IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

I can't agree with either of you. Mcgregor's team have edited two seperate incidents together to make the footage and you can clearly see that McGregor pushes him down with his glove on his neck. The punch he throws as he is holding Paulie misses altogether then the latter half trips over McGregor's leg prior to rolling over. You can even see Joe Cortez move in to rule no KD but the footage (surprise surprise) stops at this point. Here it is clearly visible in slow motion:

Frankly they are desperate for PPV sales as ticket sales are rumoured to be very low- they are trying to convince people with no clue whatsoever that McGregor has a chance.

They have treated a well respected boxer like a tosser by releasing the pictures and latterly the footage and other boxers are now refusing to spar McGregor- Andre Berto pulled out yesterday. What happens in sparring should stay in sparring, not be used to classlessly sell a few more PPVs.

And even if it was a legitimate KD, if they think knocking down a smaller, retired, out of shape Malignaggi by cheating gives McGregor a chance against Mayweather, then they are in an absolute world of shit come fight night.

On 12/08/2017 at 12:08, yardy said:

Yea looks like Conor was getting the better of Paulie but i expect that because PM isn't in shape and CM is the bigger man, would be interesting to see a prime PM against CM.

Its a shame it went tits up between the pair because PM would of taught CM a lot.

McGregor's team have spliced 2 different incidents into a 45 second clip from a 12 round spar. I don't see how you can draw a conclusion of who had the better of who from that! Paulie has called for an unedited version to be released after the fight and claims he easily won 10 rounds. I very much doubt that that will ever happen though.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

I can't agree with either of you. Mcgregor's team have edited two seperate incidents together to make the footage and you can clearly see that McGregor pushes him down with his glove on his neck. The punch he throws as he is holding Paulie misses altogether then the latter half trips over McGregor's leg prior to rolling over. You can even see Joe Cortez move in to rule no KD but the footage (surprise surprise) stops at this point. Here it is clearly visible in slow motion:

Frankly they are desperate for PPV sales as ticket sales are rumoured to be very low- they are trying to convince people with no clue whatsoever that McGregor has a chance.

They have treated a well respected boxer like a tosser by releasing the pictures and latterly the footage and other boxers are now refusing to spar McGregor- Andre Berto pulled out yesterday. What happens in sparring should stay in sparring, not be used to classlessly sell a few more PPVs.

And even if it was a legitimate KD, if they think knocking down a smaller, retired, out of shape Malignaggi by cheating gives McGregor a chance against Mayweather, then they are in an absolute world of shit come fight night.

McGregor's team have spliced 2 different incidents into a 45 second clip from a 12 round spar. I don't see how you can draw a conclusion of who had the better of who from that! Paulie has called for an unedited version to be released after the fight and claims he easily won 10 rounds. I very much doubt that that will ever happen though.

Agree - at first I thought it was a legit knockdown but then I saw the same clip you posted and it's a does look like there was some untoward contact.

It looks and sounds like, Paulie said this himself, McGregor did well in the sparring. Doing well vs an out of shape Paulie is totally different to Mayweather though, even at 40.

Would be very interesting to see the full 12 rounds. Paulie's contradicted himself a few times on how many rounds he 'won', it's gradually crept up as more leaks have come out.

19 hours ago, Stortz said:

Well said Stortz, I urge everyone to watch the footage carefully. Seems Malignaggi's claims were true. Certainly a glove behind his head and leg tanglement on the 'knock down' and it was also edited so Joe Cortez moving in to rule 'no knock down' was missed out.

Also, for 18 rounds of sparring, only a 14 second video from Dana White showing McGregor landing one cracking left hand. To me, doesn't scream that he dominated.

• Like 1

Just to add some balance to the conversation, I love the UFC. I love MMA. Had 4 trips to the states in the previous 24 months for UFC events, thoroughly enjoyable. 

Conor is an extremely talented boxer and I genuinely believe he will land one left hook on Floyds chin throughout the contest. Why? Mainly because I think Floyd will be more attacking than usual due to the fact he will want to knock Conor out and technically Conor is very astute at finding ways to land a leftie. HOWEVER... Conor has a major technical flaw in that he won't follow it up. I think he'll probably only land one as it is, but he can't produce a combination to go with it and one punch won't knock Floyd out. He can't even find combinations in the octagon so fat chance in the ring. 

