IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Day Thread

Wolverhampton is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a documented history that stretches back to 985AD when King Ethelred granted the title of land known as Heantune to Lady Wulfruna. 

Right thats all you need to know about Wolverhampton... apart from a few well known people who were born there and got the heck out as fast as they could..  ..OK so I have been through the list and I hardly recognise any of them. However, definitely worth a mention is the co-discoverer of the peptide hormone secretin Sir William Maddock Bayliss. He was born in Wolverhampton in 1860 but apparently was an Aston Villa fan. I think he chose well personally. I mean no disrespect to Wanderers but they are, after all, only a little club really in the Brummie scheme of things. *

It was rumoured for a while that Edward Elgar was born in Wolverhampton and it may have some element of truth in it but most documents suggest it was a small village outside Worcester which is indeed where he lived a fair part of his life. I believe the latter story because there is no way he could have written Pomp and Circumstance and Land of Hope & Glory while walking along Wolverhampton High Street. And there is nothing enigmatic or variable about the place either. One thing is undeniable though is his bicycle journeys from the village of Lower Broadheath to Molineaux; yup the young Elgar was an ardent Wolf. We could do with a bit of that hope and glory tonight.. how about the club cracking out a rendition of it as the teams warm up?!!

So how about Wolves the club.. well the name of the ground derives from the times of the Norman Conquests of 1066 and the de Moulins family from Normandy meaning 'Mill'. How fitting then that they changed the name back then to Molineaux meaning 'water mill' because they had a premonition there would be a football club called the Millers and they didn't want their football club having the same nick name.. thats a filler paragraph sorry.

But here is something far more interesting; Molineaux is the ground that hosted the first ever football league match in which Wolves defeated Notts county 2-0 on the 7th of September, 1889. The club was formed in 1877 and merged with a local cricket club called the Wanderers in 1879 to adopt their current name. And finally; in 1967 Wolves played one season in the USA under the fledgling United Soccer Association as the Los Angeles Wolves. They won the Western League title and then went on to beat the Eastern League winners, The Walnut Whips ** (Aberdeen no less) in the play offs. What an odd fact. Seems their success spurred on the English team and it was the beginning of a resurgence for the club even though in the late 80's they dropped to the 4th Division... they must have passed us on our way back up then.

* Wolves are indeed a relatively illustrious club from north Birmingham

** In fact it was Washington Whips but substituting the first word for Walnut just had to be done.

Eternal optimism reigns here in Manila so its 2-1 from me and its goodnight to you lot.

Cheer em on to victory.. lorra larfs.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia

Well done, yet again Havanatopia, a very good read.  I am afraid that unless SC changes the shape, which I can't see happening tonight, unless we take our chances, which hasn't been happening either, then I think that we will struggle and the best we can expect is a draw.  I hope I am wrong, but I have a funny feeling I won't be.  Still I will be listening and hoping for the best.  COYRs!

29 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not if you've spent any time there. For example, Are you? in Brummie is Are Ya? or Is Ya? but in Black Country it's Am Ya?

I could never tell the difference; its all nostril stuff to me.

23 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Be honest, does anyone have the foggiest idea or view regarding what might happen in tonights game ?  .... Is it going to be another case of too many mist chances? :)

You are right we all have little idea but if it is misty we might just have that chance.

21 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

One thing about playing Wolves, there's no disappointment in losing :( 

By the way, did you know that Wolves is the only football club in Britain whose name is composed entirely of vowels?

What? I hate losing... period.

I think you will find there are quite a few consonants in there old babber. ... oh I see what you did there .. very droll old boy. well done.

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

'Vibrant multi-cultural city' :laugh:. Do you work for a tourist board?

whoosh?

Edited by havanatopia

So Wolverhampton is named after Lady Wulfruna. bloody interesting stuff that right there.  Might have to Wiki it.

Still, the ethereal spirit of Lady Wulfruna isn't going to save them from being savaged tonight by our ferocious Robins!

I love a bit of crazy, unexpected optimism, so I'm going to tip a rout for the reds - a 4 - 2 City win.

Time for City to get angry....

Could be a season defining night I think... expecting a more-or-less unchanged side and certainly unchanged shape... so another bad defeat (say by 2 clear goals or more) and Cotts could come under real pressure. A win and the disappointment of Saturday can be put behind us and consigned as a 'blip'. A draw or one goal defeat with a good display and the jury is still out.

3 pts would be massive tonight, COYR.

4 minutes ago, Phil300884 said:

Notts county at home Nov 2002?

Water logged pitch I seem to remember

Not 100% on the date but the rest is right - Heffernan scored before he joined us.

That game should never have even kicked off, the ball barely moved and then when it did the players were going all over the place.

Think we won the rearranged game 3-0? 

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Good question.  Can't remember.  Didn't we also have City Cat around then?

The pigs were something to do with a double glazing firm's PR stunt. I cant remember the name now something like cold seal or similar. 

Scrumpy or city cat were knocking about with them too.

Edited by munchkjn
Typo