IGNORED

Greg Cunningham - Pne (Merged)

pnefcok

Hello - Preston fan here.

There have been strong rumours from our end today that your left back, Greg Cunningham, will be signing for us very shortly.

Firstly, just wondering whether you see this as likely or not?

Secondly, if it were to happen, would he be a decent signing for us?

Both our left backs, Laird and Buchanan, left the club after the 4-0 thrashing of Swindon at Wembley, so we are pretty desperate for one. We often play 3-5-2 away from home as well, so is he capable of playing wing back? Or on the left side of the back 3?

Cheers.

Enjoy the season.

Started very strongly for us until he got an injury and since then he has struggled to be as good, not helped by our homegrown Joe Bryan stepping up to the plate and proving to be a real success. Would be disappointed if he left as he's a solid left sided player; left back or wing back as he does like to get forward.

He was our best player the last time we were in the championship, and was decent player in a very poor league 1 side following our relegation. If it wasn't for our very own Joe Bryan pushing him out of the side there would be no doubts about him being capable for this season in the championship. Can't see us selling though as our squad is so small. If you do sign him you've got a very good defender on your hands.

To be honest, he is probably the best player that can't get into our first 11 now, and one of the best players to have been outside the team sheet in all the time I've watched City

I'm not surprised he's been linked elsewhere, could easily make a championship team and is still young

I'd be surprised if we were selling ourselves short, would expect any deal to hinge on bringing someone in though

If he went without a replacement coming in, it would be odd, as we're not bursting at the seams, but I for one would be sad if he did.

One of the few in the squad with significant Championship experience, and considering he started last season in the first eleven and played a good number of game, who is to say he might not win back the shirt here if Bryan took some time to settle in Championship football.

Would be our boldest move yet were we to sell him before securing a replacement, but SC has been bold before, so who knows!

He was our best player the last time we were in the championship, and was decent player in a very poor league 1 side following our relegation. If it wasn't for our very own Joe Bryan pushing him out of the side there would be no doubts about him being capable for this season in the championship. Can't see us selling though as our squad is so small. If you do sign him you've got a very good defender on your hands.

Really?? I know we were shite but that's a bit of a claim.

He's never been the same since his nasty injury picked up at Peterborough when Little clattered him.

I could definitely see him going but not imminently when we have such a wafer thin squad as it is.

Then again he's good cover, seems to be enjoying it here so why would we sell?? What happens if JB gets injured??

Then again he's good cover, seems to be enjoying it here so why would we sell?? What happens if JB gets injured??

The thing for me is that Bryan clearly is a player who'll go far, but this is his first season as a full time first teamer in the Championship; he might take time to settle, and having someone as reliable and experienced as Cunningham seems not only sensible in that situation, but also positive in that it keeps Bryan on his toes performance-wise.

I also think selling to Preston would be an odd choice, as they are pretty much a direct rival, in that I see us both looking to establish ourselves this year.

But then if we get in someone impressive to replace him, I guess it could be good business, so who knows!

Thank you for all the replies, very encouraging comments if it does turn out to be true.

I do think it seems plausible, given that your Bryan is such a good player, maybe Cunningham just wants to play regularly?

As for the tongue in cheek comment about a swap for Garner, thanks but no thanks! :) Same goes for Beckford!

Thank you for all the replies, very encouraging comments if it does turn out to be true.

I do think it seems plausible, given that your Bryan is such a good player, maybe Cunningham just wants to play regularly?

As for the tongue in cheek comment about a swap for Garner, thanks but no thanks! :) Same goes for Beckford!

Thats ok....we dont want him.

If GC leaves, I'd hope we get a half decent fee.

I know he's only 17, but Levi Ives is a left back and already has first team experience at Torquay. Perhaps SC thinks he can provide decent enough cover, despite his age.

Really?? I know we were shite but that's a bit of a claim.

Hardly, we had about 5 or 6 players who had a relatively good season when the rest of the squad were awful. Him Heaton, Adomah, Stead, Davies and Baldock were about the only ones which stood out. Cunningham stood out in particular seeing as we had to watch the likes of McGivern, an ageing McAllister and a make shift of Nyatanga and Fonts at left back for years.

If GC leaves, I'd hope we get a half decent fee.

I know he's only 17, but Levi Ives is a left back and already has first team experience at Torquay. Perhaps SC thinks he can provide decent enough cover, despite his age.

Very good point, some very positive stuff about him in the papers recently.

Gc only has 1 yr left on contract so wouldnt surprise me if we cashed in. Welcome to the new ruthless bcfc.

I can see why gc mught want the move, he needs to play, but we are desparately short of numbers. If we sell, unless it was a very big fee which is unlikely, then we must be mad.

With Bryan's fitness levels he could play pretty much every league game this season plus a cup game or two, however having a decent standby wouldn't go a miss. If he gets injured then it would be a concern if we only had a 17 year old as cover if that proves to be the case.

There is always the loan market but you can't guarantee who will be available.

He'll be a very good and probably very astute signing. Wouldn't begrudge him a move as he deserves games but unfortunately for him he won't get them here.

If he was going I'd be sad to see us not get near enough half a million even if he has one year left on his deal.

Hardly, we had about 5 or 6 players who had a relatively good season when the rest of the squad were awful. Him Heaton, Adomah, Stead, Davies and Baldock were about the only ones which stood out. Cunningham stood out in particular seeing as we had to watch the likes of McGivern, an ageing McAllister and a make shift of Nyatanga and Fonts at left back for years.

So he was our best player because of what preceeded him? That's a pretty nonsensical argument.

Archived