As for the stamina, he doesn't have it. Round 7 will be where it gets tough. He will be blowing. Almost certain of it. 

Floyd will win. I'm not convinced he will KO a man that has been kicked and kneed in the face several times to no avail. 

4 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Just to add some balance to the conversation, I love the UFC. I love MMA. Had 4 trips to the states in the previous 24 months for UFC events, thoroughly enjoyable. 

Conor is an extremely talented boxer and I genuinely believe he will land one left hook on Floyds chin throughout the contest. Why? Mainly because I think Floyd will be more attacking than usual due to the fact he will want to knock Conor out and technically Conor is very astute at finding ways to land a leftie. HOWEVER... Conor has a major technical flaw in that he won't follow it up. I think he'll probably only land one as it is, but he can't produce a combination to go with it and one punch won't knock Floyd out. He can't even find combinations in the octagon so fat chance in the ring. 

As for the stamina, he doesn't have it. Round 7 will be where it gets tough. He will be blowing. Almost certain of it. 

Floyd will win. I'm not convinced he will KO a man that has been kicked and kneed in the face several times to no avail. 

Fair play, they must be amazing events to attend.

Interesting analysis of McGregor, but on what basis can you regard him as an extremely talented boxer?

Also, there is no way Mayweather will take chances to go for the ko imo. He wins fights like a machine, he has never let emotion cloud his judgement or preternatural fight management in his entire career.

Edited by Stortz

5 hours ago, Stortz said:

Fair play, they must be amazing events to attend.

Interesting analysis of McGregor, but on what basis can you regard him as an extremely talented boxer?

Also, there is no way Mayweather will take chances to go for the ko imo. He wins fights like a machine, he has never let emotion cloud his judgement or preternatural fight management in his entire career.

Yeah they're fantastic. Only 1 McGregor fight I have been to but they're all phenomenal. 

His boxing is what makes him a great MMA fighter; his ability to find ways to land a left hook are superb and that left hook is lethal. He's minke on his feet and has extremely fast hands.

Defensively I think he will be all over the shop but 

Like I said. I don't think the gap is THAT big, not like horrifically big. If Conor was a boxer he'd have a decent record. But I do think Mayweather will outclass him. 

Edited by EmersonsRed

On 16/08/2017 at 13:24, B1ackbird said:

Should be contender for fight of  the year Stortz.

Could well be the fight of many a year mate. 4 weeks tomorrow!

Indongo Crawford could be a cracker tomorrow night too. Dillian Whyte is on the bill pushing his claim for a pop at the Alabama Windmill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

I've avoided all the build up and haven't watched a second of any of it. To be honest its mainly due to the fact I can't stand either of them.

I'll stream the fight out of curiosity but I don't think for a second that McGregor stands any chance whatsoever. I'm amazed anybody thinks otherwise.

That sums up my thoughts as well.

Saw the Crawford fight - very impressive. Rumours he wants to move up in weight which would be interesting.

Saw the Whyte fight too - solid win, very easy for him though. I like Dillian White and how he's prepared to fight anyone. Would like to see him fight Jarrell Miller next, interesting fight with two very tough (but perhaps not the most technically gifted) fighters. Would like to see the winner of that fight go on to face Wilder.

Fight week for McGregor vs Mayweather - I will watch the weigh in which may end up being a better spectacle than the actual fight. McGregor looking quite gaunt after cutting weight. I imagine he'll blow up to 170+ for fight night.

15 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

I've avoided all the build up and haven't watched a second of any of it. To be honest its mainly due to the fact I can't stand either of them.

I'll stream the fight out of curiosity but I don't think for a second that McGregor stands any chance whatsoever. I'm amazed anybody thinks otherwise.

Hi Owl, always good to see you on here. I'm not even watching it tbh, will catch up in the morning if it transpires to be anything other than shite but I can't really see that happening. It's a bit like Cardiff v the Gas; only a meteor strike would be a good result or at least one of them won't lose! I'm personally far more intersted in Cleverley v Jack and Gervonta Davis than the 'main event'.

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Saw the Crawford fight - very impressive. Rumours he wants to move up in weight which would be interesting.

Saw the Whyte fight too - solid win, very easy for him though. I like Dillian White and how he's prepared to fight anyone. Would like to see him fight Jarrell Miller next, interesting fight with two very tough (but perhaps not the most technically gifted) fighters. Would like to see the winner of that fight go on to face Wilder.

