IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Made Jnr look like a pub brawler for most of the fight.

Jnr needs a decent trainer and fast, hopelessly one-dimensional tonight.

Completely agree , he needs to ditch his dad and his ego to an extent. He’s a good fighter with a lot of potential but needs a fresh approach 

Disappointed in that. Eubank got everything badly wrong and ended up looking outclassed. Trying to pick a knockout shot when he couldn't land anything and it was anyway questionable whether he had the power. Would have liked to have seen Groves press Eubank more, he was there for the taking I thought. Interesting that the crowd, who were initially roaring Eubank on, were towards the end jeering his wild misses.

Good pro beats what turned out to be a rudderless hype job, happy days!

Jnr could be naturally good, but he needs to get rid of his old man and get in some honest pros around him rather than yes men.

Hope Groves' injury doesn't ruin the tournament.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Good pro beats what turned out to be a rudderless hype job, happy days!

Jnr could be naturally good, but he needs to get rid of his old man and get in some honest pros around him rather than yes men.

Hope Groves' injury doesn't ruin the tournament.

If it turns out worse than thought then I guess Eubanks will replace him in the final 

I can't believe Eubank has got to nearly 29, with all the people around him,and still looks like a bang average amateur when he steps up in class, he should be coming into to his prime,he still looks like a newbie at this level.

Gobshite who doesn't have the the talent that his dad had in his little toe.

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Well Tyson was front row so maybe he could be his comeback fight at 250lbs 

Just as well Hamed had killer calfs, it must be the only reason he is still standing.

I wonder if he would scare Tyson the same way he "supposedly" scared Gary Mason back in the day

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What is Naz on about. Groves was class, an absolute masterclass of boxing skills. Eubank clearly not a middleweight, but no excuses with that performance. Amazing heart, amazing chin, and clearly got speed. But throwing huge shots from the outside without setting them up is unbelievably bad. Groves just moved out the way almost every time. And when Eubank landed a left hook, he would just stand there and not follow it up. I'm not surprised by Eubank starting slow, and not surprised by his wild punches missing by a mile. He's done all this before when stepping up in class against Billy Joe. But I am surprised by how ineffective Eubank was on the inside. But then how much heavier was Groves on fight night? At least a stone , surely. When he's so much bigger and heavier, it shouldn't be a surprise that Groves coped easily with him up close. When Eubank did catch Groves flush, it seemed to have zero effect on Groves. If you can't wobble a very suspect chin with flush shots late in fights, then that shows the power is not there. Eubank is not even that powerful at middleweight, let alone super middle. He has to move back down in weight now imo. As for learning the fundamentals of boxing like Duke suggested, I can't see how he can change as much as he needs to this far into his career.

CEJ is a busted flush, there are levels and he is clearly not near the elite after the performance tonight, cross referenced with the BJS one.

His career seems a triumph of style and hype over substance so far. Good luck getting any promoters to deal with them in the future too.

I agree that Naz should have given Groves far more credit than he did, but Mundo will go straight through him imo.

• Like 1

Anyone got any idea wtf Kevin Mitchell is on about here?

'From this vantage point at ringside, the first semi-final was closer than two of the three judges reckoned. Howard Foster scored it 117-112 and Steve Gray had 116-112, both for the winner, while Marcus McDonnell’s card of 115-113 for Groves was closer to many estimates. The Observer gave Eubank six rounds, Groves five, with one even, or 115-114 in favour of the Brighton fighter.'

From here: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/17/george-groves-chris-eubank-jr-fight-report

Seriously, what sort of lunatic thinks Jnr won that fight ffs? This man gets paid to write this.

Put the crack pipe down, Kevin.

4 hours ago, Stortz said:

Anyone got any idea wtf Kevin Mitchell is on about here?

'From this vantage point at ringside, the first semi-final was closer than two of the three judges reckoned. Howard Foster scored it 117-112 and Steve Gray had 116-112, both for the winner, while Marcus McDonnell’s card of 115-113 for Groves was closer to many estimates. The Observer gave Eubank six rounds, Groves five, with one even, or 115-114 in favour of the Brighton fighter.'

From here: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/17/george-groves-chris-eubank-jr-fight-report

Seriously, what sort of lunatic thinks Jnr won that fight ffs? This man gets paid to write this.

Put the crack pipe down, Kevin.

The same people who had Canelo beating GGG Probably...

:blink:

Terrible performance from Eubank, it was obvious from the first few rounds that he needed to change tactics but hasn't got the mentality or team to change things.

He has the tools to beat Groves but i fear his ego and his father are holding him back. To get instructions from Chris senior is just madness, the guy is nuts.

Ultimately the guy with the most experience and better tactics won the fight easy, Eubank really needs to re-think his whole career .

• Like 1