IGNORED

wheres the atomsphere

leader

Thank god there's people around who care about the atmosphere and are prepared to do something about it.

Hats off to the East End/Atyeo lot for getting things sorted over the last few seasons. As others have said, the stadium being a building site doesn't help but do we seem to be slowly slipping back to the bad old days of being one step away from a library.

It's not 'football without fans is nothing'. It's 'football without noise, colour and passion is nothing'.

For me, the  atmosphere is a critical part of the enjoyment of the spectacle. Can think back over a few decades of supporting City and some of the most memorable moments have been when we've been down and nearly out and the whole ground has stood up singing 'City til I die' and the likes. 

The difficulty is I find the orchestrated stuff sometimes a bit cringeworthy and artificial. Loads of flags hung up around the stadium would certainly help though and at least can help create the mood for a sing song and a bit more of a 'hostile' feel for visiting teams.

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Thank god there's people around who care about the atmosphere and are prepared to do something about it.

Hats off to the East End/Atyeo lot for getting things sorted over the last few seasons. As others have said, the stadium being a building site doesn't help but do we seem to be slowly slipping back to the bad old days of being one step away from a library.

It's not 'football without fans is nothing'. It's 'football without noise, colour and passion is nothing'.

For me, the  atmosphere is a critical part of the enjoyment of the spectacle. Can think back over a few decades of supporting City and some of the most memorable moments have been when we've been down and nearly out and the whole ground has stood up singing 'City til I die' and the likes. 

The difficulty is I find the orchestrated stuff sometimes a bit cringeworthy and artificial. Loads of flags hung up around the stadium would certainly help though and at least can help create the mood for a sing song and a bit more of a 'hostile' feel for visiting teams.

Would you describe drums (played properly) or a fan(s) with a megaphone leading as organised and artificial? 

Either way it would be better than the current crop which is shhhh.

27 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Agree completely. Hopefully when the Williams is finished the people who dislike the noise at football and complain about it will be diluted as they move back to the Williams and elsewhere. I hope one day the lower dolman becomes safe standing as well as the Atyeo if home fans remain there. I think this would boost the atmosphere and help it move around the stadium.

The SS has good acoustics so would be beneficial if there was a group in there who wanted to make an atmosphere.

5 hours ago, leader said:

its slowly leaving the gate and thats a disaster ..... all the lads in the atyeo are giving it a go but its just us, the south stand is sterile 5000 sat down come on its ashton gate lets copy watford hand out 2000 flags the team needs it ......MAKE SOME NOISE............GET THE GATE ROCKING.................. most teams used to hate coming to ashton gate........... do it before its to late

Yep we are giving it a good go but there was an obvious attempt to dilute, annoy or distract the Atmosphere in the Atyeo by those stewards who don't seem to get that it is a ''Relaxed Attitude'' stand and maybe home and away fans had even swapped sides?.

Below many points emailed to me and i have read on various media forms by people i don't doubt.  (yes i also heard and seen a fair bit of this about the pre match briefing as i was putting flags up from 9am and it raised my eyebrows for sure). I will say for a few seasons and this season so far the stewards have been really good but saturday we returned to the dark days of them and us and it is just not healthy for anyone and nothing will change if people can't work together club/bs/fans and all.

A very unprofessional showing by safe and sound on Saturday and needs addressing.

Steward 201 saying that there was 'obviously' a higher risk due to paris incident' when asked about these new rules that werent in p
lace when we were the other side of the stand with a set of stewards who took part and enjoyed friendly banter.

Stewards laughing and pointing at city fans when Hull scored which can only be described as antagonistic.

Stewards coming up in to the Atyeo every 5 minutes to have a pop at fans over what would be said as nothing and again it was antagonistic.

The fast response team positioned right in that dolman and Atyeo corner constantly dogging people up and body language and stance of their appearance in a provocative and yes antagonistic nature and the other stewards just not letting up of the most stupid of issues and were rude and not wanting to engage with fans in a helpful way and yet again came accross as antagonistic and one had a scarf around the face with what can be suggested to conceal the face, yeah it was a cold day but no other persons in the ground was doing this.

Their pre match briefing while we were putting the flags up was negative towards the fans and the words of "this is our stand not theirs" and "they can't do what they want" was used which they were up for antagonising the supporters on Saturday which they did and spoiled the atmosphere may they be reminded we are the paying customers who contribute to Bristol city who then pay wages and no it is not their stand or even the stadium it is Steve lansdowns.

