weeks is a smaller amount, same as when we have away games there is usually a group of people that manage the majority of them.

3. at least you arent in denial ;)

4. honestly, would you be as supportive if the club tried to form links with a team that was a low-mid table club in the Portuguese top division before becoming a yo yo side as you would if it was Willem II?

you are probably right, and i may be wrong about more than half not knowing about it, the key point though is that its only a very small amount that care

Why have you got a major problem with this.

We have got a link with Willem, you don't like it and don't seem to be able to accept it.

The question I will ask is why?

This is almost certainly the case. I would very much doubt if anything more than 1% of the supporters on our club database have have been actively involved in visiting Tilburg, own a Willem 2 shirt or could even point to it on a map.

Which would be a far higher proportion of support than those actively involved in the Fans Advisory Network, which you take part in.

Does this mean the Fans Advisory Network should be looked upon as irrelevant?

Archived