IGNORED

New Signings, New Formation?

AdenFlintIsHavingAParty

With Moore and Baker signing I can see Cotterill changing the formation to a much more defensive minded one. In my opinion the best team, involving our best players would be this:

4-2-3-1

Keeper - Hamer

Has had a bit of a dodgy start, but clearly a very decent keeper. Some people prefer Fielding, but, while he's injured at least, I'd give Hamer a chance. 

Right Back - Moore

Apparently can play right back and is clearly a very solid player (England U21's) so could slot into Right Back if we were to change formation. 

Centre Backs - Flint and Baker

Two towering centre backs (6ft 5 and 6ft 4), one right footed, one left so can play the ball out with their stronger foot, without having to switch the ball to their strong foot, not the fastest, but with two fast players who can play centre back beside them to cover, it could work well. 

Left Back - Williams

In my opinion gets caught going forwards too much, especially in the Championship, and isn't as comfortable in defence. Probably better at Left Back imo. 

Holding Midfielders - Smith and Ayling

Could cause controversy this. In my opinion Ayling again, takes too much freedom when playing 3 at the back, which is good because he is good on the ball and at going forwards but, at centre back with 3 at the back it isn't a very good idea, which is why I think he could do very well in a Smith role, getting the ball and travelling forwards with it. Smith is obviously a no-brainier. 

Left Midfield - Bryan

Considering the fact Joe clearly doesn't enjoy his defensive duties as much as his attacking ones, the fact he tends to get worn out in the second half because of running up and down the wing non-stop for 90 minutes (don't blame him btw) and has an eye for goal, playing further forward could improve his game EVEN more. 

'Number 10' - Freeman

Arguably our best player last year, and given how well Bobby Reid has played during Luke's ban, he will have more of a point to prove. Apart from that an obvious choice. 

Right Midfield - Agard

Yep, Agard. Although he is clearly very good in front of goal and might prefer playing up front, but he did score 21 goals for Rotherham 2 years ago playing on the right and striker so...

Striker - Kodjia

Although he would probably play better with a strike partner, I think he could be better on his own. When I've watched him off the ball in the 3 games at Ashton Gate this season I've hardly seen him stop. Kodjia does seem like he is a striker who works best from knock downs, which could be one of the only flaws of this 'new look' team, but don't forget how good of a leap our Joe has...

No change to formation, just a change of line up in certain positions!

I know, just an idea. Cotts has started (ALMOST?) every game since last season in 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 so can't see him changing it, just thought it could work better. The only changes I can see being made is Baker coming in for Williams and Moore coming on for Ayling, or maybe Pack, with Ayling pushed into CM. But imo this could work better, even though it is very unlikely to happen. 

As others have eluded to, I think cotts sees ayling and williams as being too weak at CB in a back three to deal with championship strikers. Moore and baker likely to replace them to provide better cover in defence. Ayling will likely conpete for the CB, CM, and RWB role as he is versatile. Williams likely to play second fiddle to baker in LCB role.

Would see the change make us stronger in defence meaning we are less suseptible to the counter from ayling/williams going walkies.

One thing is for sure on these signings, is that Bryan will be in midfield and Williams to Left Back. I think Joe is much better going forward anyway. 

I'm not sure where Ayling will fit in? Possibly midfield but would surprise me a little.

Either way I think the international break has come in a good time, these two weeks gives SC and the players to get used to the new formation, the centre halves fit in etc. 

I would stick with 3-5-2 as it has served us well. I wonder if Ayling may move to right wing back, especially with Little not fit yet. I could see Ayling doing well there with his pace and ability on the ball. Moore to come in on the right of the back three. Baker v Williams for left of the back three. Thought Pack played well v Burnley so I wouldn't change centre midfield. 

Why on earth do people think Ayling will play midfield, how many times has Cotts played him there?

As he has played midfield in the past for Yeovil. We now have players that could potentially play his current role better and he could potentially play Pack's position better.

He might not play Packs' role better of course, and Cotts probably won't put him in DCM but it's an experiment I'd be interested to see. 

I don't think its out of the question to talk about it just because Cotts hasn't tried him there yet. You'd probably have said the same thing about Wes Burns being played as RWB before this season. 

Hamer

Moore--Flint--Baker

Ayling---------------------Bryan

Pack-Smith

Freeman-Reid

Kodjia

People might say it won't work, but this was how we played when ever JET was on the pitch and it worked well. Think Kodjia would thrive from Reid and Freeman feeding through balls in behind.

