IGNORED

Sad Films............

TRUEBRIT66

Watched "Its a wonderful life" on Sunday and was told I'd be in tears...........have to say didnt really touch me.

So seeing as your all "well ard footie fans" what films have given you a lump in the throat ?

For me The Kid was an emotional rollercoaster sad one minute angry as hell the next.

Forest Gump and Dead poets society both good movies that pull on the emotional strings.

40 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Said to be a very realistic account of what those poor guys went through.

Me too I worked with a guy (sadly now passed) who suffered the most horrific shell shock and as 19 year old he was inducted into an international commando unit for D day, he was one of 23 who survived out of over 600 men having been landed at the wrong location.

One winters morning in 1977 he related the full horror of what he witnessed (bearing in mind how well before the film this was) he could have written that first 25 minutes, from the sea being red with blood and dragging an injured man who begging to be saved and realising it was only half a body, he told that the smell of cordite made him vomit immediately and his recurring nightmare was the amount of voices of friends calling for their mothers and to god. He had tears streaming down his face whilst recounting his story.

I have only watched the film once, I felt paralysed watching that 25 minutes and was in floods of tears, I could not believe how the reality described to me by this wonderful hero and that opening sequence could be so similar in every way.

RIP Bill Taylor a true war hero and south Bristol born and bred man.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Me too I worked with a guy (sadly now passed) who suffered the most horrific  shell shock and as 19 year old he was inducted into an international commando unit for D day, he was one of 23 who survived out of over 600 men having been landed at the wrong location.

One winters morning in 1977 he related the full horror of what he witnessed (bearing in mind how well before the film this was) he could have written that first 25 minutes, from the sea being red with blood and dragging an injured man who begging to be saved and realising it was only half a body, he told that the smell of cordite made him vomit immediately and his recurring nightmare was the amount of voices of friends calling for their mothers and to god. He had tears streaming down his face whilst recounting his story.

I have only watched the film once, I felt paralysed watching that 25 minutes and was in floods of tears, I could not believe how the reality described to me by this wonderful hero and that opening sequence could be so similar in every way.

RIP Bill Taylor a true war hero and south Bristol born and bred man.

Great post EMB ... proof that it doesnt necessarily take a great Hollywood movie to tell a story or stir the emotions ... Thanks for posting, if Bill Taylor is looking down now I'm sure he'd thankyou for your tribute too,

-thanks to Bill Taylor (& the hundreds of thousands of heroes like him) RIP 

I just remembered one where I did cry while watching it. I was about 9 or 10 and dad had terminator 2 on video. He let me watch it and to this day it's still one of my favourite films, but when Arnie was lowered into the lava at the end, I did proper well up as I didn't want him to go. :-( 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Green Mile

Up

Into the Wild

Boy in th Striped Pyjamas

Let the Right One In

all fantastic films, especially the bottom three.  Don't think I cried at any cos I'm a bloke but I remember it being quite hayfevery in my house when watching them 

The first 20 mins of Up are incredibly sad. Never known a film to start like that, least of all supposedly a kids one. Very cleverly done and unexpected!

Not sure 'sad' really does the first 20 mins of Saving Private Ryan justice. It's just absolutely horrific to be honest.

I remember watching "The Last Voyage", when I was about 4 (a film notable for the fact that an old liner, the Ile de France was actually sunk in shallow water for the foundering scenes). 

George Sanders played the captain who went down with his ship, and I was inconsolable, and very upset. Funny how a pretty unremarkable film can have such an effect on a young kid.

On 23/11/2015, 15:25:34, Red Right Hand said:

Has to be The Champ surely. `Don`t die champ, don`t die`. Well up every time.

On 23/11/2015, 15:44:53, Will Rollason said:

"Wrath of Khan" Spocks death scene.

"I have been and always will be... your friend"  blimey, im welling up just thinking about it!!

blub.jpg

When I read the thread title, those were 2 that immediately sprang to mind.

Life is Beautiful gets me too.

Archived