IGNORED

Communication

John Galley

I disagree there, I thought there were occasions he'd reply in a slightly tetchy way that was unnecessary.

Whilst he obviously had a challenging task, I thought there were occasions where he didn't respond in the best way he could.

He was useful though and we miss that direct querying facility' with the club - maybe someone else could step in?

DL is still available by e mail, or at least he was last season.

I agree that some of his responses were lacking perhaps some understanding of the reasons behind the questions.

His response to the number of seats in the lower Dolman with obstructed views, along the lines of 8 seats out of 7,000+, as if that was OK, which it clearly isn't, is perhaps typical of BS management who leave a lot to be desired as far as I am concerned.

DL is still available by e mail, or at least he was last season.

I agree that some of his responses were lacking perhaps some understanding of the reasons behind the questions.

His response to the number of seats in the lower Dolman with obstructed views, along the lines of 8 seats out of 7,000+, as if that was OK, which it clearly isn't, is perhaps typical of BS management who leave a lot to be desired as far as I am concerned.

Dave L has been contacted this week regarding the Dolman, and last month.

A limitation of e mails is that individuals on Otib will cast apserions on the content of e mails they were not privy to, and that answers can be taken out of context. It is not particularly a straightforward means of asking questions on behalf of groups of fans.

E mails are a very limited medium in this age.

Personally Spud, I think there probably just isn't enough true demand for that sort of thing.

I don't doubt your genuine interest in that side of ops but for the average football fan I think it's less to do with the actual content of comms and just an impatience that there are regular comms of any description and/or quality.

Like you I would be interested if such a video was published, but I think the lower hanging fruit are things like the player's quizzes and I can appreciate why a media department of a football club - I can only assume how busy they are, but I imagine it's v tough - would pursue that rather than something of substance.

Yes...I agree to some degree fella, but the only way to encourage more interest in the Club, is to be pro active and make the Club attractive.

If City want to become a 'Brand' then they have to move with the times.

And communication with fans is imperative. And they need to cater for all tastes.

Media should have different aspects to it's departments.

Dealing with outside media is one thing....dealing with updating the Clubs websites is another.

Look at the Academy website and the last time anything worth reading was on their. Not even a mention of Wade being made U21's manager. 

Only job vacancies posted in June.

Not a good look for any prospective player looking to come here either.

The main club website still has all last years squad as being here. It's basic stuff.

Dave L has been contacted this week regarding the Dolman, and last month.

A limitation of e mails is that individuals on Otib will cast apserions on the content of e mails they were not privy to, and that answers can be taken out of context. It is not particularly a straightforward means of asking questions on behalf of groups of fans.

E mails are a very limited medium in this age.

If people choose to print e mails they have sent and received that's up to them.

As for speaking for a group of fans, who has been elected to do that?

No communication is far, far worse than people reading things into statements that aren't true.

If people choose to print e mails they have sent and received that's up to them.

As for speaking for a group of fans, who has been elected to do that?

No communication is far, far worse than people reading things into statements that aren't true.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/169871-red-walls-merged/

A group of fans did the above. It was achieved by e mail, however more could have been achieved by being open. Far more could have been achieved.

There is much to be gained by being open, and less chance of ambiguity etc.

That's just looking at transfers though. There's much more to the club than just that.

Though anything though they'd only be able to publish what they're told. Not exactly the media depts fault if they aren't given info from relevant sources to put on the website, baring in mind pretty much everyone that works there has just spent 2 weeks in another country!

Agree - bit of fresh impetus needed.

On a side note; Adam B knows this club like the back of his hand and is well liked by supporters, I've always been pretty impressed with how he responds to queries etc. could he be an option to answer supporter questions and relaying info on here maybe?

Very much so .

Though anything though they'd only be able to publish what they're told. Not exactly the media depts fault if they aren't given info from relevant sources to put on the website, baring in mind pretty much everyone that works there has just spent 2 weeks in another country!

I believe there's 3 full time members and one of which wasn't in Portugal.

I would have really liked to see a dedicated chat with Tinnion/Carlos Anton/Keith Burt if that was possible whilst the others were in Portugal. Shouldn't be too difficult to do and would be very interesting.

Other clubs have weekly/monthly physio updates. What's stopping the media team seeing if our physio would be open to this? Effectively these people are club journalists. What does a journalist do if they don't go seeking the story?!

Or just deeper "getting to know you" type interviews with management/backroom staff? Sheffield Wednesday have done this with their new manager... http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/carlos-carvalhal-life-before-wednesday-2572457.aspx

Other clubs have weekly/monthly physio updates. What's stopping the media team seeing if our physio would be open to this? Effectively these people are club journalists. What does a journalist do if they don't go seeking the story?!

Or just deeper "getting to know you" type interviews with management/backroom staff? Sheffield Wednesday have done this with their new manager... http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/carlos-carvalhal-life-before-wednesday-2572457.aspx

Exactly; detail is key.

That SO'D podcast - the bit I remember was that he likes to play candy crush and drinks thatchers gold! That was great journalism and wasn't even commissioned by the club.

