IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

4 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Like it or not, call it a 'circus' or whatever, but the fight has achieved it's aim: we're all talking about it and will undoubtedly all watch the build up and bout itself.

Very true- people have been talking about it for months already.

However, in protest at what a ridiculous match up it is, I'm going to steal this card from the internet whereas I'm happy to PPV for GGG Canelo 3 weeks later!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I won't be watching. I used to chip in a few quid with several mates in uni to watch PPV fights back in the day but these days I usually listen on 5 Live and watch the fight back later if it sounded good. I really enjoy Costello and Bunce's commentary. Obviously neither are as good as Paulie but what can you do.

:angry:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SARJ said:

The press conferences and build up will be absolutely hilarious, comedy gold.

The fight itself however will be a farce. The most 1 sided thing you could ever witness (Stortz - I'm thinking similar to Mayweather v Gatti but worse).

Interestingly a lot of pundits and online blogs backing McGregor to do something stupid to get himself disqualified but save face i.e. flying kick to the head at some point during the fight. No jokes. Sky also have Mayweather to win by DQ as evens. McGregor's ego is too big to accept a public humiliation, so this could be interesting if it pans out.

I'm certain there'll be clauses in the contract so that if McGregor does anything like that he'll get no money. 

Alternatively, maybe they'll 'script' it so that he does do something like that.. which inevitably leads to a rematch and more money for the pair.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Find it all rather sad in my opinion,got two great fighters fighting tomorrow and then ggg v canelo but all we are going to hear about is this nonsense of a fight. Mayweather can claim it as his 50th win but we all know it's not really,just hope there is a rematch in the mma because I would pay to watch pretty boy get his face caved in on the canvas 

• Like 3

Ward vs Kovalev 2 tonight, two of the best fighters on the planet and its hardly getting any hype. Hope Kovalev wins and puts right the dodgy decision in their first fight, its going to be good.

Might tune in to Paul Smith fighting for a World title (again) on SkySports 1 soon.

12 minutes ago, yardy said:

Ward vs Kovalev 2 tonight, two of the best fighters on the planet and its hardly getting any hype. Hope Kovalev wins and puts right the dodgy decision in their first fight, its going to be good.

Might tune in to Paul Smith fighting for a World title (again) on SkySports 1 soon.

Fingers crossed for Paul Smith, the least talented of the Smith brothers but comes across well every time I see him interviewed or during punditry

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@Stortz are you watching,this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen,paulie is going ballistic,purely shocking farce the rigondeaux fight

Just caught up mate. Wtf was going on in that Rigo fight, no-one had a clue! Matey was definitely faking it for the DQ though, so it served him right!

As for Ward Kovalev for sure Kov got punched in the knackers a couple of times but his moaning and bitching non stop to the ref was unbelieveable! Just punch him back in the bollocks and stfu! It's a shame the fight stopped so abruptly because it was great to watch. You have to say fair play to Ward for just breaking Kovalev down mentally and physically- again, questions need to be asked about Kovalev's stamina. I had Kovalev 1 up going into the 8th, but as @Rascal said above, Ward was definitely taking over the fight, just like the latter stages of first one.

The stoppage is a controversial one, some of the replays look like a couple of the punches were on the belt, but there was at least one flush in poor Kovalev's nuts haha.

The thing is Kovalev has only himself to blame by stopping boxing and looking at the ref- it gave Weeks the opportunity to stop it when nothing was coming back at Ward too. I can't see there being a third fight between them- I'm just hoping that Ward fights Stevenson next and knocks the horrible pimp mofo back to Haiti.
Edited by Stortz
removed fake tweet

16 hours ago, Rascal said:

He's been unlucky in both fights Kovalev to be fair. 

Just watched it through (I was at work so couldn't stay up) and thought that Kov felt he had to work extra hard in the early rounds, possibly cost him?!?

wierd finish, but he wasn't punching back so had no complaints...

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Who else does he fight to be fair? Cleaned his division up and there's no one at cruiser worth fighting...

I don't know about cleared out the division mate, Adonis Stevenson has the last belt. Artur Beterbiev is arguably as good as Kovalev and beat him in the amatuers too. At Cruiserweight there's Murat Gassiev, Oleksandr Usyk and Mairis Briedis- all undefeated, excellent fighters who would fancy their chances.

I think Ward and Hunter got a bit caught up in post fight euphoria tbh, because if AJ hit him with a stiff jab Ward wouldn't wake up for a week! There is no way he could keep AJ off of him, he doesn't have anything like enough power to make AJ think twice, he would walk right through his punches. And when you think how much Ward's game plan is to grapple, clinch, bully inside, spoil and cheat- can you imagine him trying that?! He'd be like an errant terrier trying to shag Joshua's leg and he'd just get swatted around the ring!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I don't know about cleared out the division mate, Adonis Stevenson has the last belt. Artur Beterbiev is arguably as good as Kovalev and beat him in the amatuers too. At Cruiserweight there's Murat Gassiev, Oleksandr Usyk and Mairis Briedis- all undefeated, excellent fighters who would fancy their chances.

I think Ward and Hunter got a bit caught up in post fight euphoria tbh, because if AJ hit him with a stiff jab Ward wouldn't wake up for a week! There is no way he could keep AJ off of him, he doesn't have anything like enough power to make AJ think twice, he would walk right through his punches. And when you think how much Ward's game plan is to grapple, clinch, bully inside, spoil and cheat- can you imagine him trying that?! He'd be like an errant terrier trying to shag Joshua's leg and he'd just get swatted around the ring!

Ward is at a point in his career where he needs big name fights. Stevenson is the name you've mentioned there but does he really want it? He seems very unreliable.   That fight would make the most sense. 

Disappointed with Kovalev i thought he would have put Ward away after the controversy of their first fight. Ward is one of those annoying boxers that just does enough to win, bit like Mayweather and Haskins.

The annoying thing for me is why did Tony Weeks stop it so early? Sure Ward hurt him and the fight was only going one way but they are two of the best fighters on the planet fighting for World titles, let them fight to the end....