IGNORED

Promoted Too Soon ?

Major Isewater

Sorry couldnt disagree with you more. No such thing as being promoted to early.

The simple fact of the matter is last season, we were a bigger fish in a small pond. The cream players of League One, wanted to leave the smaller clubs, and come to us. Now, we find ourselves very much as small fry.....and we certainly cannot compete for the cream of the crop. This isnt going to change in the foreseeable future, regardless of the Ashyton Gate development or not.

We need to start spending some money. Simple as that. If we start the season with a small squad, and we get off to a slow start....we will be even less appealing. We have to recruit at least by the start of the season.

I have it on good authority that all is not rosey in the Ashton Gate garden, and that Lansdown is trying to work it all on a bit of shoe string budget.

I appreciate he doesnt want to make the same mistakes as last time, however he has to loosen the purse strings eventually and trust Cotterill wih a bit of cash.

That's completely different to what I've been told!

There is a difference with not wasting money to not having any money....

According to some rival managers in League 1 last season City "bought the league", "cherry picked all the best players" at that level because of the "resources" available.

City still have "resources" plus a bigger TV income and I don't see us having a financial problem next season.

Every season in league one is a season languishing in the doldrums.

It is only fair that the new south stand's debut season is in the championship, and not in a division including the likes of Swindon.

We'll be absolutely fine this year, and ready to push on again next season with the stadium complete.

That's completely different to what I've been told!

There is a difference with not wasting money to not having any money....

Im not saying we dont have money, or funds available to spend.

What I am saying is, at League 1...we were an attractive propostion for your Luke Freemans, Luke Aylings etc. 

Now, if we want to compete for good, establised Championship players....we are not so attractive.  To make it more attractive, we may have to spend a bit more cash.

From what ive heard, players have been identified, but the funds for those players were not quite there, meaning we lost out.  I understand we have a wage structure in place.....and am glad we have, but...its now 20th July, we have a 16 man squad, and we have no new signings. 

Something isnt right somewhere

What I am saying is, at League 1...we were an attractive propostion for your Luke Freemans, Luke Aylings etc.

Now, if we want to compete for good, establised Championship players....we are not so attractive. To make it more attractive, we may have to spend a bit more cash.

From what ive heard, players have been identified, but the funds for those players were not quite there, emaning we lost out

So what's your definition of Shoestring?

Now, if we want to compete for good, establised Championship players....we are not so attractive.  To make it more attractive, we may have to spend a bit more cash.

From what ive heard, players have been identified, but the funds for those players were not quite there, emaning we lost out

The simple answer is to still target the next batch of league 1 players, who will be good enough to step up, and still see us as the 'big fish'.

So what's your definition of Shoestring?

I dont know what the exact budget is.  All I was told was "Cotterill is frustrated because players were identified early on however Lansdown is trying to do it on a shoe string". 

As I said, I dont know what our exact budget is, but the fact we are less then 3 weeks away from the season opener.....and we havent signed anyone, is rather concerning.  Unless we have had a torrid run of luck in the transfer window, then there must be a reason why we cannot attract anyone

I dont know what the exact budget is. All I was told was "Cotterill is frustrated because players were identified early on however Lansdown is trying to do it on a shoe string".

As I said, I dont know what our exact budget is, but the fact we are less then 3 weeks away from the season opener.....and we havent signed anyone, is rather concerning. Unless we have had a torrid run of luck in the transfer window, then there must be a reason why we cannot attract anyone

You can also call that trying to live within our means and not over paying for players

I remember quite a few people before the play off final against Hull (and lots of people just after it!) saying that getting into the Premier League then would have been too early.  I don't doubt that we would have struggled and have come straight back down, but we would have had that experience and the cash.  As it turned out we didn't exactly set the Championship on fire after losing that play off final and it wasn't long before we were back in League One.

It is never too early to be promoted, you take promotion whenever you can get it or else you will never end up moving forwards.

From what ive heard, players have been identified, but the funds for those players were not quite there, meaning we lost out.  I understand we have a wage structure in place.....and am glad we have, but...its now 20th July, we have a 16 man squad, and we have no new signings. 

Something isnt right somewhere

What, 'good established Championship players' that other Championship clubs are willing to let go?

In the main expecting high end Championship wages?

Not a good idea imo. As reddogkev says we have a proven strategy of signing the outstanding young improvers from L1 and we need to concentrate on the next batch of outstanding talent from the lower leagues, along with a couple of older heads.

We don't expect the last lot - Freeman, Ayling etc. - to have any problem stepping up to the next level. The club would always be taking a chance with the next batch, as they did with the previous ones - but this is exactly where Cotts./Burt earn their corn in having to continue to prove their ability to identify young players, and save the club alot of money at the same time.

There's no particular kudos in identifying 4 or 5 'proven Championship players' on high wages; it's also very likely a road to disturbing dressing room harmony and a recipe for on pitch mediocrity too.

Let's keep a young, vibrant, hungry, reasonably waged squad including a conveyer belt of talent from lower clubs bursting for their opportunity to dislodge our favourites and get on that pitch and prove themselves capable of representing BCFC in the Championship.

We do need to get a couple of experienced Championship players, both to replace Wade and help out the younger players, apart from that we need to hold our nerve and keep to the policy that has served us so well.

According to some rival managers in League 1 last season City "bought the league", "cherry picked all the best players" at that level because of the "resources"

available.

City still have "resources" plus a bigger TV income and I don't see us having a financial problem next season.

According to SC we made a profit on players bought/ sold last season, so the other league one clubs are just bitching when it comes to resources, bearing in mind some of those clubs have previously been in the Prem and that's money we've never had.

The thing that won it for us last year was the team spirit and positive approach, with the addition of the right players at the right time. So far it seems getting those right players again this season is taking its time. But after what SL had done for the club over the years and SC did last year, surely we owe them a bit of time and faith?

I get the point behind the post but the extra 3Million or so TV money more than makes up for having no Wlliams so on the stadium front we are better off in the championship with 16k than probably being in L1 with 27k.

I'm not ITK enough to speculate on the lack of signings.

Archived