IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course the wifi stopped working at the 11th round. Up until then it based on what I saw it was a good fight, thought Kov was going to win going on the first two rounds but then Ward seemed to work out how to beat him. Very good quality fight overall. 

Yeah, Ward found a way to win as he always does. Like you after the first 2 rounds I thought Kovalev was going to walk it but Ward refused to be beaten.

There seem to be quite a lot of people claiming it was a disgrace and a home decision but it was so close I don't think anyone could complain at the scores, or if the bout had gone the other way- although I had Ward 2 ahead. Tense, exciting fight- bring on the rematch.

6 hours ago, Stortz said:

Yeah, Ward found a way to win as he always does. Like you after the first 2 rounds I thought Kovalev was going to walk it but Ward refused to be beaten.

There seem to be quite a lot of people claiming it was a disgrace and a home decision but it was so close I don't think anyone could complain at the scores, or if the bout had gone the other way- although I had Ward 2 ahead. Tense, exciting fight- bring on the rematch.

Just watched it, one of thoes fights that could have gone either way, depends what you like, Kov not fearing Wards power, Ward getting into trouble early on.

I really think that Kovalev will be kicking himself when he watches it back. After three rounds he was well in charge, but he let Ward regain control of the pace of the action.

Kov seemed content to cut the ring off and land single shots (mostly jabs). On the rare occasion he threw two or three punch combinations he had success, but was way too tentative with his considerable firepower. 

I don't know if Kov just tired early on, or if he was wary of Ward's attacking threat, but he didn't 'go for it' in the second half of the fight, and he'll wish he did. 

Of course, Ward showed his class to land the more attractive shots and will be relieved to have pulled that out the bag.

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I really think that Kovalev will be kicking himself when he watches it back. After three rounds he was well in charge, but he let Ward regain control of the pace of the action.

Kov seemed content to cut the ring off and land single shots (mostly jabs). On the rare occasion he threw two or three punch combinations he had success, but was way too tentative with his considerable firepower. 

I don't know if Kov just tired early on, or if he was wary of Ward's attacking threat, but he didn't 'go for it' in the second half of the fight, and he'll wish he did. 

Of course, Ward showed his class to land the more attractive shots and will be relieved to have pulled that out the bag.

I agree with you. As Paulie Malignaggi was saying on the Sky commentary, Kovalev was applying the wrong sort of pressure and playing to Ward's strengths.

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Agree three. I watched the replay last night.. I think Ward got close and stopped Kolalev getting his right hand away. Clever from Ward but Kolalev will probably rewatch and feel he could have carried on in the manner of the first 2 rounds and perhaps won by KO in under 6.

Rematch will be interesting.. Ward doesn't look quite as sharp as he used to..

Yeah I reckon you're right there, he doesn't look anything like as quick in thought or deed as in his pomp v Kessler, Froch or Chad Dawson.

1 hour ago, Super said:

I must be the only one that thought Ward lost that fight! As for Paulie really don't enjoy having to watch with the sound down.

No, loads agreed with you mate, just not on here! I almost @'ed you in when mentioning Paulie haha!

Lomachenko v Walters this Saturday, the fights are coming thick and fast!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

What do we make of the updated P4P ring ratings? Is GGG fair at 4..?

http://www.ringtv.com/ratings/?weightclass=251

Seems right to me, he really needs some big fights next year if he wants to challenge higher. I would put Lomachenko above Crawford and Rigo personally.

I see Boxnation are showing Parker v Ruiz live on the tenth. That'll be about a 10am start I'd imagine here, it's the morning of AJ Molina (and City Huddersfield!).

22 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Apparently he is going to smash Haye's lights out and then he want's AJ, Fury & Wlad... Funny guy!

I can't believe he's even fighting Haye at HW, let alone planning an assault on the entire division haha, he's delusional.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tony 'the bellend' Bellew :clapping:

They should have that on the posters imo, 'THE BERMONDSEY BITCH v THE BELLEND'!

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Shows that haye is more interested in money than fighting anyone decent at heavy,the quicker they both retire the better 

If he doesn't fight someone credible after this then it'll show beyond doubt that he isn't interested in titles. It'd be hilarious if Bellew won but will never happen. Slow as I am to complain about sport on free to view tv, at least this won't be on Dave!

8 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

If he doesn't fight someone credible after this then it'll show beyond doubt that he isn't interested in titles. It'd be hilarious if Bellew won but will never happen. Slow as I am to complain about sport on free to view tv, at least this won't be on Dave!

it would be funny comedy if Bellew beat him seeing as its all in Hayes favour 

7 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Maybe Haye should go through with his threat and beat Bellew with his left hand... hope Haye gets sparked out.

I'm not convinced this fight will actually happen. Haye will pull out with injury in the lead up. As much as Bellew talks trash , he will be very much up for the fight. His comments about Haye's bottle is spot on in my opinion