Fight week for McGregor vs Mayweather - I will watch the weigh in which may end up being a better spectacle than the actual fight. McGregor looking quite gaunt after cutting weight. I imagine he'll blow up to 170+ for fight night.

Crawford is exceptional eh mate, dealt with Indongo like he was a rank amatuer- which puts Julius' fearful beasting of the Rickster in April into context haha. I can't recall another boxer who is so very very good in either a southpaw or orthodox stance and he carries serious power in both hands.

The Whyte fight was as expected with such a late replacement- the poor sod he was battering tried his best to get counted out 3 or 4 times before the end! There seems to be some noise on twitter today about Dillian fighting Lucas Browne next.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

Crawford is exceptional eh mate, dealt with Indongo like he was a rank amatuer- which puts Julius' fearful beasting of the Rickster in April into context haha. I can't recall another boxer who is so very very good in either a southpaw or orthodox stance and he carries serious power in both hands.

The Whyte fight was as expected with such a late replacement- the poor sod he was battering tried his best to get counted out 3 or 4 times before the end! There seems to be some noise on twitter today about Dillian fighting Lucas Browne next.

Very impressive, seems to have the whole package. Enjoyable to watch too.

Lots of traction about Lomachenko fighting Rigondeaux in early December. Would love to see that.

Browne would be another good fight for Whyte, feel he needs one more against at top 10/15 standard fighter before staking a real claim for the likes of Wilder or even a Joshua rematch which sounds like it could happen at some point.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Not sure how much more of this I can take. Roll on Sunday morning.

Mayweather doing his best to convince the press he's not training very hard for this fight. Been posting lots on social media and in the news saying how he's eating junk food everyday and spending more time having family days out than training.

Assuming he wants us all to think McGregor has a chance, thus buy the already struggling PPV?

24 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Mayweather doing his best to convince the press he's not training very hard for this fight. Been posting lots on social media and in the news saying how he's eating junk food everyday and spending more time having family days out than training.

Assuming he wants us all to think McGregor has a chance, thus buy the already struggling PPV?

I think its exactly that, spoke to a friend the other day who doesn't like boxing but has bought into the hype and build up for this, he reckons Mayweather isn't taking it seriously and McGregor will win. 

I think it's exactly as you say, to try and sell tickets to those who know its a complete mismatch. I think one or 2 of the Sky pundits have been asked to talk McGregor up for the same reason.

3 hours ago, Super said:

I see Paulie was embarrassing himself again. Bellend.

Him at McGregor going at it again as they entered the big Vegas press conference.

In Paulie's defence, I find it hard to believe McGregor 'beat his a$$' for 12 rounds. They set the poor bloke up a treat and now he's trying to salvage his reputation. Problem is, he's appearing desperate and unprofessional in his attempts to salvage this train wreck.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

still 1700 tickets left. Too expensive or people not that interested?

Whilst it pains boxing purists to say it, the interest is certainly there. Just look at the press conferences, crowds so far, social media vibes etc. The weigh in is also sold out.

The reason tickets are unsold is simply due to the obscene pricing. Not even the wealthy want to part with £17k for half decent seats.

Big article in Daily Mail today about the merchandising at the event and how expensive this is. £35 for a baseball cap!! Over £100 for a printed glove. Insane.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Whilst it pains boxing purists to say it, the interest is certainly there. Just look at the press conferences, crowds so far, social media vibes etc. The weigh in is also sold out.

The reason tickets are unsold is simply due to the obscene pricing. Not even the wealthy want to part with £17k for half decent seats.

Big article in Daily Mail today about the merchandising at the event and how expensive this is. £35 for a baseball cap!! Over £100 for a printed glove. Insane.

Thought they said on the radio that some seats left were only 1500 pound? Could be wrong though!

On 23/08/2017 at 10:02, SARJ said:

Him at McGregor going at it again as they entered the big Vegas press conference.

In Paulie's defence, I find it hard to believe McGregor 'beat his a$$' for 12 rounds. They set the poor bloke up a treat and now he's trying to salvage his reputation. Problem is, he's appearing desperate and unprofessional in his attempts to salvage this train wreck.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow I can see McGregor and Paulie fighting next year 

• Like 1