IGNORED

How much money do we have?

wayne allisons tongues

As it seems people think we have an unlimited budget and should break the bank, how much have we got to spend.

If we have a 20 man squad on an average of 8k per week. That's £8 million in wages. If we average 14k gates at an average of £18 per ticket ( season tickets, juveniles averaged out) that means we take £250k per home game. That works out at £5.75 million so we are £2.25 million short.

if we are allowed upto £5 million losses and subsidized by owner then we've around £2 million pound before signing on fees in summer etc. or sponsorship etc. to play with or around £38k a week. 

Just interested in how much people think we have to spend, and where it's coming from,

Think how much we spend will depend on how well we are/aren't doing in January. Guessing somewhere up to £5 million. There's always ways round ffp, look at man city their owners came up with a £200 million stadium sponsorship deal to get round money being spent on transfers.

How much money do 'we' have? None

How much money does Steve Lansdown have? Plenty. 

What we know as fact is that SL subsidises a loss that has reduced from £15 million a year to the current £5 or £6 million a year. Plenty of scope to make bigger losses despite FFP but SL has made it clear he's not going back to those bad old days.The extra £2million gained by guaranteed tv rights in the Championship has effectively been spent on JK.

The determination to not go mad again at this level and be ultra cautious about wages is the poison chalice which SC drinks from. Which makes the 'reported' Gayle & Gray bids all the more mystifying. Unless, of course, Pelling thought Yannick's transfer to Spurs was money in the bank.

Perhaps the OP should be  titled "How much more is SL prepared to lose this year?" And only one person truly knows the answer. 

and

" Can we compete at this level with the clubs receiving parachute payments?" ( No)

" Is BCFC now financially prudent?" (Yes)

" Will other clubs gambling large sums become unsustainable and at risk?" (Yes)

and

" has this new financial prudence caused the baby to be thrown out with the bathwater?"  ( your answer here)

I thought transfer fees, weren't included in Ffp in the championship just wages and turnover. 

This is why I asked the question how much have we got, due to our average gate and lack of boxes etc. we are very short compared to other teams. With players pay rises from promotion and 4 new contracts in the summer have we reached our limit or close to it. The days of buying success are gone in the championship now I believe and recruitment and coaching is way to go.

Next year if we stay up with 18 boxes and all hospitality areas in the ground open as well and hopefully larger gates we can spend more. Trouble is if you over spend you face a transfer embargo (forest Leeds) or go for it like QPR and see how much clout the rules are regards breaking FFP.

i just don't think people realise how little we have to spend.

• Admin

Next year if we stay up with 18 boxes and all hospitality areas in the ground open as well and hopefully larger gates we can spend more.  

I was under the impression that those who bought boxes were already tied in this season, but using facilities in South Stand

Also, where do you think these extra supporters are going to come from? We couldn't sell out this weekend, unless we get to the prem we're never going to get anything more than current crowds 

Whatever the exact figures, it illustrates why SL is developing the ground, why he previously tried to build at Ashton Vale and why Bristol Rugby are playing at Ashton Gate. Clubs can't prosper on gate receipts alone and a new ground can generate a lot of non-match day income. Some fans object to Bristol Rugby moving in but, by being there, some fixed costs are spread over two clubs.  

t was funny listening to the Palace chairman on BT Saturday morning saying that when Palace were in this league they would be looking at making £7M loss a year just to compete. With the prem TV money they made £35M in there first year

I was under the impression that those who bought boxes were already tied in this season, but using facilities in South Stand

Also, where do you think these extra supporters are going to come from? We couldn't sell out this weekend, unless we get to the prem we're never going to get anything more than current crowds 

A well-worn topic this, but there is plenty of evidence to show that crowds increase on completion of new stadia as the whole "product" becomes that much more attractive to the casual fan (forgive the marketing speak).  There will also be greater scope for the club to reduce ticket prices to put more bums on seats.

Of course such an increase does rely on us maintaining our Championship status.

Sorry if I got it wrong regards transfer fees, I honestly thought transfer fees were out of Ffp and only signing on fees etc. counted. That was why we could bid £9 million for a player as it didn't effect Ffp.

Yes, we may well struggle to increase our gates next few years that's why off the pitch activities are very important now. If our gates don't increase then our wage structure stays the same and we will never be able to compete with other clubs wages wise. 

Ffp is very good to keep clubs houses in order but not fair on clubs who have people prepared to spend money for there hands are tied now.

We can make losses of up to 39m over a 3 year span. For the sake of an argument we can call it 13m a year. I'm pretty sure youth teams operating costs don't count towards turnover to encourage youth building. Same as the stadium. Doesn't count towards losses. 

From what I've read, transfer fees and wages count towards ffp. Transfer fees however can be split. Say we bid 8m for a player and he signs a 4 year deal. Think we can bill it as 2m per season. Can break it down over the life of the contract. 

So if as you say we get 5.5m per season in ticket sales(other incomes such as sponsors, shirt sales and other service not taken into account) and we average 10k wages over 20 players(10m). We've lost 4.5m of our 13m. Of course you've also got to add any tv money plus our other revenues. Which probably makes us closer 3m. 

So overall, I don't think money is the issue. We want to keep our flexibility(the ability to spend 10m if needed) while still being competitive. Also, if we only lose 4m this season that means we can lose more the next two seasons without breaching ffp. It's more complicated than I've made it out to be I am sure but I still think if we want to, any amount of funds will be available for the right player and the right situation. I can't see us spending big if we are real low in the table. If we however can turn it around and be mid table when Jan comes around then funds will be available, 

As it seems people think we have an unlimited budget and should break the bank, how much have we got to spend.

If we have a 20 man squad on an average of 8k per week. That's £8 million in wages. If we average 14k gates at an average of £18 per ticket ( season tickets, juveniles averaged out) that means we take £250k per home game. That works out at £5.75 million so we are £2.25 million short.

if we are allowed upto £5 million losses and subsidized by owner then we've around £2 million pound before signing on fees in summer etc. or sponsorship etc. to play with or around £38k a week. 

Just interested in how much people think we have to spend, and where it's coming from,

Transfer fees paid or received are not included in FFP. Neither are Academy costs.

FFP rules, I believe, currently allow us to lose £13 million on players salaries in one year. The financial year runs from 1 July to 30 June.

Our total income this financial year, is thought to be around £10/£11 million including TV rights moneys.

We, along with PNE, MK Dons and Rotherham have the smallest incomes in the Championship.

Archived