IGNORED

Nathan Baker

brad blit

Brilliant performance from him, Flint and Ayling at the back. That's what can happen when defenders work as a unit. They cleared almost everything and Baker was a huge part of that. He only got caught out once early in the second half when he took a throw in quite far up the pitch and didn't get back quick enough but other than that he was excellent. Looks a class act and I certainly wouldn't mind him joining us long term based on what we've seen so far.

7 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Quite simply a beast! 

Makes such a difference with him in the side, a proper no nonsense defender who does the simple pass in possession and nothing passes him! 

Kodjia will obviously get plaudits as best signing but this guy isn't far behind! 

Quite agree. Was my MOM by quite a stretch, makes such a difference

I was going to start a thread on him. Quality player, positional sense and reading of the game is top notch. 

3 minutes ago, smokey live said:

can aston villa recall him? or is that not valid on season loans?

I think you can pay a loan fee, which makes the parent club unable to recall them. Not sure if we did on Baker.

9 hours ago, brad blit said:

Quite simply a beast! 

Makes such a difference with him in the side, a proper no nonsense defender who does the simple pass in possession and nothing passes him! 

Kodjia will obviously get plaudits as best signing but this guy isn't far behind! 

Hopefully the club will pull out all the stops to make him a permanent

Outstanding player and will only get better.

8 hours ago, Just Red said:

Loan signings make me feel uneasy. I remember Tony Dinning all to well. Amazing player when he was on loan...

The difference is Baker is a slightly injury prone 24 year old who will still harbour ambitions of making it as a Premiership player. A couple of seasons ago he was a virtual ever present for Villa.

Dinning was a journeyman pisstaker, who simply stopped trying once he got a contract.

We've had plenty of loan signings since who were nothing like Dinning.

I doubt very much we'll be able to afford Baker permanently anyway, but him (and Kodjia) staying fit will be a big part of whether we survive or not.

11 hours ago, Kodjia said:

Baker gets my MOTM tonight, purely for when he was dribbling with his head on all fours in our 6 yard box near the end!

Was that Baker?  I thought it was Ayling.  Great effort though.  I especially liked the other City player stood over him ready to clear the ball thinking (it was written all over his face) "What on earth are you doing?".  Or words to that effect.

Archived