The chap with the glasses leading the charge of stewards has a history of being a antagonistic to supporters from the other stands in the past and was heard saying these bastards can fuck off on my watch flags and all, i feel this steward is not suited to work this type of stand and supporters which has clearly been given as a relaxed area and nothing was as bad as this the other side of the stand which FANS and CLUB/BS have commented of being success so far.

Stewards 210 moaning about gangways for 90 minutes which really were not blocked and getting the control room to zoom in on people with cameras for next to nothing. Also he was bleeting on that he was there for fans safety and if there was an emergency what would happen if the gangways was blocked but they wer not, fans were stating people would move, but he wasn't listening to anything the fans were saying and was simply rude about it and antagonistic.

Fans don't buy into the "I'm just doing my job" clap trap.

People had literally one foot in the 1.5metre wide gangway and he was telling them to move. It was pathetic. On a day that was always going to be difficult to create an atmosphere for a variety of reasons, the stewards made it near impossible.

So why if safety is a concern, do they force us out that tiny walkway rather than open those gates between the Dolman and Atyeo at full time or have they not remembered this section is no longer away fans?.

stewards.thumb.jpg.7a65c78fb1c31d1cd5f91

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Would you describe drums (played properly) or a fan(s) with a megaphone leading as organised and artificial? 

Either way it would be better than the current crop which is shhhh.

Think I may be a bit 'old school' for megaphones, perhaps a little less so drums.

However, if each part of the ground does its own bit in its own way, then 'each to his own' and 'megaphones and drums' could play a part of creating a unique atmosphere for The Gate. As you say, something is better than nothing atmosphere wise. 

No......actually megaphones, not keen on tbh. Would be great if we could come up with something a bit different and a 'one off'. Think with some of our genuine creative talent that fortunately seems to exist within the City supporting family we could do something different atmosphere-wise and not just copy what others have done. While I'm on the subject the Angry Robin, the murals et al .... whoever was involved in that ... just superb. 

19 minutes ago, cider head said:

Steward 201 saying that there was 'obviously' a higher risk due to paris incident' when asked about these new rules that werent in place when we were the other side of the stand with a set of stewards who took part and enjoyed friendly banter.

That's utter nonsense, insofar as I managed to get a massive bag of all sorts in on Saturday without being searched - they weren't interested in searching it either when I offered.  Anyone with horrific intentions could easily waltz in and cause carnage.

I'm not suggesting a full bag or body search as I don't think there is necessarily a risk at BCFC (however ignorant that is) - but if there is a heightened risk and its being used to justify a change of actions, then get the basics right or carry on as before.

36 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

'. Think with some of our genuine creative talent that fortunately seems to exist within the City supporting family we could do something different atmosphere-wise and not just copy what others have done. While I'm on the subject the Angry Robin, the murals et al .... whoever was involved in that ... just superb. 

Refer to the post about avenues of colour.

A conceptual idea called Red Walls has been toyed with which includes very similar ideas, but less strident than the Angry Robin. It would include at one level sponsorrship via fans / local small businesses.

Spaces externally and internally would be used to create Red walls of colour by using art/flags. Permanent and semi permanent - Bristol City now has partners.

On matchday that should be a Red Wall.

AE3A02A6-BF46-4B39-9061-059A22F7C2CB_zps

And this.

DSC00482.jpg

And maybe here.

DSC00480.jpg

And that.

DSC00484.jpg

And this could be an avenue of  colour. Bristol City's colours.

DSC00492.jpg

Think with some of our genuine creative talent that fortunately seems to exist within the City supporting family we could do something different atmosphere-wise and not just copy what others have done .. Different is there, it is waiting to happen. the big opportunity has probably passed by, but Bristol City does not have to be sterile, a library, bang average, mediocre ...

8 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

"Right then lads and lasses.  Any enjoyment from today's fans and they get short shrift.  Do we understand?"

"Yes, Master"

You got it ;)

''I TOLD YOU TO STOP ANY ENJOYMENT'  ''GET ON WITH IT''

A lot of wages there segregating, ummm, home fans from home fans??  :fear: 

Stewards3.thumb.jpg.5e4fbf31771f385e6f70

28 minutes ago, cider head said:

Yep we are giving it a good go but there was an obvious attempt to dilute, annoy or distract the Atmosphere in the Atyeo by those stewards who don't seem to get that it is a ''Relaxed Attitude'' stand and maybe home and away fans had even swapped sides?.

Below many points emailed to me and i have read on various media forms by people i don't doubt.  (yes i also heard and seen a fair bit of this about the pre match briefing as i was putting flags up from 9am and it raised my eyebrows for sure). I will say for a few seasons and this season so far the stewards have been really good but saturday we returned to the dark days of them and us and it is just not healthy for anyone and nothing will change if people can't work together club/bs/fans and all.

