IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Owl Visiting said:

Should be an exciting fight, we'll get to find out how good Eubank really is. You'd expect Smith to be waiting in the final for the winner, another one to look forward to. I like this format, I hope all the fighters stay injury free and we see it through to its conclusion. 

Exactly. Eubank has only fought one decent boxer and lost.

34 minutes ago, Super said:

Few things on twitter saying Pulev is injured?

Shoulder injury from 10 days ago apprently. He obviously wants to fight on as he'll earn loads more than his entire career combined thus far, but even Eddie will struggle to sell Joshua v One Armed Pulev as a PPV if it's serious.

I'd sooner see AJ fight Whyte again that watch that tbh but it's probably too close for them to fancy it.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Never heard of him?

Surprised at that he’s fought Joseph Parker relatively recently and Povetkin a few years back. He’s not exactly unknown.

On short notice I don’t think it’s a dreadful stand in. He’s awkward and durable - short-ish for a modern heavyweight and stylistically quite different to Pulev.

I heard Hearn’s interview with IFL about this and apparently the procedure is to go down the order mandatory challengers if someone pulls out. 

Apparently the order was Takam, Hammer, Miller, Whyte, Breazeale but they’d had Takam training on standby in the event of this happening.

You’d think it’s going to be another easy night for Joshua.. as Pulev probably would’ve been too.

Outside of (a fit) Fury and perhaps Povetkin and Wilder (questionable technique but deadly power) I can’t see anyone being much of a challenge for Joshua at the moment.

I would’ve liked to see him get Miller if Takam couldn’t have been made. Very tough and weighs in quite a lot more than Joshua. He’s also a colourful character so that would’ve been good too. Hope he fights Whyte - that would be a great fight and buildup.

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Surely can’t be box office now? Won’t last 3 rounds 

According to Hearn on IFL TV tonight ‘the show goes on as normal’ with no changes to the price of tickets or PPV.

Interesting dilemma, Pulev wasn’t a massive draw and people weren’t going to see him as such.. but Takam is lower profile, the tickets are expensive and it’s PPV. Obviously Hearn doesn’t want to lose money but it’s a tricky one for him.

From a personal perspective I quite like the undercard with Whyte and Allen on there because I like them and follow them. For people who aren’t big boxing fans though it’s not an amazing undercard and with Joshua - as a mass market fighter - the undercard needs to be good if his opponent is low profile.

I can see there being lots of complaints about this, especially if Joshua gets the job done early, but nothing will be done. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surprised at that he’s fought Joseph Parker relatively recently and Povetkin a few years back. He’s not exactly unknown.

On short notice I don’t think it’s a dreadful stand in. He’s awkward and durable - short-ish for a modern heavyweight and stylistically quite different to Pulev.

I heard Hearn’s interview with IFL about this and apparently the procedure is to go down the order mandatory challengers if someone pulls out. 

Apparently the order was Takam, Hammer, Miller, Whyte, Breazeale but they’d had Takam training on standby in the event of this happening.

You’d think it’s going to be another easy night for Joshua.. as Pulev probably would’ve been too.

Outside of (a fit) Fury and perhaps Povetkin and Wilder (questionable technique but deadly power) I can’t see anyone being much of a challenge for Joshua at the moment.

I would’ve liked to see him get Miller if Takam couldn’t have been made. Very tough and weighs in quite a lot more than Joshua. He’s also a colourful character so that would’ve been good too. Hope he fights Whyte - that would be a great fight and buildup.

How valid a replacement Takam is hinges on whether you believe Hearn's claim that he's been in camp for 6 weeks imo. He was half decent a few years ago but has been on the wane.

After my initial disappointment I agree that it could be worse... but not much. They were never going to throw away a bigger future contest with some of the names on the IBF's list I suppose.

It won't look particularly good when a much larger AJ puts a much smaller Takam onto orbit haha but the same would have happened to Pulev.

According to Hearn on IFL TV tonight ‘the show goes on as normal’ with no changes to the price of tickets or PPV.

