IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think wilder will obviously have to give it the talk but I'm not sure he really wants a massive fight,he's happy enough just rolling over bums

Exactly mate, the masses of voluntary defences he's had have been a joke. Don't rate the guy at all, he doesn't even punch properly! He's just athletic and gobby, Chisora or Whyte would do him in easily imo.

Murray Rosado  tonight could be a straight up war...

• Like 1

A Matchroom Special again. In any other sport there would be police and authorites all over it and people following the money, but as it's boxing it just gets ignored. It's nearly every show now, at least one ridiculous card to the home fighter. 119-109 ffs. It was a fairly close fight and some clown gives 11 rounds to Murray.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Some disgraceful scoring there tonight. No good for the sport.

Shocking that a so called expert can be that far off the mark and it isn't a one off, it happened last week and pretty much every televised card!

They really should do something about it, it's farcical

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Big fight coming Saturday. Who's people's money on. 

Intriguing fight imo.

People are writing Wlad off too easily, i think he will fight much better than he did against Fury and if he takes AJ past 8 rounds who knows what might happen.

I hope Wlad puts up a fight and tests AJ so we can see just how good AJ is.

Ultimately i want AJ to win, the guy is a class act.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yardy said:

Intriguing fight imo.

People are writing Wlad off too easily, i think he will fight much better than he did against Fury and if he takes AJ past 8 rounds who knows what might happen.

I hope Wlad puts up a fight and tests AJ so we can see just how good AJ is.

Ultimately i want AJ to win, the guy is a class act.

I was reading peter furys take on it . He's undecided on the winner. Looking forward to this fight. Interesting 

15 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Big fight coming Saturday. Who's people's money on. 

You can make a good case for any possible outcome. When the fight was first announced I felt confident AJ would win but the closer it gets the more I waver!

There's no doubt that- despite the footage coming out of Austria of Wlad slipping punches and dancing around the ring- Klitschko is a very predictable fighter, schooled in the old Eastern European low risk style of establishing the jab then throwing right crosses with the occasional big left hook. In his case he has always got away with murder with friendly German refs allowing him to lean all over opponents too- although that tactic is obviously out fighting AJ. You would imagine this style will suit AJ down to the ground with his amateur background, and I would say he would struggle more with a more mobile opponent, particularly given his relative lack of head movement. Barring a miraculous adjustment in style, Joshua knows what Klitschko will do, and he knows he's quicker and more aggressive than him, with much more variety to his work.

There's also the fact that Wlad has looked a busted flush in his last two fights, unable to pull the trigger and throwing far fewer punches per round than in his pomp; he had no clue how to deal with Fury and looked awful against Jennings too.

However, we all know that AJ hasn't been in with anyone close to Wlad's level and that the latter is one of the most successful heavyweights ever. He seems more pumped up for this then I've ever seen him before. There's also the question of Joshua's whiskers; the only time he's eaten a big shot was in the 2nd round v Whyte and it took him a good few seconds to come to his senses. While Whyte starting swinging like there was no tomorrow and missed his chance, Wlad would surely close the show in those circumstances, he's far too long in the tooth to let an opponent off the hook there.

I think Wlad's tactics will be to survive the initial onslaught by Joshua and take him deep and use the ridiculous amount of experience he has to find a way to stop AJ late or take a decision. The fight could well depend on who can establish a jab first and AJ's lack of head movement could be a problem given Wlad's accuracy- although AJ's jab has come on well in the last couple of fights.

If I absolutely had to bet on something it would be AJ to stop Wlad between 4 and 6 but I wouldn't be surprised by any other outcome and I can't bloody well wait!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

You can make a good case for any possible outcome. When the fight was first announced I felt confident AJ would win but the closer it gets the more I waver!

There's no doubt that- despite the footage coming out of Austria of Wlad slipping punches and dancing around the ring- Klitschko is a very predictable fighter, schooled in the old Eastern European low risk style of establishing the jab then throwing right crosses with the occasional big left hook. In his case he has always got away with murder with friendly German refs allowing him to lean all over opponents too- although that tactic is obviously out fighting AJ. You would imagine this style will suit AJ down to the ground with his amateur background, and I would say he would struggle more with a more mobile opponent, particularly given his relative lack of head movement. Barring a miraculous adjustment in style, Joshua knows what Klitschko will do, and he knows he's quicker and more aggressive than him, with much more variety to his work.

There's also the fact that Wlad has looked a busted flush in his last two fights, unable to pull the trigger and throwing far fewer punches per round than in his pomp; he had no clue how to deal with Fury and looked awful against Jennings too.

However, we all know that AJ hasn't been in with anyone close to Wlad's level and that the latter is one of the most successful heavyweights ever. He seems more pumped up for this then I've ever seen him before. There's also the question of Joshua's whiskers; the only time he's eaten a big shot was in the 2nd round v Whyte and it took him a good few seconds to come to his senses. While Whyte starting swinging like there was no tomorrow and missed his chance, Wlad would surely close the show in those circumstances, he's far too long in the tooth to let an opponent off the hook there.