A very unprofessional showing by safe and sound on Saturday and needs addressing.

Steward 201 saying that there was 'obviously' a higher risk due to paris incident' when asked about these new rules that werent in p
lace when we were the other side of the stand with a set of stewards who took part and enjoyed friendly banter.

Stewards laughing and pointing at city fans when Hull scored which can only be described as antagonistic.

Stewards coming up in to the Atyeo every 5 minutes to have a pop at fans over what would be said as nothing and again it was antagonistic.

The fast response team positioned right in that dolman and Atyeo corner constantly dogging people up and body language and stance of their appearance in a provocative and yes antagonistic nature and the other stewards just not letting up of the most stupid of issues and were rude and not wanting to engage with fans in a helpful way and yet again came accross as antagonistic and one had a scarf around the face with what can be suggested to conceal the face, yeah it was a cold day but no other persons in the ground was doing this.

Their pre match briefing while we were putting the flags up was negative towards the fans and the words of "this is our stand not theirs" and "they can't do what they want" was used which they were up for antagonising the supporters on Saturday which they did and spoiled the atmosphere may they be reminded we are the paying customers who contribute to Bristol city who then pay wages and no it is not their stand or even the stadium it is Steve lansdowns.

The chap with the glasses leading the charge of stewards has a history of being a antagonistic to supporters from the other stands in the past and was heard saying these bastards can **** off on my watch flags and all, i feel this steward is not suited to work this type of stand and supporters which has clearly been given as a relaxed area and nothing was as bad as this the other side of the stand which FANS and CLUB/BS have commented of being success so far.

Stewards 210 moaning about gangways for 90 minutes which really were not blocked and getting the control room to zoom in on people with cameras for next to nothing. Also he was bleeting on that he was there for fans safety and if there was an emergency what would happen if the gangways was blocked but they wer not, fans were stating people would move, but he wasn't listening to anything the fans were saying and was simply rude about it and antagonistic.

Fans don't buy into the "I'm just doing my job" clap trap.

People had literally one foot in the 1.5metre wide gangway and he was telling them to move. It was pathetic. On a day that was always going to be difficult to create an atmosphere for a variety of reasons, the stewards made it near impossible.

So why if safety is a concern, do they force us out that tiny walkway rather than open those gates between the Dolman and Atyeo at full time or have they not remembered this section is no longer away fans?.

stewards.thumb.jpg.7a65c78fb1c31d1cd5f91

To be fair these stewards normally work in the bar .

I must say the stewards spoiled the game on the weekend, also I was there and heard this outburst from the head steward chap too, it's an odd approach that he took, some of his colleagues looked embarrassed.

Aside from that I think the atmosphere is building, give it some more time, people have been moved 4 times in 3 seasons, also many voices were missing on the weekend.

Things are improving slowly and there are a couple of groups organised enough to improve things, there is stuff happening behind the scenes. Also if other groups were given the same freedom that'd help the atmosphere no-end.

4 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

I must say the stewards spoiled the game on the weekend, also I was there and heard this outburst from the head steward chap too, it's an odd approach that he took, some of his colleagues looked embarrassed.

Aside from that I think the atmosphere is building, give it some more time, people have been moved 4 times in 3 seasons, also many voices were missing on the weekend.

Things are improving slowly and there are a couple of groups organised enough to improve things, there is stuff happening behind the scenes. Also if other groups were given the same freedom that'd help the atmosphere no-end.

Agreed, Although this building for me always feels like making sand castles on the beach and there is always some bully trying to put their size 9's in to it.

8 years of it mate ;)

I have to say I was massicely disappointed by stewards on Saturday, we all know the real reasons the change in ends happens but it shouldn't be taken out on fans. 

You shouldn't see stewards actively enjoying telling fans to do this and that, you shouldn't see the stewards enjoying leading his "troops" up and down the stairs. 

I undestand that they are just doing their job, but there is a manner and way just to do it.

When approached by fans who wanted a civil conversation about what was happening it was met by comments such as "im getting control to zoom in on you a moment". That to me is an intimidation tactic, done purely to create a us and them attitude. You shouldn't be asking control to film fans simply for wanting to discuss issues. 

At times on Saturday there were up to 15 stewards watching home fans, is that really needed? Or are safe and sound trying to prove a point after their previous failings this season?

The lads in the corner do a terrific job but it doesn't spread that well across the stand, I stand inbetween the singers and seated supporters and I've never heard a thing to my left in previous games. 