Interesting dilemma, Pulev wasn’t a massive draw and people weren’t going to see him as such.. but Takam is lower profile, the tickets are expensive and it’s PPV. Obviously Hearn doesn’t want to lose money but it’s a tricky one for him.

From a personal perspective I quite like the undercard with Whyte and Allen on there because I like them and follow them. For people who aren’t big boxing fans though it’s not an amazing undercard and with Joshua - as a mass market fighter - the undercard needs to be good if his opponent is low profile.

I can see there being lots of complaints about this, especially if Joshua gets the job done early, but nothing will be done. 

More chance of the gas getting a new stadium than Eddie Hearn pulling a PPV haha, he'll be in full Don King mode to sell this one!

• Thanks 1

Cheers mate. Not totally clued up on boxing like you and others on here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Cheers mate. Not totally clued up on boxing like you and others on here.

Thanks, I'm nowhere near the level of knowledge of @Stortz or a few of the others on here but really tried to make an effort to get to know the sport over the past 18 months or so. I've always had an interest but enjoy it so much more now I know more about the sport and about boxers outside the household names.

32 minutes ago, Stortz said:

How valid a replacement Takam is hinges on whether you believe Hearn's claim that he's been in camp for 6 weeks imo. He was half decent a few years ago but has been on the wane.

After my initial disappointment I agree that it could be worse... but not much. They were never going to throw away a bigger future contest with some of the names on the IBF's list I suppose.

It won't look particularly good when a much larger AJ puts a much smaller Takam onto orbit haha but the same would have happened to Pulev.

Yeah I agree - I do believe him about that, too much money in it for him not to have some sort of backup.

I want AJ to get past this mandatory situation so he can get a few more interesting fights next year.. Wilder, perhaps Whyte or Miller, and (hopefully) Fury. Hearn really emphasised that it was IBF rules that meant they had to get Takam as he was next down from Pulev in terms of a mandatory - covering himself so he doesn't get blamed I suppose!

24 minutes ago, Stortz said:

More chance of the gas getting a new stadium than Eddie Hearn pulling a PPV haha, he'll be in full Don King mode to sell this one!

Interestingly I see a few rumours on Twitter this morning from usually fairly reliable boxing accounts that it's no longer PPV and is going to be on Sky.. would be a nice surprise but can't see much concrete on that yet.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Super said:

Interesting - they've been building to this for a while. Malignaggi mentioned St. Patrick's day next year. 

FWIW I think a fully fit Malignaggi would make easy work of this. He won't be taking it easy like Floyd - he has a point to prove.

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting - they've been building to this for a while. Malignaggi mentioned St. Patrick's day next year. 

FWIW I think a fully fit Malignaggi would make easy work of this. He won't be taking it easy like Floyd - he has a point to prove.

Not what I wanted to hear :ranting:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Evening Stortz, what'd you think of MVP?

Hiya mate, hope you're well.

I think that he is a bit of a dick tbh, particularly with his Pokemon bollocks after he broke matey's skull with the knee!

Entertaining to watch box tonight though, he has ridiculous angles. If he could be bothered, he could be very good.

35 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Hiya mate, hope you're well.

I think that he is a bit of a dick tbh, particularly with his Pokemon bollocks after he broke matey's skull with the knee!

Entertaining to watch box tonight though, he has ridiculous angles. If he could be bothered, he could be very good.

Fine mate, hope you are too.

Dont follow MMA so I don't know anything about his past, looked OK but will be found out later on..

Decent debt from Joyce, better than a 15 second KO...

I would like to see him sit down more on his shots after round 3/4 especially as his opponent was more concerned about keeping his shorts up at the time..

:yes:

Edited by B1ackbird

17 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Fine mate, hope you are too.

Dont follow MMA so I don't know anything about his past, looked OK but will be found out later on..

Decent debt from Joyce, better than a 15 second KO...

Yes thank you mate.

The guy is a bit of an idiot it is fair to say:

Definitley agree re Joyce, so much better than being fluffed for 8 fights!