Would say you're pretty much spot on except I expect us to play 2 up top, so Kodjia paired with Wilbs or Agard. Wouldn't surprise me at all for Ayling to be tried at RWB considering how much he likes to go forward with the ball and has experience as a RB.

I am quite sure that these signings open up possibilities and cover across the back 5. Ayling covering Little on the right, Williams Bryan on the left (even if wing back is not what either would classically be , more conventional full back in a back 4) . It gives SC 7 players to fill 5 places, which is what he needed. All of the current back 3 have been caught out this season , Flint against Burnley in case people forget. These 2 players are great signings, and improve the first team no end. We have to start getting clean sheets asap, as we know that in this league you can soon be in a relegation battle. Not convinced by Hamer yet mind. I do not think we will change formation, not one bit, and Ayling is not going into midfield. El And will leave on loan once the window opens. I assume we will still be trying to sign a striker and a midfield player on loan ourselves. I rather guess we should have kept JET with the current transfer market. 

I concur BW...great signings that provide competition across the back.

It may have missed peoples attention, but Moore played LCB at Leicester as well.

I'm not sure we have adequate cover for Little with Ayling as some people have suggested. Little looked far from fit against Burnley.

As for Baker...I see him as competition for Flint as well.

It's not often I get too excited about defensive signings, but if Moore & Baker play to the level that we know they can, and Flint keeps his incredible form up then that is a serious back 3. Some big, tough boys there

Agree with Spud, Baker will also be direct competition for Flint, which could be an absolute master stroke by the gaffer

In my opinion we stay 3-5-2 and go......

GK: Hamer - Fielding when fit

RWB: Ayling

LWB: Bryan

RCB: Moore

CB: Flint

LCB: Baker

CM: Pack

CM: Smith

CM: Freeman

S: Kodjia

S: Wilbraham

this is exactly what SC will do imo. Maybe Wilbs out if we get a decent loan striker. 

Hamer

Moore--Flint--Baker

Ayling---------------------Bryan

Pack-Smith

Freeman-Reid

Kodjia

People might say it won't work, but this was how we played when ever JET was on the pitch and it worked well. Think Kodjia would thrive from Reid and Freeman feeding through balls in behind.

would love to see this. Wilbs needs to be dropped IMO. Harsh, but he just doesn't look like scoring in open play to me and I think the old codger could really benefit from two AM's behind him. 

Reid has to continue playing, could be a real confidence crusher to go from man of the match and the main guy in form straight to the bench. 

I really hope we are looking for a Midfielder to compete with Pack and Smith. I think we are missing what Wade offered when at his best.

We are obviously still looking for another striker as well.

Apart from that, I think we have quiet a flexible squad now.

GK's......  Fielding, Hamer (loan)

Defenders......  Ayling, Flint, Williams, Baker (loan), Moore ( loan til Jan ), El Abd

Wing backs....... Little ( Ayling and Burns could cover at a push ), Bryan ( Robinson can cover )

Defensive Midfield........  Pack, Smith

Offensive Midfield.......  Freeman, Reid, Waggy

Strikers.......  Wilbs, Codger, Agard, Robinson (loan), Burns.

Don't think I've missed anyone.... Damn this BLT sarnie is good...nom nom...

People were moaning that we should be concentrating on recruiting for defence rather than a striker. Definite masterstroke there. Hopefully we will start to claim a few clean sheets and similarly at the other end, hopefully we can start to finish the numerous chances we create

Will help if Luke can come back and show the form from last season.

Kevin Nolan could do a Wade type role. People that know him tell me is an outstanding pro, and very much in the Wade mould. Sets a great example. 

Would love Nolan here on a short contract with option to extend like Wilbs.

Just the type of player we need. Leads by example and has a bit of bite as well as ability. We are definitely lacking that in midfield.

I should imagine one of the bigger Clubs would be in for him though...I see Hull have been linked.

This is my preferred starting 11 - Ayling IMO is too good just to sit on the bench, and provides us with a lot of attacking intent. His ability and composure on the ball is second to none in our line up - so I'd put him next to korey in the middle. Having our new prem CB either side of Flint should sure up our defensive frailties evident in the burnley game. I'd drop wilbs to the bench and put the kod up top with agard and freeman just in behind. 

image.jpg

Archived