If anything it would probably be better off if they were in the middle. Obviously not asking them to move but just thinking out loud what would be best to improve the atmosphere! 

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The lads in the corner do a terrific job but it doesn't spread that well across the stand, I stand inbetween the singers and seated supporters and I've never heard a thing to my left in previous games. 

If anything it would probably be better off if they were in the middle. Obviously not asking them to move but just thinking out loud what would be best to improve the atmosphere! 

Lew-t . Unfortunately, due to complaints from fans, in order to do flags it needs to be in corner. 

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Get singing fella' and encourage the rest of the middle bit to sing ;)

9 minutes ago, BCFCS82 said:

Lew-t . Unfortunately, due to complaints from fans, in order to do flags it needs to be in corner. 

I haven't seen one person on FB, Twitter or here complain about flags. I can't help but think of this..

is that possible the club would exaggerate/fabricate or even just make up complaints for whatever reason?

Seems to be an assumption that the redevelopment is not helping the atmosphere and that it will be better next season when the West Stand is complete.  Although acoustically it will help to have four complete sides again, I worry that the atmosphere will actually be worse, if we have roughly the same number of supporters spread out across four sides.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I haven't seen one person on FB, Twitter or here complain about flags. I can't help but think of this..

is that possible the club would exaggerate/fabricate or even just make up complaints for whatever reason?

There were a few in the stand who had a moan about flags being waved in front of them but that was on a match day and resolved by both parties swapping where each other stood, move around taking advantage of the unreserved thats been given, job done. But the club did say they would prefer flags on poles to be waves in the upper corners to prevent any future potential complaints or issues, true enough as i and others have had face to face talks with BCFC/BS over stuff like this and fans have done their bit by making flyers and passing them around the stand getting over the clubs wishes..

1 minute ago, cider head said:

There were a few in the stand who had a moan about flags being waved in front of them but that was on a match day and resolved by both parties swapping where each other stood, move around taking advantage of the unreserved thats been given, job done. But the club did say they would prefer flags on poles to be waves in the upper corners to prevent any future potential complaints or issues, true enough as i and others have had face to face talks with BCFC/BS over stuff like this and fans have done their bit by making flyers and passing them around the stand getting over the clubs wishes..

Being cynical about this, it feels like the club used any excuse to push you guys into the corner. I wouldn't be surprised at all if complaints were exaggerated. 

Wavy flags may be a bit of a problem obstructing views for geriatrics and similarly like-minded folks but hung flags, surely, can't be an issue provided they don't unduly obstruct advert hoardings and safety signs?

Those 'red walls', blimey, doesn't anybody know Banksy on here? He's alledgedly a City fan, wouldn't it be great if he did a bit - appealing to his generous nature/’spirit to give something back to the City like Uncle Steve has (even if it is only an image that slags off the corruption in FIFA given his political sway).

Imagine, an outdoor mural gallery centred on Ashton Gate - ticks all the boxes. Think of the revenue and interest that would create for our Club!!! That really would instantly put us on the world stage. ... we'd have more Chinese, Japanese and US fans than Man U.

SL don't be so blinkered, AG as a 'sport and arts venue' that's the way forward. DMS walls could be done as well and we can have stalls selling prints, T shirts 24/7 .... 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Being cynical about this, it feels like the club used any excuse to push you guys into the corner. I wouldn't be surprised at all if complaints were exaggerated. 

This.

They seem more pragmatic about these things at Anfield :)

24 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Those 'red walls', blimey, doesn't anybody know Banksy on here? He's alledgedly a City fan, wouldn't it be great if he did a bit - appealing to his generous nature/’spirit to give something back to the City like Uncle Steve has (even if it is only an image that slags off the corruption in FIFA given his political sway).

Imagine, an outdoor mural gallery centred on Ashton Gate - ticks all the boxes. Think of the revenue and interest that would create for our Club!!! That really would instantly put us on the world stage. ... we'd have more Chinese, Japanese and US fans than Man U.

SL don't be so blinkered, AG as a 'sport and arts venue' that's the way forward. DMS walls could be done as well and we can have stalls selling prints, T shirts 24/7 .... 

The art work being done is the easy bit but getting any answer on ''can we do this please'' is like getting blood out of a stone but we are still asking, trying but we'll see.

Just a simple mock up of what can be done or if not better? just needs to spark ideas and give the place a more varid feel.

Art work at the start of the season in the Atyeo concourse was deemed ok, if on boards that can be taken down after each game but to do that it needs time, people and storage etc.

carpark.jpg.0bd822f877ed2d221745af62ed87

Archived