Hasn't really got anything to do with the 'culture' of the club. The media team have nothing to do with the ticketing side in general.

It has got everything to do with the culture of the club.  If you are an organisation which is open, communicates well, embraces its customers and seeks great customer feedback you will be far higher regarded than one which treats its, in this case fairly captive, customers with a certain amount of disdain.  I am aware the media team have little to do with ticketing, but as the ticketing involves communicating with fans you would think they would be!

As far I can tell, the non construction off field activities of the club remain fairly amateurish.

And as regards the OP, yes communication should be better, but I wouldn't expect anything to be said about the players we are seeking. 

Or just deeper "getting to know you" type interviews with management/backroom staff? Sheffield Wednesday have done this with their new manager... http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/carlos-carvalhal-life-before-wednesday-2572457.aspx

I could be way wrong but I don't think of the media team as akin to journalists, but part of the commercial team. I imagine they are involved in so many different aspects of the club, even down to individual player sponsorships for example, that fan-focused comms of a type discussed here - and even website updates - are just one small part of their remit.

I would have liked a proper interview about Kodjia, there hasn't been one yet, just a brief comment after the game the other day.

I would also like an proper interview with KB/SC - there hasn't been one yet when there was last season. KB would be more interesting probably, about vision going forward.

It's all well and good the media team making a 25 minute long "countdown" video, but there's a lack of meaningful content this season.

Also, a minor point, compare the graphics of the Kodjia signing to the one Watford made the other day. Looks so much better.

The media team can do a really good job here, their "fun" content is good. What would be useful is some more meaningful stuff.

52562047dc8b4064a10e6966897ca07e.jpga6867374013f0c6cbba0998ab2a62a8d.jpg

I did find it strange how Kodjia was pictured in a meadow!

I could be way wrong but I don't think of the media team as akin to journalists, but part of the commercial team. I imagine they are involved in so many different aspects of the club, even down to individual player sponsorships for example, that fan-focused comms of a type discussed here - and even website updates - are just one small part of their remit.

Sounds bizarre to me when Bristol Sport has a team of commercial people. Incidentally Adam Baker uses the word journalism on his LinkedIn as a skill, interest and speciality. 

Agree - bit of fresh impetus needed.

On a side note; Adam B knows this club like the back of his hand and is well liked by supporters, I've always been pretty impressed with how he responds to queries etc. could he be an option to answer supporter questions and relaying info on here maybe?

I raised a query with David Lloyd a couple of days ago as follows.

"The Under 21 and Academy information/player data, on the Club web site has always appeared to me, as in need of updating.

Those who have left the club, still appear and arrivals are not mentioned.

As a Club that will need to rely on producing first team squad members and selling on to higher placed clubs, this data is deserving of a higher priority than it currently gets."

The response from Adam Baker is that they update this info once a year at the start of each season and that he has now done this.

So any new signings like Levi Ives will not appear until start of next season?

I have just looked at the first team squad on the club site and included are Matt Smith, Tavernier, Savage, Cunningham, Richards.

No mention of Kodjia!

Surely this should be up to date at all times? Not just once a year. What takes up all their time if that squad gets updated only once a year?

"The Under 21 and Academy information/player data, on the Club web site has always appeared to me, as in need of updating.

As a Club that will need to rely on producing first team squad members and selling on to higher placed clubs, this data is deserving of a higher priority than it currently gets."

The response from Adam Baker is that they update this info once a year at the start of each season and that he has now done this.

I have just looked at the first team squad on the club site and included are Matt Smith, Tavernier, Savage, Cunningham, Richards.

No mention of Kodjia!

Surely this should be up to date at all times? Not just once a year. What takes up all their time if that squad gets updated only once a year?

Once a year....WTF!!!!

They think that's acceptable? I'm astonished...I really am.

We are a multi million pound business, that is meant to be taken seriously. No wonder we struggle is all aspects.

No mention of Kodjia!

The Academy's own website is also much of a mess in terms of updates...

http://www.bristolcityacademy.co.uk/under-21s/profiles/

Once a year....WTF!!!!

They think that's acceptable? I'm astonished...I really am.

We are a multi million pound business, that is meant to be taken seriously. No wonder we struggle is all aspects.

Think AB was referring to this page: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/team/academy/ - does seem bizarre that we don't update as appropriate and it gets a once-a-year review. 

No problems, the point stands though, while everything can be improved just compare us to the other "pro" club in Bristol who get lied to on a daily basis,

We shouldn't use them as a benchmark. Whilst something that's relatively cheap to do can be improved - we should strive to be as good as we can be.

Looking to clubs like WBA or Southampton is exactly what we should be doing, not looking to our far inferior neighbours.

If we want to adopt that attitude - why stop there! Hey let's not bother with an academy because rovers don't! At least we're still better! Why not scrap the team bus! Rovers don't need theirs!

We should strive to be the best we can be in all aspects, media could be improved - it's easy to do - why not make it as good as possible?

Archived