IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bellew has just said on 5live that he broke his right hand in the 3Rd and was carrying a knee injury into the fight.

Hearn has also said he's already received calls from Parker and Wilders people wanting to arrange a fight with Bellew.

I'm not surprised, it's an easy(er) fight for them, Bellew isn't a heavyweight but he's seemingly got all starry eyed over beating a far from 100% Haye & that fight wasn't a true reflection of a quality heavyweight contest.

Imo, Bellew would be better off dropping back down the weight but he has the £££££ signs in his eyes now & rightly or wrongly his first priority is his family's security but that isn't what is best for his career, he's seemingly hoping for one decent pay day at heavyweight rather than the possibility of say five smaller pay days at cruiserweight.

31 minutes ago, daored said:

I think a lot of it comes down to what Bellew said, he's broke, he needs the money. The fight pot was 7 million and I suspect Haye got a large percentage of that.

Oh yeah, Haye couldn't afford to not fight, his corner clearly knew all about it & in all honesty Shane McGuigan has gone down in my estimations, if he was truly looking after Haye's wellbeing he would of pulled Haye out of the fight as soon as there were signs of the injury & he didn't!! That to me is poor from his trainer!!

Bellew has also shot himself in the foot by opening his gob & offering the rematch, all he's got is £££££ signs in his eyes & a rematch will hold his career back!!

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In fairness Bellew has maybe 4/5 fights left so can't blame him for looking for the biggest fights possible now. 

Yeah or 1 defeat?!? 

A step up to a proper, fit, in his peak heavyweight is a whole different matter compared to Haye, he's far from ready for a heavyweight title fight so would there be the money available for a one off fight? Or should he go back to where he belongs, cruiserweight & continue to defend his title? I'd suggest he's better off at cruiserweight for his career & the financial benefits.

Strange fight and disappointing. Haye should never have been in there if his achilles was as bad as the rumours say, but understand why he went through with it regardless.

Sad to see my man Paulie Malignaggi go out like that too. Think it's time for him to hang 'em up, great career, but lost his speed and defensive prowess.

Just seen a few pictures from the fight and noticed that Haye was wearing Vivobarefoot trainers. I wear these for walking and generally knocking about in, but I can't imagine they're much good for boxing as they are minimalist shoes, basically golf gloves for your feet, and offer next to no support. I've never boxed and have no real clue what constitutes a good boxing boot, but I wonder if that was a factor in his injury.

I'm not even convinced he really means it yet. Easy to imagine him watching what happened on Saturday night, the farce and drama of it all, and getting the buzz back briefly, but it's a different story once he's actually training properly again and at least vaguely living the life. I hope winning the belts back really does motivate him as much as getting them in the first place did, because if this is just an impulsive move the comeback won't end well. Be great to have even a 75% Fury back in the mix this year though.

Plus, as mentioned above, he is still suspended from fighting in the UK, think his hearing is in April, so they're either reasonably confident in the outcome or this is over before it begins.

On 6 March 2017 at 11:13, SARJ said:

Strange fight and disappointing. Haye should never have been in there if his achilles was as bad as the rumours say, but understand why he went through with it regardless.

Sad to see my man Paulie Malignaggi go out like that too. Think it's time for him to hang 'em up, great career, but lost his speed and defensive prowess.

Like Mayweather V Pak Man with his shoulder I suppose..

9 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

At work mate, will Sky+ it though....

Boo at having to work! It's on Boxnation not Sky unfortunately mate.

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Will try to mate,easy enough win for trip g as per normal 

Biggest test for him so far though I'd say. Let's see how well he can perform against Jacobs who is a lot bigger than him...