I think Wlad's tactics will be to survive the initial onslaught by Joshua and take him deep and use the ridiculous amount of experience he has to find a way to stop AJ late or take a decision. The fight could well depend on who can establish a jab first and AJ's lack of head movement could be a problem given Wlad's accuracy- although AJ's jab has come on well in the last couple of fights.

If I absolutely had to bet on something it would be AJ to stop Wlad between 4 and 6 but I wouldn't be surprised by any other outcome and I can't bloody well wait!

Agree with most of that, nice summary.

As I mentioned earlier, battle of the jab will be key. I would perhaps question the bit in bold. Over the years Wlad has had a habit of playing with his opponents and not finishing them off. He has never had the ruthless streak that his brother had.

I'm siding with AJ as like you say Wlad has been poor of late and he won't be able to lean on AJ. Important to remember that we still don't really know how good Wlad is given the appalling lack of competition he's had over the years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree with most of that, nice summary.

As I mentioned earlier, battle of the jab will be key. I would perhaps question the bit in bold. Over the years Wlad has had a habit of playing with his opponents and not finishing them off. He has never had the ruthless streak that his brother had.

I'm siding with AJ as like you say Wlad has been poor of late and he won't be able to lean on AJ. Important to remember that we still don't really know how good Wlad is given the appalling lack of competition he's had over the years.

Fair comment and I would normally agree with you, but Wlad seems so switched on for this one- and the stakes are so high- that I just couldn't see him missing such a chance on Saturday. If you watch round 2 of the Whyte fight back, AJ has completely gone for about 5/6 seconds after the shot, most top heavyweights would have got him out but Whyte got too giddy! Wlad knows he will have to grab any chance he gets imo.

I agree with your last point too, although of course you could say the same about AJ!

For anybody with satellite tv wishing to watch from home (without subscribing to, or paying for, Sky Sports Box Office), the match is being shown live and FTV on German tv - the Klitschko brothers are big stars in Germany and appear regularly on chat shows, game shows and the like.

The commentary will obviously be in German, but (for non-German speakers) you can always turn down the volume and listen to the radio commentary, a la TMS. 

3 hours ago, Stortz said:

I went to that Joshua v whyte fight . And he did get rocked by whyte as u say . Probably the only time he's been properly hit . Great night by the way definitely recommend a night at the boxing. With wlad I was so disappointed in his performance against fury . Fury definitely got in his head . But as you say Joshua's hardest fight by some distance. Can't wait 

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I didn't realise Fury v Parker was off.  Always seemed an odd fight.

An "undisclosed injury" apparently.

Meanwhile, here's a completely random link that has absolutely nothing to do with anything....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-4265138/JEFF-POWELL-Hughie-Fury-doping-hearing-set-mid-April.html

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

An "undisclosed injury" apparently.

Meanwhile, here's a completely random link that has absolutely nothing to do with anything....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-4265138/JEFF-POWELL-Hughie-Fury-doping-hearing-set-mid-April.html

Indeed, totally unrelated I'm sure.

It makes me laugh tbh, all the bitching they did about Haye pulling out on Tyson and they've shafted Klitschko twice and now Parker too.

edit- you must be delighted your mucker Tony is commentating on Saturday mate!

Edited by Stortz

8 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Indeed, totally unrelated I'm sure.

It makes me laugh tbh, all the bitching they did about Haye pulling out on Tyson and they've shafted Klitschko twice and now Parker too.

edit- you must be delighted your mucker Tony is commentating on Saturday mate!

I'm delighted! :clapping:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Haha.

I see Tyson is now saying he's fighting in July. Believe it when I see it.

Ha, I've heard it all now.

He'd have to be on a bucket of PEDs with a treble gak chaser 4 times a day between now and then to shift that lot, unless he's taking up sumo!

Been watching a lot of Joshua v Klitschko coverage this week. It seems a large number of pundits are tipping Wlad purely for his expierience and Joshua's lack of movement (as demonstrated in the Whyte fight).

From what I've watched, only Freddie Roach and Ricky Hatton seem to be backing AJ. Shaping up to be a great contest though.

On 25 April 2017 at 14:59, harry may said:

On a slight tangent here - I can remember Nick Wiltshire ( who fought for Avonmouth Smelting ? ) fighting for British titles in the early 80s. Anybody know what he's upto nowadays ?

Haven't heard anything about him for years harry, I used to know his dad who had Pier Stores in Clevedon, his brother moved to the states with my mate, but I believe he came back after a while.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Haven't looked forward to a fight this much for many a year certainly the biggest fight ever in this country. Guessing the fight is due on about 11ish?

Me either mate, I am absolutely buzzing for it.10pm sharp for AJ's ring walk Eddie claims.

Let's go champ!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Super said:

Actually didn't know Wlad has lost 4 times in his career. Amazing AJ has only had 44 rounds.

Statistics on Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko

His losses made him switch trainers to Emanuel Steward who developed his 'jab and grab' style, wether your a fan of the brothers or not you've got to say, it was very effective...

• Like 2